    I would like to use some of my photography (vague or faded) for the
    background of my web site. I have PhotoShop Elements and Photo Shop 6.
    Isn't there someway to do this in those programs? Thanks!

    Charlene Key, Feb 10, 2006

  2. Charlene Key

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <fyRGf.10522$>,
    "Charlene Key" <> wrote:

    > I would like to use some of my photography (vague or faded) for the
    > background of my web site. I have PhotoShop Elements and Photo Shop 6.
    > Isn't there someway to do this in those programs? Thanks!

    Sure. Just turn down the opacity and save the file in gif or jpg format.

    Shawn Hirn, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Charlene Key

    Hunt Guest

    In article <fyRGf.10522$>,
    says...

    >I would like to use some of my photography (vague or faded) for the
    >background of my web site. I have PhotoShop Elements and Photo Shop 6.
    >Isn't there someway to do this in those programs? Thanks!

    Yes. I'll step you through PS, as I have never used PSE, but assume that it's
    similar, if not the same.

    First, decide if your Web page background color is one that you can assign,
    and that there is no textrue, or pattern in it. If so, progress as outlined:

    Open image. Dbl-click on the Background (italics) Layer, and make it an
    active Layer. Select the Marquee Tool and decide if you want rectangle,
    ellipse, or circle. Click-drag with the Marquee Tool, to set the area that the
    fade will start. I'd go to the outside of the main subject(s) in you image,
    but making sure that there is a margin to the edge. As you have PS 6, I'll
    work with that. Once the Selection is made (marching ants), hit Q, for Quick
    Mask. Yous should see a red (unless you have changed the default mask color),
    in the size that you created. In QM, go to Filter>Gaussian Blur, and select
    something in the 20-50 pxl range. You may need to experiment here, depending
    on the resolution of your image. The rectangular edges will blur. If you like
    it, then Click Save_Selection, and choose Layer 00 Layer Mask, (or whatever
    you named the old Background Layer). Now, you have a the choice of choosing
    the new background color to match your Web page. Create a new Layer via the
    New Layer icon on the bottom of the Layers Palette. Drag it below your image
    Layer. Choose the color of choice in the colors palette on the bottom of the
    toolbox. Choose Edit>Fill>Foreground (or background) Color. Your image will
    fade to the Web page background color, and you can Save_As JPG, or
    Save_For_Web, using Image Ready.

    Now, if your Web page is patterned, textured, etc. you will want to
    Save_As_GIF and not bother with the colored background Layer. However, for a
    photographic image, GIF is less desirable, but as JPG doesn't support
    transparency, it may be your only choice. I'd even go so far as to fill the
    background Layer with a textrued, or patterned image, to match such a Web
    page, and use JPG, rather than GIF with transparency. If you are doing this
    for several different Web pages, Save your work image, as PSD, with Layers
    intact, and then make the changes in background.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Feb 10, 2006
  4. "Charlene Key" <> wrote in message
    >I would like to use some of my photography (vague or faded) for the
    >background of my web site. I have PhotoShop Elements and Photo Shop 6.
    >Isn't there someway to do this in those programs? Thanks!

    In PhotoShop I would make a layer with the image. Create a new layer below
    it that you fill with a colour, black or white. Then play with the layer
    opacity of the image until you get th effect you want. You can make the
    image fade into the background colour and you can play with the background
    as well.

    Darrell Larose, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Charlene Key

    frederick Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > In article <fyRGf.10522$>,
    > "Charlene Key" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I would like to use some of my photography (vague or faded) for the
    >>background of my web site. I have PhotoShop Elements and Photo Shop 6.
    >>Isn't there someway to do this in those programs? Thanks!

    > Sure. Just turn down the opacity and save the file in gif or jpg format.

    You should also experiment with image size / file size / compression
    level. By the time the image is "faded out" a relatively very low
    resolution and/or highly compressed image can look pretty good as a
    background. This helps a lot with the time for page loading for people
    viewing your site over slower connections. As a general rule, gif is
    good for compressing geometic shapes, text etc in 256 colours, jpeg for
    photos.

    frederick, Feb 10, 2006
  6. Charlene Key

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Charlene Key <> wrote:
    >I would like to use some of my photography (vague or faded) for the
    >background of my web site. I have PhotoShop Elements and Photo Shop 6.
    >Isn't there someway to do this in those programs? Thanks!

    Select the image area. Increase the lightness and decrease the
    contrast. Or just decrease the contrast. You can also reduce the
    saturation to tone down the colors.

    Experiment.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Feb 10, 2006
  7. Charlene Key

    Charlene Key Guest

    Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

    Charlene Key, Feb 10, 2006
  8. Charlene Key

    Hunt Guest

    In article <G7_Gf.9559$>,
    says...

    >Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.
    >
    >"Charlene Key" <> wrote in message
    >>I would like to use some of my photography (vague or faded) for the
    >>background of my web site. I have PhotoShop Elements and Photo Shop 6.
    >>Isn't there someway to do this in those programs? Thanks!

    Oops, sorry Charlene, I misread your request. I ASSUMED (incorrectly, I see
    now), that you wanted the image to fade to the background, not be "faded."

    The Layer Blending Mode (dropdown in full PS), set to Screen, with a Layer,
    the color of your Web page background, will do it instantly. If you want more
    control, you can adjust the Opacity of your image Layer, in either Screen, or
    Normal mode.

    Sorry for my tangent.

    Hunt

    Hunt, Feb 10, 2006