    totally discouraged into retaking it a 3rd time. Any advise? Yes, I do use a
    test lab and have my own network to look at for reference. Why so much WSUS
    questions?

    =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=, May 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hi Lina,

    70-291 is reputed to be the hardest of the core exams for the Windows Server
    2003 certifications. Much like the 70-216 exam on Windows 2000, which if
    you could believe it was actually harder.

    It is easy to get discouraged when failing an exam once, much less twice. I
    failed 70-292 twice, and it took me a year after that to retake it. The key
    is to acknowledge that if you think you know it and the results say
    otherwise then you are probably looking at things from the wrong direction.
    Remember, there may be several different ways to accomplish a goal, but only
    the Microsoft way gets you points on the exam.

    There are few exams that I have gone into with strictly experience because
    the products tested are usually too vast and I haven't touched them all.
    What has often worked for me is to get some good study material - my
    favorite (especially for that exam) is the Self-Paced Training Kit from
    Microsoft Press. It comes with the Readiness Review sample tests which have
    always been helpful for me - I have never failed an exam for which I have
    used that tool. Check it out on-line
    (http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5433.aspx) and see what you think...
    and then go tackle that exam. From what I can see you are only one right
    answer away from passing it!

    Good luck and best regards,

    Montreal MCT, May 14, 2007

  3. Hi,

    Thanks for the reply. I will most definitely retake. Maybe not rush it this
    time. I will try the tool you suggested. One answer close to passing...bummer.

    LT

    =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=, May 14, 2007
  4. Lina, Montreal offers some solid advice here. I know senior architects who
    have failed that exam a couple times as well. This time back off a little
    bit, take a hard look at where your score reports are showing weakness, setup
    a lab for each component and work with the technologies at issue.

    Also, use Measureup or Transcenders if you dont want to buy the MS press
    book just for the readiness review exams. It really does help to have a
    resource that not only can give you an idea of how solid you are with the
    material but will also reveal answers and explain why that is the correct
    choice in the cases that you get an answer incorrect.

    No matter which way you go with it, dont rush yourself into the next exam
    but dont let this be a discouragement for you to get certified. 291 is
    extremely difficult and if you approach it slowly and methodically, I am sure
    the third time will be the charm.
    --
    Wayne Anderson

    =?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgQW5kZXJzb24=?=, May 14, 2007
  5. Hi Wayne,

    Thanks for your reply as well. I thought 297 was hard!!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=, May 14, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    Lina piffled away vaguely:

    > I just retook 70-291 on friday and failed again (678). I honestly do not know
    > what the heck happened. I breezed through 70-270, 70-290, and 70-294. Does
    > anybody know if Microsoft allows exam reviews? It blows me away because my
    > job emcompasses that exam and I have setup the network from a to z. I know
    > WSUS without opening a book to learn it because I implemented it without
    > knowing a thing (except for using the Microsoft technical documents). I am
    > totally discouraged into retaking it a 3rd time. Any advise? Yes, I do use a
    > test lab and have my own network to look at for reference. Why so much WSUS
    > questions?

    I believe MMCT has the key in his reply. There's the right way, the
    wrong way, and the Microsoft way. Learn the right way for the
    production environment and the MS way for the exams. I also think the
    books will do you more good in this area than a bunch of extra practice
    exams. The MS Press prep is a good tool. Also, READ the extra reading
    recommended in Readiness and Review. Most of it is online at
    microsoft.com so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it. You have a
    lab so use it, break it, fix it, then break it again.

    Remember, you CAN do this. You only fail when you give up.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, May 14, 2007
  7. IMO, 297 is just hard in a different way. There is a difference between
    'hard' and 'difficult'. Difficult implies technical impedance, that would
    apply here. 291 is difficult not so much because any given question is
    deeply centered but more because the questions are such a technology grab bag
    that it covers a HUGE swath of material. To take this test successfully you
    need a solid understanding of how infrastructure services all function and
    interact with active directory and the basics of where the relationship can
    break down and where the services commonly run into problem. On its face,
    this doesnt sound that difficult. When you take a more detailed look at the
    NUMBER of subsystems to look at and the possible deployment scenarios for
    each, the technology profile that you need to be proficient with expands
    accordingly.

    297 and 298 were hard, not difficult. They were not so much a matter of
    technical depth and expertise but rather mining for the key piece of
    information that the question is focused around that the exam question was
    driven by and understanding its implication on infrastructure choices.
    --
    Wayne Anderson

    =?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgQW5kZXJzb24=?=, May 14, 2007
  8. Hi...thanks for all your replies. I will not give up. I setup and manage the
    network here successfully and my only learning tools were the Microsoft Press
    Resouce Kit and the Microsoft Technical resource guides and good ole VMware!

    MCSE + Messaging eventually!

    =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=, May 15, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    CBIC Guest

    "Lina" <> wrote in message
    > Hi...thanks for all your replies. I will not give up. I setup and manage
    > the
    > network here successfully and my only learning tools were the Microsoft
    > Press
    > Resouce Kit and the Microsoft Technical resource guides and good ole
    > VMware!

