Failed 292 as well

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by rmr, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. rmr

    rmr Guest

    I wish I would have come here before taking 292. I along
    with others here would agree that the weighted scoring
    makes this test hard. I got a 650, but would have swore I
    got at least 80% of the 40 questions correct. On my score
    graph, I had one section I only got around 50% on though.
    Other areas were all between 70 to 100%. Simply put, you
    can't rely on your strengths in some areas to help you
    pass the test. I am going to have to really nail down
    some features of 2003 that I will likely never use.

    Also, compared to the MCSE 2000 tests I've taken, I really
    felt like some questions were aksing me to make
    assumptions to be able to get the correct answer. I
    wanted to be able to ask someone if I was really
    understanding what they were asking.

    In short, be prepared for some odd permission questions,
    which may trick you as they throw in NT, 2K, and 2003.
    Make sure you realize what OS each PC involved is using.
    Know DNS like you invented it, especially the stub zones
    and delegations. Be familiar with Terminal Services, and
    brush up on you IIS ans SUS skills.

    Overall, to pass I'm going have to do some more hands on I
    guess, as I've done lots of practice questions and
    reading. I'm not sure what else to really study, as some
    quesions made me think, "Gee, I know where I could find
    the answer to this in the real world, but I sure don't
    know it from memory right now."

    rmr, Mar 18, 2005

  2. I only get the score, not a score graph where can did you get your score
    graph?

    Best Regards,

    Emiliano G. Estevez, Mar 18, 2005

  3. rmr

    rmr Guest

    I took the test at a Prometric center in Dallas, TX. My
    score report had the bar graph. It seems that not
    everyone gets this info, as some folks who've taken the
    test at Vue said they had no graphs. Also, some people
    who take the test outside the US said they had no graphs.

    rmr, Mar 18, 2005
  4. rmr

    James Guest

    I've always got graphs in Canada at Prometric centers

    James, Mar 18, 2005
  5. rmr

    sb Guest

    Prometric gives you graphs but VUE does not. It's a bunch of crap. How can
    one company give you a graph while another doesn't. Maybe Microsoft can get
    their testing companies to do the same thing for once. Prometric exams freeze
    up in the middle - maybe it's because they are trying to calculate the graph.
    When I called Microsoft about this they stated that the exam should be
    pass/fail. It's like they don't even know about their own exam. I might wait
    to take this exam until they fix it up a little and get their ducks in a row.

    sb, Mar 18, 2005
  6. rmr

    rmr Guest

    I agree. I may take a break before trying again and let
    some of this get sorted out. Plus, I think to pass I'm
    going to need to hammer on DNS a while. I'm not in charge
    of DNS at my company, so I don't do much with it on the
    server end of things, I just keep clients & member servers
    working, no zone configs for me. I did have my Prometric
    exam freeze 3 times though when I clicked to go to the
    next question, which was aggravating. I sure hope it
    counted those answers properly.

    rmr, Mar 18, 2005
  7. Hi,
    It's true ! MS exams are no longer easy. I just passed out 70-296 with 950
    marks. I passed 70-292 in 1st attempt. But failed twice to clear 70-296.
    Much new
    concepts added. If you need any study material for 70-292 e-mail me at

    See ya,
    Amey.
    [ M.C.P. Since 2002 ; M.C.S.E. Windows 2000 ; M.C.S.A. Windows server
    2003 ; M.C.S.E. Windows server 2003 ]

    Amey Abhyankar., Mar 20, 2005
  8. I always get a graph when I take my VUE tests. AFAIK the graph is
    something that Microsoft rolled out last year that is vendor
    independent. By now, all VUE test centers should have the graph - if
    they don't, they are using out of date software or the sys admin at the
    center hasn't bothered queuing up a laser printer to print one out or
    something.

    If I don't get a graph from a VUE center, I'd take it up with the
    Pearson VUE corporate office. If you make a big enough stink, you may
    even get a partial refund, free retake or whatever.

    blastingfonda, Mar 20, 2005
  9. rmr

    rmr Guest

    When did you take the 292? The newer exams have weighted
    scoring, which is what made 292 much harder. Overall, I
    thought I did ok, and my score graphs looked ok too. I
    also found some things on the exam which I would have
    thought would have only been on the 296 exam. It appears
    they have added a little new material & just made the
    scoring harder to figure out.

    rmr, Mar 21, 2005
  10. rmr

    catwalker63 Guest

    "rmr" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > When did you take the 292? The newer exams have weighted
    > scoring, which is what made 292 much harder. Overall, I

    <snip>

    All the exams have weighted scoring. They have for some time.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    “If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would
    deteriorate the cat.” Mark Twain

    catwalker63, Mar 21, 2005
  11. rmr

    rmr Guest

    I'd agree, I just hadn't taken any MS exam in over a
    year. Considering my score graphs would average out to
    over 80% in my opinion, it seemed this test has heavier
    weighting than some I've taken in the past. That may be
    in part to only 40 questions as well, as most of the MCSE
    2000 exams (excluding the design exams) had more the 40
    questions I believe. Anyhow, my point was with the
    weighting, just plan on nailing all 40 questions if you
    wan to pass. Don't assume 28/40 which is 70% or 700/1000
    will do it.

    rmr, Mar 22, 2005
  12. rmr

    fmsmcse Guest

    No graphs as well to VUE, @ Brazil

    fmsmcse, Mar 29, 2005
  13. rmr

    fmsmcse Guest

    I took 292 and failed twice, no graphs as well for VUE, @ Brazil.

    fmsmcse, Mar 29, 2005
  14. rmr

    Texas Matt Guest

    Failed 292 twice in March '05...

    I failed 292 yesterday, for the second time. I've been taking MS exams since
    NT 4.0 came out and have never really felt real confident on ANY exam,
    knowing 100% that I passed it. However, both times I took the 292, I felt I
    did pretty good, even good enough to pass....only to be disappointed at a
    score of 450, then 550 (not even close to the 700 required). I used VUE with
    no graph either time (Texas). This last failure I braindumped to myself,
    spending a few hours last night comparing my dumps with others to see if
    there was any possibility that I missed so many questions: I did not miss
    that many and still scored 550. My point is (and point has been made earlier)
    that you have to really nail 292 with almost all correct answers. I now have
    to wait 2 weeks to take it again, but will study my brains out and gets
    hands-on as much as possible to pass. Wish me luck and good luck to all
    others!

    Texas Matt, Mar 29, 2005
  15. rmr

    fmsmcse Guest

    RE: Failed 292 twice in March '05...

    I failed twice and had the same impression of having passed.
    But also got 484 and 520, really frustating.

    Regarding the graph, just asked VUE and they said "It's not with us, contact
    " - I'm emailing right now.

    Best luck on your exam., I will use TroyTec and see how it goes.

    fmsmcse, Mar 29, 2005