    But for now, it's a good excuse to pick up that Tim Burton version of
    "Aladdin", or that Francis Coppola version of "Rip Van Winkle". :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 25, 2004

  2. I'll pass. I'm still waiting for YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION.
    Vlvetmorning98, Jul 27, 2004

  3. Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for
    Vlvetmorning98, Jul 27, 2004
  4. > (Vlvetmorning98) wrote:
    >Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

    I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".
    Maureen Goldman, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Maureen Goldman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > (Vlvetmorning98) wrote:
    > >Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

    > I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".

    I rather liked the Muppet version, from 1972 or so. Just about
    the only real actor in the thing was Trudy Young. Kermit's nephew
    Robin makes an early appearance. It was a one time special (oh, I
    see the Muppets did a second fairy tale adaptation, that I sure
    don't remember seeing), but I'm surprised they did not go
    into a series of Muppetizing fairy tales.

    Michael
    Michael Black, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Derek Janssen

    Patrick Neve Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Maureen Goldman wrote:
    > > (Vlvetmorning98) wrote:
    > >Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

    > I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".

    And Frank Zappa stole the show in "The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About
    the Shivers", even with no dialogoue. But honestly, the laserdisc is
    plenty fine for my needs.
    Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.
    Patrick Neve, Jul 27, 2004
  7. Patrick Neve wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Maureen Goldman wrote:
    >
    >>> (Vlvetmorning98) wrote:
    >>>Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel-that I'll pay for

    >>I recall that Robin Williams starred in a dandy "Frog Prince".

    > And Frank Zappa stole the show in "The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About
    > the Shivers", even with no dialogoue.

    And although Mick Jagger made a serviceable Emperor in "The
    Nightingale", some still have nostalgic affection for Pam "Mindy" Dawber
    as the Little Mermaid.
    Jennifer Beals as Cinderella, however...ehh.

    > Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.

    Uh, there WASN'T one, he was just jumping for the lame gag...
    (The version with Joan Collins as the witch, however, was none too shabby.)

    Burton *did*, however, do "Aladdin", with James Earl Jones as the
    genie(s), Robert "Revenge of the Nerds" Carradine as Al, Valerie
    Bertinelli as the princess, and Leonard Nimoy as the evil wizard--
    Not to mention, that particular kind of early 80's-Tim (post-Pee Wee,
    pre-Beetlejuice, pre-pre-Nightmare Before Xmas) art direction that we
    sort of lost forever after "Batman". :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 28, 2004
  8. On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Derek Janssen wrote:

    > Patrick Neve wrote:
    >
    > > Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.

    > Uh, there WASN'T one, he was just jumping for the lame gag...
    > (The version with Joan Collins as the witch, however, was none too shabby.)
    >
    > Burton *did*, however, do "Aladdin", with James Earl Jones as the
    > genie(s), Robert "Revenge of the Nerds" Carradine as Al, Valerie
    > Bertinelli as the princess, and Leonard Nimoy as the evil wizard--
    > Not to mention, that particular kind of early 80's-Tim (post-Pee Wee,
    > pre-Beetlejuice, pre-pre-Nightmare Before Xmas) art direction that we
    > sort of lost forever after "Batman". :)

    Speaking of Pee-Wee, there's also the Paul Reubens version of Pinocchio
    (directed by, I think, Peter Medak?) with James Coburn, and Lainie (sp?)
    Kazan as the Blue Fairy. Reubens is perfect for the role, although the
    scene where he goes into the theatre and exclaims "This is going to be the
    best show ever!" is a bit disturbing in retrospect.

    swac
    I'll hang to my laserdisc copy for now.
    Stephen Cooke, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Stephen Cooke wrote:

    >Burton *did*, however, do "Aladdin", with James Earl Jones as the
    >>genie(s), Robert "Revenge of the Nerds" Carradine as Al, Valerie
    >>Bertinelli as the princess, and Leonard Nimoy as the evil wizard--
    >>Not to mention, that particular kind of early 80's-Tim (post-Pee Wee,
    >>pre-Beetlejuice, pre-pre-Nightmare Before Xmas) art direction that we
    >>sort of lost forever after "Batman". :)

    > Speaking of Pee-Wee, there's also the Paul Reubens version of Pinocchio
    > (directed by, I think, Peter Medak?) with James Coburn, and Lainie (sp?)
    > Kazan as the Blue Fairy. Reubens is perfect for the role, although the
    > scene where he goes into the theatre and exclaims "This is going to be the
    > best show ever!" is a bit disturbing in retrospect.

    And, on the roster of guest-name directors, can't leave out Roger
    Vadim's shot-for-shot cribbing of Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast", with
    a typecast Klaus Kinski as the latter (and *still* an earnestly hamming
    nutball), and a post-Janet/pre-Louise Susan Sarandon as, er...Beauty.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 28, 2004
  10. >> Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.

    >Uh, there WASN'T one, he was just jumping for the lame gag...
    >(The version with Joan Collins as the witch, however, was none too shabby.)

    uh, THERE WAS. I think it was for the Disney channel, though, not FTT, so I may
    be wrong there.
    Vlvetmorning98, Jul 29, 2004
  11. Derek Janssen

    Mike Jackson Guest

    >> Tim Burton's Hansel and Gretel... I'll second that.
    >
    > Uh, there WASN'T one, he was just jumping for the lame gag...

    It wasn't made for Faerie Tale Theatre, but Burton did direct a version of
    Hansel and Gretel. It was made for cable, either the Disney Channel or HBO,
    and had an all-Japanese cast. It wasn't well-received, to say the least. I
    think it was released on VHS at one point, but it's been out of print for a
    long time if it ever was available. I think you can find bootlegs on Ebay.
    It's mentioned in most Burton bios, like "Burton on Burton" and the Virgin
    Film book by Jim Smith and J. Clive Matthews (I'm mentioned in the
    bibliography of that book; I founded timburtoncollective.com and the authors
    used it as a research tool).

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com