    leakage. Are these likely to be the cause of trouble?

    Any advice?

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 29, 2009

  2. John Little

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4e2c6247-6a5b-4fb4-80ca-4adf58089d33
    @h40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > Hi all
    >
    > My Philips Brilliance 200W screen failed last week. One day it was
    > fine, the next completely dead. This happened a few days after it was
    > moved around a bit, the floor being recovered.
    >
    > It's just over three years old.
    >
    > Taking it apart to see what I see, all I found was two capacitors
    > whose ends were slightly swollen, perhaps by 1 mm, with no obvious
    > leakage. Are these likely to be the cause of trouble?
    >
    > Any advice?

    If you bought it retail - then take it back and get it fixed or
    replaced.

    Make no talk about any manufacturers warranty - if they persist along
    that line - move off it. Stick with the Consumer Garuantees Act. Get
    them to agree to fix it and get them to do so in an agreed time period
    (set a date or timeframe).

    More info...
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 29, 2009

  3. John Little

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <4e2c6247-6a5b-4fb4-80ca-4adf58089d33
    > @h40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > My Philips Brilliance 200W screen failed last week. One day it was
    > > fine, the next completely dead. This happened a few days after it was
    > > moved around a bit, the floor being recovered.
    > >
    > > It's just over three years old.
    > >
    > > Taking it apart to see what I see, all I found was two capacitors
    > > whose ends were slightly swollen, perhaps by 1 mm, with no obvious
    > > leakage. Are these likely to be the cause of trouble?
    > >
    > > Any advice?

    > If you bought it retail - then take it back and get it fixed or
    > replaced.
    >
    > Make no talk about any manufacturers warranty - if they persist along
    > that line - move off it. Stick with the Consumer Garuantees Act. Get
    > them to agree to fix it and get them to do so in an agreed time period
    > (set a date or timeframe).
    >
    > More info...
    > http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act

    Some more good info here...
    http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/thiswayup/20090711

    Download and listen to the Product Lives - r.click and save the mp3
    file.

    You may also then want to scroll down and download the guff listed in
    the article, "First up this week".

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 30, 2009
  4. John Little

    impossible Guest

    "John Little" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > My Philips Brilliance 200W screen failed last week. One day it was
    > fine, the next completely dead. This happened a few days after it was
    > moved around a bit, the floor being recovered.
    >
    > It's just over three years old.
    >
    > Taking it apart to see what I see, all I found was two capacitors
    > whose ends were slightly swollen, perhaps by 1 mm, with no obvious
    > leakage. Are these likely to be the cause of trouble?
    >
    > Any advice?

    Are you sure it's the monitor that's gone bad? And not the video card? Or
    not simply a loose connection in the box?

    impossible, Nov 30, 2009
  5. John Little

    John Little Guest

    On Nov 30, 2:36 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:

    > Are you sure it's the monitor that's gone bad? And not the video card? Or
    > not simply a loose connection in the box?

    The on board video drives other screens no trouble. And I said
    completely dead, the power led doesn't even come on. When it was
    working, if switched on and not connected, there'd first be a Philips
    splash screen, then a message to say there's no input. I checked the
    fuse, and it was ok (until I crushed it).

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 30, 2009
  6. John Little

    John Little Guest

    On Nov 30, 12:47 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >  Stick with the Consumer Garuantees Act.  Get

    CGA doesn't apply, I've claimed the GST, depreciated it, and so on.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 30, 2009
  7. John Little

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 23:10:42 -0800 (PST), John Little
    <> wrote:

    >On Nov 30, 12:47 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>  Stick with the Consumer Garuantees Act.  Get

    >CGA doesn't apply, I've claimed the GST, depreciated it, and so on.
    >
    >Regards, John

    YES IT DOES, but then again Philips is know as not being a reliable product..

    Mary Hanna, Nov 30, 2009
  8. John Little

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 23:10:42 -0800 (PST), John Little
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Nov 30, 12:47 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >>  Stick with the Consumer Garuantees Act.  Get

    > >CGA doesn't apply, I've claimed the GST, depreciated it, and so on.
    > >
    > >Regards, John

    > YES IT DOES, but then again Philips is know as not being a reliable product..

    No Mary, only if it is a retail purchase.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 30, 2009
  9. John Little

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:27:25 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 23:10:42 -0800 (PST), John Little
    >> <> wrote:

    >> >CGA doesn't apply, I've claimed the GST, depreciated it, and so on.
    >> >
    >> >Regards, John

    >> YES IT DOES, but then again Philips is know as not being a reliable product..

    >No Mary, only if it is a retail purchase.

    Then its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    Mary Hanna, Nov 30, 2009
  10. John Little

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:27:25 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> YES IT DOES, but then again Philips is know as not being a reliable product..

    > >No Mary, only if it is a retail purchase.

    > Then its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    Irrelevant - it is NOT covered by C(=Consumer)GA.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Nov 30, 2009
  11. John Little

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:58:26 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:27:25 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> > says...

    >> >No Mary, only if it is a retail purchase.

    >> Then its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    >Irrelevant - it is NOT covered by C(=Consumer)GA.

    Seems that you cant read I will State again

    Its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    Mary Hanna, Dec 1, 2009
  12. John Little

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:58:26 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Then its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    > >Irrelevant - it is NOT covered by C(=Consumer)GA.

    > Seems that you cant read I will State again
    >
    > Its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    What IS your point?

    Teh SOG will not help the OP. It provides very limited protection, and
    can be contracted out of. Not only can it be - it is most likely -
    *most* firms will provide a warranty along the lines:
    "No other warranties either express or implied by law are made..." -
    good-bye SOG.

    So yer back to manufacturer warranty level.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Dec 1, 2009
  13. John Little

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:06:21 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 11:58:26 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> > says...

    >> >Irrelevant - it is NOT covered by C(=Consumer)GA.

    >> Seems that you cant read I will State again
    >>
    >> Its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    >What IS your point?
    >
    >Teh SOG will not help the OP. It provides very limited protection, and
    >can be contracted out of. Not only can it be - it is most likely -
    >*most* firms will provide a warranty along the lines:
    >"No other warranties either express or implied by law are made..." -
    >good-bye SOG.
    >
    >So yer back to manufacturer warranty level.

    Seems to me you know so little..

    Mary Hanna, Dec 1, 2009
  14. John Little

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 15:06:21 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> Seems that you cant read I will State again
    > >>
    > >> Its covered by the Sales of Goods Act..

    > >What IS your point?
    > >
    > >Teh SOG will not help the OP. It provides very limited protection, and
    > >can be contracted out of. Not only can it be - it is most likely -
    > >*most* firms will provide a warranty along the lines:
    > >"No other warranties either express or implied by law are made..." -
    > >good-bye SOG.
    > >
    > >So yer back to manufacturer warranty level.

    > Seems to me you know so little..

    Suggest you stick to your *mainframe* - *Mary*.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Dec 2, 2009