    and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I forgot to mention that even with R, G and B all set at the max of 100
    the display is still too dark.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Apr 23, 2004

  3. Gib Bogle

    Robert Guest

    Usually tube going bad.
    Philips usually have a 3 year warranty.

    Robert, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Gib Bogle

    Peter S Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    > its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    > and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    > pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >
    > Gib

    Strange!

    I have a Compaq V70 that I've owned for about 5 years, and it is dying
    fast - but it is getting brighter/less contrast. With Contrast on the
    highest setting and Brightness on the lowest it is getting too bright to
    use!

    Pete.
    Peter S, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Gib Bogle

    steve Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    > its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    > and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    > pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >
    > Gib

    I have a Philips 105S - 4 years old - doing the same thing.

    One of my 107S's loses sync every now and again....and is blurry....then
    returns to normal...then loses it....etc....etc...

    It's now on my server.

    Philips were good for quite a while, but it looks like they flew too low
    a couple of years ago....

    My first Philips monitor lasted 10 years...and then I gave it away.
    steve, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware
    >> that its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for
    >> R, G and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is
    >> very pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >>
    >> Gib

    > I have a Philips 105S - 4 years old - doing the same thing.
    >
    > One of my 107S's loses sync every now and again....and is blurry....then
    > returns to normal...then loses it....etc....etc...
    >
    > It's now on my server.
    >
    > Philips were good for quite a while, but it looks like they flew too low
    > a couple of years ago....
    >
    > My first Philips monitor lasted 10 years...and then I gave it away.

    I bought an AOC flat screen at the same time as the Philips, for about
    the same price, and it is looking as good as new.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Gib Bogle
    > I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    > its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    > and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    > pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?

    The only wildcard is that it is so new. Going dim is not exactly unique
    to Philips monitors though is it?
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 24, 2004
  8. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:34:34 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >steve wrote:
    >> Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware
    >>> that its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for
    >>> R, G and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is
    >>> very pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >>>
    >>> Gib

    >> I have a Philips 105S - 4 years old - doing the same thing.
    >>
    >> One of my 107S's loses sync every now and again....and is blurry....then
    >> returns to normal...then loses it....etc....etc...
    >>
    >> It's now on my server.
    >>
    >> Philips were good for quite a while, but it looks like they flew too low
    >> a couple of years ago....
    >>
    >> My first Philips monitor lasted 10 years...and then I gave it away.

    >I bought an AOC flat screen at the same time as the Philips, for about
    >the same price, and it is looking as good as new.
    >
    >Gib

    Most people do not use the turn off Monitor option when the Computer is Idle
    plus use the screen way to bright in a over lit room..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Apr 24, 2004
  9. On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:24:33 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    > its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    > and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    > pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?

    It's not worth trying to.

    I just pulled several 107S's off desktops at $orkplace because they were
    unusably faded. All just outside extended warranty. The users (of course)
    didn't notice they were fading out and didn't say anything inside the
    extended warranty support period.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Apr 24, 2004
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:24:33 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    >> its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    >>and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    >>pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?

    > It's not worth trying to.
    >
    > I just pulled several 107S's off desktops at $orkplace because they were
    > unusably faded. All just outside extended warranty. The users (of course)
    > didn't notice they were fading out and didn't say anything inside the
    > extended warranty support period.

    Just like me, though I have less excuse, having two different monitors.
    You have to hand it to Philips, they seem to have the warranty period
    about right. Bastards.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Apr 25, 2004
  11. Gib Bogle

    Bud Dickman Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    > its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    > and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    > pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >
    > Gib

    My Philips Brilliance 105 was going dim. After pulling off the back and
    pulling out the rear circuit board from the pins (that go into the tube)
    I saw that the pins were rusted/tarnished. I sanded them down and it
    seemed to fix it. After a while tho it started dimming again. I
    discovered that this happens with the cover snapped back on properly; I
    leave it slightly out of place and it's ok.
    Bud Dickman, Apr 26, 2004
  12. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Bud Dickman wrote:

    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    >> its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    >>and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    >>pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >>
    >>Gib

    > My Philips Brilliance 105 was going dim. After pulling off the back and
    > pulling out the rear circuit board from the pins (that go into the tube)
    > I saw that the pins were rusted/tarnished. I sanded them down and it
    > seemed to fix it. After a while tho it started dimming again. I
    > discovered that this happens with the cover snapped back on properly; I
    > leave it slightly out of place and it's ok.

    That's pretty bizarre, but it might be worth a try.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Apr 26, 2004
  13. Gib Bogle

    Rob Guest

    Gib Bogle <> wrote in message news:<c6c10a$ba5$>...
    > I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    > its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    > and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    > pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >
    > Gib

    Weird, my 107S (aka Dell 1028L) is doing EXACTLY the same thing. I
    have the brightness and contrast controls on max.
    Rob, Apr 26, 2004
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Gib Bogle <> wrote in message news:<c6c10a$ba5$>...
    >
    >>I have a Philips 107S, a couple of years old, and I've become aware that
    >> its brightness is decreasing. The factory default settings for R, G
    >>and B are all around 60, and on these settings the display is very
    >>pallid. Should I be surprised by this, and is it fixable?
    >>
    >>Gib

    > Weird, my 107S (aka Dell 1028L) is doing EXACTLY the same thing. I
    > have the brightness and contrast controls on max.

    Is it still on warranty?

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Apr 27, 2004