    speeds, a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks, as he
    says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please, or suggest
    where I am going wrong
    bill, Feb 20, 2005

  2. bill wrote:

    > a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks, as he
    > says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please

    Labels BAD.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Feb 20, 2005

  3. bill

    Large Farva Guest

    Definitely don't use labels. BIG no no!

    Large Farva, Feb 20, 2005
  4. bill

    bill Guest

    Many thanks for quick replys, I will try without labels, but can you
    suggest why labels are bad, beats me

    bill, Feb 20, 2005
  5. bill wrote:

    > Many thanks for quick replys, I will try without labels, but can you
    > suggest why labels are bad, beats me

    They can throw the balance of the disc off, dvd
    players are much touchier about that kind of thing
    than cd players.

    I've also read somewhere that the adhesive on the
    back of a label can seep into the media over time
    messing up the playing layer, and also something
    about the adhesive contracting a tiny bit as it
    dries over time causing a micro contraction of
    the media enough to throw something as delicate
    as a laser off enough to cause problems.

    drc :)
    Darrel Christenson, Feb 20, 2005
  6. bill

    bill Guest

    Many thanks for quick replys, I will try without labels, but can you
    suggest why labels are bad, beats me

    Also what would be best to identify disks, permanent marker pen?

    bill, Feb 20, 2005
  7. bill

    bill Guest

    Wow, thanks for that, that sounds right, what a fool I have been

    bill, Feb 20, 2005
  8. bill wrote:

    > Also what would be best to identify disks, permanent marker pen?

    Some kinds of ink can bleed into media, though
    discs with a matte finish or are meant to be
    printed on by injet printers should be safe.

    Wouldn't it be simplest to just lable the
    container you store the disc in?

    Darrel :)
    Darrel Christenson, Feb 20, 2005
  9. bill

    bill Guest

    I tought it looked better if disk was labelled too, but it seems I was
    being a dork, thanks for your help, my labelling stuff will be going in
    the bin, many thanks

    bill, Feb 20, 2005
  10. bill

    Bill Turner Guest

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:30:49 GMT, "bill" <> wrote:

    >I am now getting many dvd's that I have burned stop playing in my dvd player
    >half way through, I have tried different disks, I have tried slower
    >speeds, a friend suggested that I don't put labels on to my disks, as he
    >says this can cause a problem, can anyone verify this please, or suggest
    >where I am going wrong

    I've been using relatively small labels, about 3/8" x 1-1/4" with no
    problems so far. I place them close to the center hub to reduce
    centrifugal force (and thus imbalance). They have removable adhesive so
    I could remove them if desired.

    So far so good.

    --
    BT
    Bill Turner, Feb 20, 2005
  11. bill

    Guest

    Oh no, looks like you'll have to buy your DVD's now.
    , Feb 20, 2005
  12. bill

    Biz Guest

    To lable your dvdr's, either use an approved permanent marker, or buy
    printable media, and a cd/dvdr pritner like the Epson R200/300

    Biz, Feb 20, 2005
  13. bill

    Joe Blow Guest

    bill wrote:
    > I tought it looked better if disk was labelled too, but it seems I was
    > being a dork, thanks for your help, my labelling stuff will be going in
    > the bin, many thanks

    Many of us dorks have learned the hard way too...

    JB
    Joe Blow, Feb 20, 2005
  14. bill

    bill Guest

    These are dvd's I create myself, not buyable

    bill, Feb 21, 2005
  15. bill

    Starz_Kid Guest

    Hello bill, WOW...! You must be really DUMB, if you did NOT try the NO
    LABEL thingy on your own...!

    DUMB...!

    As Dumb as a box of rocks...!

    Wow.... Dumb...!

    Starz_Kid...

    Starz_Kid, Feb 21, 2005
  16. bill

    bill Guest

    I see we still get the occasional spoilt child on here, with their inane
    insults, hopefully as they grow up into being teenagers, their manners
    will improve

    bill, Feb 21, 2005
  17. bill

    Biz Guest

    "bill" <> wrote in message
    > I see we still get the occasional spoilt child on here, with their inane
    > insults, hopefully as they grow up into being teenagers, their manners
    > will improve

    We occasionally still get the spoiled child on here as well..

    ;)
    Biz, Feb 21, 2005
  18. bill

    Justin Guest

    Biz wrote on [Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:18:42 GMT]:

    > "bill" <> wrote in message
    >> I see we still get the occasional spoilt child on here, with their inane
    >> insults, hopefully as they grow up into being teenagers, their manners
    >> will improve

    > We occasionally still get the spoiled child on here as well..

    Perhaps you should look it up
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spoilt
    Justin, Feb 22, 2005
  19. bill

    DVD Guest

    Hi Bill,
    Did the "no label" fix the problem?
    I have the same problem, and I don't use labels.
    The dvds I have burned always run correctly in my PC (Windows Media Player).
    They will only play correctly in some dvd players.
    Those "some" players always play the full dvd with no problems.
    Other players are inconsistent, sometimes they will play part of a dvd,
    sometimes very little, sometimes they stop at the same place in the dvd,
    other times will stop randomly.
    My dvds are of movies from a home video camera (VHS), not copies of movies
    etc.
    I would be pleased to hear how you got on.
    Thanks.

    DVD, Feb 25, 2005