    not the case. Has anyone had any experience returning a motherboard to
    Intel? A USB mouse works fine, but a USB mouse does not work unless
    booting into Windows.

    mcp6453, Feb 29, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Michael-NC Guest

    Don't worry about what they _might_ say, just call up and get an RMA.

    Michael-NC, Feb 29, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Jerry G. Guest

    I normally go through a dealer, so there were no problems with the
    warranties.

    It is possible that the PS2 mouse became defective, thus blowing something
    on the mother board. I had this once happen. I returned a mother board
    because the PS2 port stopped working. The new mother board also did not
    work.

    I then tried a new PS2 mouse with another mother board that was exchanged.
    It worked! I brought back the suspect mouse to the dealer. He tried it on
    his computer, and his mother board was damaged! I suggested that the mouse
    was defective. He told me that this was a brand new mouse, and he did not
    believe me. He was not very happy about this one when his mother board was
    also blown.

    I believe that there is an SMD type fuse on the mother board for the mouse.
    If you know where it is, and can get one from any of the local electronics
    distributors, and you have the SMD soldering equipment and proper training,
    you can change the fuse yourself. But, if the board is under warranty, you
    are best off to get it exchanged.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg
    ===========

    Jerry G., Feb 29, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Professor Guest

    If you did anything while the power was on you would most likely short out
    the whole motherboard. As long as you unplugged the power and grounded
    yourself so you didnt' emit static electricity nothing should happen to a
    motherboard installing a new hdd. I never dealt with Intel on returning a
    mb but had trouble with FIC, though they finally gave me a new board, after
    it was toatally out of date. Just tell them the prt suddenly stopped
    working. Don't mention that you did anything or they might jump on it of
    course unless they ask, but don't offer anything.

    Professor, Mar 7, 2004