FAILED (070-272) 2x's AM I STUPID?!! Help me

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by J, May 17, 2005.

  1. J

    J Guest

    I took the Instructor lead MCDST from New Horizons
    Computer Learning Center not too long ago. I studying
    the training kit from New Horizons on 070-272 like Hell..
    I already passed my A+, and passed 070-271 too.

    1. I took 070-272 and failed.
    2. Then I downloaded a prep-test from brain dumps
    Plus ordered MeasureUp's 070-272 Prep-CD. I took
    the test a second time and failed again. I was
    crushed!! Mind you with MeasureUp's Prep-CD I was
    confident with my scores in the 95+ range on every
    practice test.
    3. Now I'm at it again. I bought MCDST 070-272
    Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit by Walter Glenn.
    I'm taking my time and want to EARN my MCDST.

    If anyone has any positive advice at what the hell I'm
    doing wrong please let me know. If I fail this test a
    3rd time I'm going to walk away from the IT field and
    my quest to become a MCDST.
    J, May 17, 2005

  2. Part of the problem was the Bran Dump. You use those and you deserve to
    fail. now with that out of the way. What area's are you having trouble with?
    You should focus on those.

    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 17, 2005

  3. J

    Wayne Guest

    "Bran dump"

    Yep, bran is good for that Rev :)

    --
    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
    of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the
    masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony"
    - Dennis (sometime in the middle ages)

    Wayne, May 18, 2005
  4. J

    T-Bone Guest

    "J" <> wrote
    > 2. Then I downloaded a prep-test from brain dumps
    > Plus ordered MeasureUp's 070-272 Prep-CD.

    Brain dumps are notorious for having wrong answers. But that's what you get
    for cheating.

    > 3. Now I'm at it again. I bought MCDST 070-272
    > Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit by Walter Glenn.
    > I'm taking my time and want to EARN my MCDST.

    Yes! Earn it. Don't cheat. Get rid of the dumps. Do as much hands on
    practice as you can and you'll do fine.

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    T-Bone, May 18, 2005
  5. J

    J Guest

    Believe it our not it was our instructor that told us to
    go to Brain-Dumps and a few other sits. I didn't know
    that It was wrong or not wise of me but now I do know.

    J, May 18, 2005
  6. J

    AJR Guest

    A year from now you can be a year older and certified or not -So - hang in
    for a fourth, fifth, time whatever it takes.
    Regarding the Glenn training kit - be forewarned that you will probably do
    exceptionally well on the "objective review" test questions - however the
    other test engine on the CD will challenge you stick with it!
    AJR, May 18, 2005
  7. J

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the positive support and encouragement.
    I'll do my best to stay with it.

    Guest, May 18, 2005
  8. Grr.. Wayne

    As for your instructor...He's an idiot.

    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 19, 2005
  9. J

    Wayne Guest

    Heh :) Will you be at TechEd Rev?

    --
    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    Wayne, May 19, 2005
  10. No, Originally my schedule was taking me that direction. But I seems I'm
    headed for Connecticut of all places that week.

    --
    "The Rev" MCT/MCNGP #44

    justafreak.com
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], May 19, 2005
  11. J

    Jason Guest

    Also keep in mind that all a cert exam shows is your ability to pass a test.
    That's all. Whether you pass a test or not does not measure your ability to
    do a job. I have friends that are security gods in the IT field and have a
    grand total of ONE cert exam between all of them...and it's a MS cert, not
    even the Security+ from CompTia.

    The point here is that if you can show an employer your skills and
    experience, that is more likely to land you a job than any cert on its own.
    People are focusing too much on certs and not enough on experience. Getting
    a cert is not the carte blanc pass into the IT industry that it used to be
    when a lot of the stuff was arcane and confusing mixes of acronyms and
    circuit board programming.

    Bottom line, keep your chin up, work where and when you can, and cert be
    damned, you will find work if you are good at what you do!

    Jason, May 20, 2005
  12. J

    J Guest

    Jason,

    This was a damn GREAT response to help pick my confidence
    up!!! I am doing my best to become experienced in the IT
    field. The 1 problem I'm finding is no one will hiring
    me with out experience. Then they tell me to get some
    Certifications and this will open the door to some entry
    level positions.

    But I'v got the 1st Two basic Certifications out of the
    way A+ & MCP(070-271) and I still can't get a Helpdesk/
    IT job.... I'm assuming that once I finally get the on
    the job time experience that someone will want to hire
    me. THE PROBLEM IS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET JOB TIME AND
    experience without some one Hiring me?

    O Well enough of my complaints.

    J, May 20, 2005
  13. J

    Larry Guest

    just keep trying, something will come up sooner or later. it took me about 2
    years to get a job in the field after getting my a+ and net+. if you can get
    some customer service/call center experience even if it's not in the IT
    field it might help.

    Larry, May 21, 2005
  14. J

    John O Guest

    > THE PROBLEM IS HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET JOB TIME AND
    > experience without some one Hiring me?

    Keep yer chin up, that's a classic problem of the trained-yet-underemployed.
    I said the same thing 20 years ago just after I acquired an electronics
    degree, and the market for those in 1984 was about the same as the market
    for MCPs today. Everybody wanted experienced techs, or so they claimed.

    In any case, *somebody* is looking for an employee just like you, it just
    takes time for the two of you to find each other.