    Viva La VMware!

    I liked VMware so much I started working for them.

    CBIC, May 15, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    CBIC piffled away vaguely:

    > "Lina" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi...thanks for all your replies. I will not give up. I setup and manage
    >> the
    >> network here successfully and my only learning tools were the Microsoft
    >> Press
    >> Resouce Kit and the Microsoft Technical resource guides and good ole
    >> VMware!
    >>

    > Viva La VMware!
    >
    > I liked VMware so much I started working for them.

    SU! YS!

    catwalker63, May 15, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    mn12 Guest

    I myself had to take the 291 exam twice. I had purchased the MS Training
    kit 2nd edition as the test material covered changed.
    Also be sure if you use the MS book to read the "Prepare for the exam"
    section of the book.
    It covers material not covered in the chapters like WSUS. I also had a
    problem with two of the sims not displaying objects I created.
    If you create a resource record you should see the resource record
    after creating it. My sim did not. I reported it to MS but never got a
    response back.

    MN12

    --
    mn12

    mn12, May 16, 2007
  12. I just came back from giving my 70-291. Managed to pass it with 760. I wasn't
    very sure I would pass, it was really tough. I too used the Microsoft Press
    Training Kit (unfortunately mine was the outdated one and did not cover a few
    things that were on the test, experienced helped there!).

    With this exam, I have now completed 5 exams towards MCSE+Messaging. Any
    advice for the 70-293 guys? I found the Microsoft Training Kit for this too,
    hope it's not an outdated one. :( The public library here fortunately carries
    titles for major MCSE exams and gives me great borrowing time too, so I'm
    managing so far without having to actually buy the books. I did buy the
    Administrator's Companion to look things up in more detail.

    Any input on 70-293 will be appreciated. Lina, I hope you find the Microsoft
    Kit and I hope you clear this time. Like someone else said on here, third
    time's a charm. All the best! :)

    =?Utf-8?B?SW5kaXJhIEFuYW5k?=, May 16, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?SW5kaXJhIEFuYW5k?= <>
    wrote in news::

    > The public library here fortunately carries
    > titles for major MCSE exams and gives me great borrowing time too, so
    > I'm managing so far without having to actually buy the books.

    The library would probably be unhappy if I did this considering my books
    are shredded, highlighted, and dogeared to hell by the time I'm done with
    them :p

    Red Swingline Stapler, May 16, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Lina I have a question for you... Catwalker posted that I was right, that
    she agreed with me, and that you should listen to me... and yet you marked
    her post as the one that answered your question. Is there anything I did
    wrong? Do you not like my cologne? Not that it particularly matters to me,
    but you have me curious! :)

    Montreal MCT, May 17, 2007
  15. "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message

    > Lina I have a question for you... Catwalker posted that I was right,
    > that
    > she agreed with me, and that you should listen to me... and yet you
    > marked
    > her post as the one that answered your question. Is there anything I
    > did
    > wrong? Do you not like my cologne? Not that it particularly matters to
    > me,
    > but you have me curious! :)

    Canada brother... ;)

    --
    Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
    CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], May 17, 2007
  16. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <>
    say in news::

    > Canada brother... ;)

    so you're saying Canadians are just EXPECTED to have the right answer and
    credit has to got to those that aren't at such a huge advantage. Makes
    sense. Like telling the kids in the special olympics that everyones a
    winner...

    --
    The InterNeil "V2.0 with Tabbed browsing and decreased verbosity" MCNGP
    Triple X

    - It is better to Burn Out, than to Fade Away...

    Neil, May 17, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    Lnkwizard2 Guest

    > did you hear "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <>
    > say in news::
    >
    >> Canada brother... ;)

    > so you're saying Canadians are just EXPECTED to have the right answer and
    > credit has to got to those that aren't at such a huge advantage. Makes
    > sense. Like telling the kids in the special olympics that everyones a
    > winner...
    >
    > --

    Actually we tell you that you have the right answer to make
    you feel good about yourselves.

    Lnkwizard2, May 17, 2007
  18. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Think of it more like a child with a parent... the child can hardly grasp
    the ball, but the parent helps them to guide it into the basket, and then
    claps for them!

    Montreal MCT, May 17, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    Frisbee® Guest

    > Lina I have a question for you... Catwalker posted that I was right, that
    > she agreed with me, and that you should listen to me... and yet you marked
    > her post as the one that answered your question. Is there anything I did
    > wrong? Do you not like my cologne? Not that it particularly matters to
    > me, but you have me curious! :)

    Clearly Lina is a lesbian. Either that, or Lina is a guy's name.

    Frisbee®, May 17, 2007
  20. =?Utf-8?B?TGluYQ==?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    WARNING: The preceeding comment was a reply to Montreal MCT and in no way
    reflects the attitude, thought, belief, of mindset of Montreal MCT.

    Montreal MCT, May 18, 2007