    (which costs more than the router), or is there another way to connect?

    Thanks

    Gary

    Gary, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Gary

    Dave B. Guest

    Do you own your current cable modem or rent from your ISP? If your rent they
    may be able to provide you with an appropriate replacement unit.

    Dave B., Aug 23, 2006

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    They provided it free. They won't replace it but say I am free to use my own
    equipment,

    Thanks

    Gary

    Gary, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Gary

    Frankster Guest

    You'll need to buy an ethernet modem, or... a router that will accept a USB
    WAN input (I've never seen one of these - don't think they exist, but, you
    never know).

    As for "doesn't everybody?", no, they don't. USB modems are somewhat of a
    rarity in today's networking world. They were more common before the
    popularity of home networks.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Aug 23, 2006
  5. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Thanks - sent it back and ordered a combined modem/router. If this is such a
    problem how am I ever going to get a wireless network set up?

    Gary, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Gary

    Lem Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > Thanks - sent it back and ordered a combined modem/router. If this is such a
    > problem how am I ever going to get a wireless network set up?
    >

    > "Frankster" <> wrote in message
    >> You'll need to buy an ethernet modem, or... a router that will accept a
    >> USB WAN input (I've never seen one of these - don't think they exist, but,
    >> you never know).
    >>
    >> As for "doesn't everybody?", no, they don't. USB modems are somewhat of a
    >> rarity in today's networking world. They were more common before the
    >> popularity of home networks.
    >>
    >> -Frank
    >>
    >> "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am trying to set up a basic wireless network so my new laptop can
    >>> connect to broadband, as well as my desktop.
    >>>
    >>> I have bought a wireless router and find it does not work with my system
    >>> as I have a USB modem (doesn't everybody?). Do I need to buy an ethernet
    >>> modem (which costs more than the router), or is there another way to
    >>> connect?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Gary

    It's helpful that your ISP is OK with you using your own modem. While
    you're waiting for your new modem/router to arrive, call or email your
    ISP, give the the make/model of your new modem/router, and ask for the
    setup information/instructions you'll need. For example, you need to
    know: whether your ISP uses DHCP to assign an IP to your modem, or
    whether you have to assign a static IP (and if the latter, what should
    you assign); what are the IP addresses for your ISP's default Gateway
    and DNS servers; do you need a host or domain name, and if so, what
    should you use for these; whether you need to request your ISP to reset
    your account to recognize the MAC address of your new modem, and if so,
    how to do that.

    Lem, Aug 23, 2006
  7. Gary

    Gary Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message

    > It's helpful that your ISP is OK with you using your own modem. While
    > you're waiting for your new modem/router to arrive, call or email your
    > ISP, give the the make/model of your new modem/router, and ask for the
    > setup information/instructions you'll need. For example, you need to
    > know: whether your ISP uses DHCP to assign an IP to your modem, or whether
    > you have to assign a static IP (and if the latter, what should you
    > assign); what are the IP addresses for your ISP's default Gateway and DNS
    > servers; do you need a host or domain name, and if so, what should you use
    > for these; whether you need to request your ISP to reset your account to
    > recognize the MAC address of your new modem, and if so, how to do that.

    Oh! I knew I shouldn't have bothered. I've been messing with computers for
    years but I didn't understand a word of that.

    Thanks anyway

    Gary

    Gary, Aug 24, 2006
  8. Gary

    Lem Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> It's helpful that your ISP is OK with you using your own modem. While
    >> you're waiting for your new modem/router to arrive, call or email your
    >> ISP, give the the make/model of your new modem/router, and ask for the
    >> setup information/instructions you'll need. For example, you need to
    >> know: whether your ISP uses DHCP to assign an IP to your modem, or whether
    >> you have to assign a static IP (and if the latter, what should you
    >> assign); what are the IP addresses for your ISP's default Gateway and DNS
    >> servers; do you need a host or domain name, and if so, what should you use
    >> for these; whether you need to request your ISP to reset your account to
    >> recognize the MAC address of your new modem, and if so, how to do that.

    > Oh! I knew I shouldn't have bothered. I've been messing with computers for
    > years but I didn't understand a word of that.
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > Gary

    Just read the second sentence, then: While you're waiting for your new
    modem/router to arrive, call or email your ISP, give them the make/model

    Lem, Aug 24, 2006
  9. Gary

    Frankster Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message

    > "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> It's helpful that your ISP is OK with you using your own modem. While
    >> you're waiting for your new modem/router to arrive, call or email your
    >> ISP, give the the make/model of your new modem/router, and ask for the
    >> setup information/instructions you'll need. For example, you need to
    >> know: whether your ISP uses DHCP to assign an IP to your modem, or
    >> whether you have to assign a static IP (and if the latter, what should
    >> you assign); what are the IP addresses for your ISP's default Gateway and
    >> DNS servers; do you need a host or domain name, and if so, what should
    >> you use for these; whether you need to request your ISP to reset your
    >> account to recognize the MAC address of your new modem, and if so, how to
    >> do that.

    > Oh! I knew I shouldn't have bothered. I've been messing with computers
    > for years but I didn't understand a word of that.
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > Gary

    Heehee... although everything Lem said is *possible*, it is unlikely you'll
    need it. Odds are in your favor that the new modem (assuming it is on some
    kind of "supported" list from your ISP) will be pretty much plug and play.
    What you are wanting to do is very routine. Most modems/routers come
    preconfigured to automatically detect the proper settings and get you going.

    Having said that, I know it is not always as easy as it sounds. But...

    -Frank

    Frankster, Aug 24, 2006