    Keep learning, and Good Luck!

    -John O
    John O, May 21, 2005
  15. J

    Jason Guest

    Ahh.....the age-old need experience to get a job versus need a job to get
    experience conundrum...we all know this situation as we've all been
    there...my heart goes out to you. The previous advice is good though.

    Call centers are well-known grooming grounds for those looking to break into
    IT as either PC or Helpdesk techs. Additionally, throw a shingle out there.
    You can set up a website, and make some business cards and flyers for less
    than $100. Pass out the cards like candy and hit the higher end
    subdivisions one day (go during working hours so noone runs you off from
    hanging flyers on the mailboxes or door knobs - most are at work then!
    *money-eyed grin*

    Proof is in the pudding. I left one job as the lone helpdesk tech/admin a
    few months ago to a university where I am the helpdesk admininstrator,
    supervising over 15 employees and spending most of my time conducting
    training classes for faculty and staff. My tech time comes from the cards I
    passed out like candy right before I left. I've had 3 calls this week alone
    from friends I gave cards to...each bringing in about $100 (and this was at
    the "discounted" rate!!! Who cares if I started a 4 hour system scan and
    went golfing...at $25 an hour, this was a steal for them!)

    Generally, if people work all day, they don't want to spend their night
    haggling with the Best Buy tech who is thinking about the clerk with the
    nice ta tas more than the problem the customer has. Additionally, they
    don't want to spend their evenings taking their computers apart and figuring
    out the difference between a SCSI connector and a molex connector. This is
    the market to tap into if you want some quick bucks AND experience with
    hardware to add to your resume.

    In the meantime, tag on your resume that you have extensive experience as an
    "independant contractor" (define in terms of months rather than years if
    under 2 years experience...the higher number looks better in HR dept eyes
    for some stupid reason). Itemize every type of system you've worked on
    (Windows, Linux, Sun, Dell, Compaq, HP, etc., etc., etc., etc.) and don't
    forget to mention the certs you do have: A+, Net+, and MCP (hell you have
    more certs than I had when I got into the industry!).

    Jason, May 21, 2005
  16. J

    Cesare Guest

    Hi,

    well go for Microsoft self placed traing book 70-272 the official one and
    you can study with measure-up that is quite good for study mode.
    Learn all the practice that are include in the book espec. the preparing for
    the exam

    I hope this info can help you and be always positive for your next chance GO !

    Cesare, May 22, 2005
  17. J

    JMM Guest

    Here is another confidence builder for you...

    I'm 28. I graduated with a BS in Software Engineering in August 2003. Since
    then, thru lack of confidence, lack of experience and pure laziness, i have
    not had an IT job. I also have no certs. On a whim, a couple weeks ago (may
    9), i sent out my resume to a law firm and a mortage/title company both
    looking for helpdesk people to support their in-house end users. The law firm
    ignored me. The title company gave me a phone interview the next night and
    invited me in for a face-to-face the next day. This past Wednesday (may 18),
    I was offered the job.

    I felt so unprepared for the interview. I was thinking, "ok, i havent done
    anything IT related for 2 years, theyre gonna ask me technical questions and
    im gonna look like a fool." They were more concerned with my attitude and
    drive rather than tech experience. so wth no certs, and no IT experience
    other than a 3 month internship at school 2 years ago, i got a DST job.

    The jobs are out there. You'll find something. Trust me, there are companies
    out there that are willing to take a chance and give a newbie a shot. I just
    got mine and now i need to make the most of it.

    good luck, you'll get yours.

    JMM, May 22, 2005
  18. J

    femi Guest

    what did you scor in this exam, i did it without read any bk but i got 450
    now i have prep and i have a good practice test for examsheet.com i tell you
    use this and you will pass one time i did 070-271 just one time using windows
    xp troubleshooting in easy steps and mcdst study kit by walter glenn study
    you micro-outlook it take alot of hard qus in this exam

    femi, May 23, 2005
  19. J

    Larry Guest

    I just took the exam and maybe I can shed some light on it for you. I used
    the ms press kit by Walter Glenn and mcdst exams book by Timothy Warner plus
    the measureup practice exams on the cd and this combo seemed to work well.
    didn't get very many outlook or office questions, had mostly outlook
    express, internet explorer, anti virus, windows firewall and some xp2. know
    what sp2 adds to outlook express, internet explorer, windows firewall and
    automatic updates since the books really didn't cover that. you need to
    remember permissions and network connections from the 271 exam also since I
    had a few questions on that.

    Larry, May 25, 2005
  20. J

    Micah E. Guest

    You got ripped, J. How much did you pay for that course at New Horizon? And
    you paid ? and the instructor referred you to a Brain Dump? I'd seriosuly
    wouldn't pay for that course. I'd go take a "dump" myself on the
    instructor's car, joking.

    Here's what I did, what you need is references, you've got to get a good
    reputation out there to other techs. I know there are local groups that meet
    and discuss technology and such, just do a search. Then go to those meetings
    and network like hell. A company likes to see an impressive reference page,
    well atleast places like Tek Systems.

    Send your resume` to contracting agency, Tek Systems is good and they place
    you at reputable companies, as long as your good.

    Just keep in there; diligence and patience is the key.

    Micah

    AS/400 Systems Operator
    Brunswick Boat Group

    Micah E., May 31, 2005