    how to use it.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 27, 2011

  2. Geopelia

    Boots Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:11:25 +1300, Geopelia wrote:

    > Is there a website for people to learn how to use Facebook please? I
    > need some simple instructions, but can't find any on the site. I thought
    > "getting started" might have some, but can't find any.
    >
    > I've got it, for friends and family only, but can't find anywhere to
    > learn how to use it.

    Facebook is constantly changing. Probably the best way to get to grips
    with it is to get someone to sit down with you while you give it a test
    drive.

    Some things are intuitive, and others are confusingly illogical or
    inconsistent, and from one month to the next there is always something
    changing.

    Boots, Mar 28, 2011

  3. On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 06:15:52 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:11:25 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a website for people to learn how to use Facebook please? I
    >> need some simple instructions, but can't find any on the site. I thought
    >> "getting started" might have some, but can't find any.
    >>
    >> I've got it, for friends and family only, but can't find anywhere to
    >> learn how to use it.

    >Facebook is constantly changing. Probably the best way to get to grips
    >with it is to get someone to sit down with you while you give it a test
    >drive.
    >
    >Some things are intuitive, and others are confusingly illogical or
    >inconsistent, and from one month to the next there is always something
    >changing.

    I find the best way is to not use it, life goes on with out it..

    William Brown, Mar 28, 2011
  4. On , , Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:30:59 +1300, Re: Facebook website?, William Brown
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 06:15:52 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:11:25 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a website for people to learn how to use Facebook please? I
    >>> need some simple instructions, but can't find any on the site. I thought
    >>> "getting started" might have some, but can't find any.
    >>>
    >>> I've got it, for friends and family only, but can't find anywhere to
    >>> learn how to use it.

    >>Facebook is constantly changing. Probably the best way to get to grips
    >>with it is to get someone to sit down with you while you give it a test
    >>drive.
    >>
    >>Some things are intuitive, and others are confusingly illogical or
    >>inconsistent, and from one month to the next there is always something
    >>changing.

    >I find the best way is to not use it, life goes on with out it..

    And for that we are eternally grateful.

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Mgsr. Scooter, Mar 28, 2011
  5. Geopelia

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:30:59 +1300, William Brown <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 06:15:52 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 10:11:25 +1300, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a website for people to learn how to use Facebook please? I
    >>> need some simple instructions, but can't find any on the site. I thought
    >>> "getting started" might have some, but can't find any.
    >>>
    >>> I've got it, for friends and family only, but can't find anywhere to
    >>> learn how to use it.

    >>Facebook is constantly changing. Probably the best way to get to grips
    >>with it is to get someone to sit down with you while you give it a test
    >>drive.
    >>
    >>Some things are intuitive, and others are confusingly illogical or
    >>inconsistent, and from one month to the next there is always something
    >>changing.

    >I find the best way is to not use it, life goes on with out it..

    What a shame you can't decide the same for nz.comp.

    Donchano, Mar 28, 2011
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>Is there a website for people to learn how to use Facebook please?
    >>I need some simple instructions, but can't find any on the site.
    >>I thought "getting started" might have some, but can't find any.
    >>
    >>I've got it, for friends and family only, but can't find anywhere to learn
    >>how to use it.
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>Geopelia

    > Geopelia
    > Try this http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-use-facebook/

    > I have never used facebook but the instructions here look pretty
    > comprehensive
    > and readable.
    > Tony

    Thank you, I'll give that a go. It looks certainly looks very comprehensive

    (I've now got Trend Micro 2011 installed, and am waiting for the Broadband
    man to install that.
    When I have Broadband I should be able to see the videos.)

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Mar 28, 2011
  7. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <improo$2ld$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    > >>Is there a website for people to learn how to use Facebook please?
    > >>I need some simple instructions, but can't find any on the site.
    > >>I thought "getting started" might have some, but can't find any.
    > >>
    > >>I've got it, for friends and family only, but can't find anywhere to learn
    > >>how to use it.
    > >>
    > >>Thank you
    > >>Geopelia

    > > Geopelia
    > > Try this http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-use-facebook/

    > > I have never used facebook but the instructions here look pretty
    > > comprehensive
    > > and readable.
    > > Tony
    > >

    > Thank you, I'll give that a go. It looks certainly looks very comprehensive
    >
    > (I've now got Trend Micro 2011 installed, and am waiting for the Broadband
    > man to install that.
    > When I have Broadband I should be able to see the videos.)
    >
    > Geopelia

    IIRC, you have a fairly old PC, and you are running the latest Trend
    Micro. Good luck with the videos! - you'll need it, Trend Micro is a
    pig of a beast even on new fast computers.

    re Facebook - jesus Geo, just get on it and have a go - that's how you
    learn it.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 26, 2011
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <improo$2ld$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    >> > Geopelia
    >> > Try this http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-use-facebook/

    >> > I have never used facebook but the instructions here look pretty
    >> > comprehensive
    >> > and readable.
    >> > Tony
    >> >

    >> Thank you, I'll give that a go. It looks certainly looks very
    >> comprehensive
    >>
    >> (I've now got Trend Micro 2011 installed, and am waiting for the
    >> Broadband
    >> man to install that.
    >> When I have Broadband I should be able to see the videos.)
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > IIRC, you have a fairly old PC, and you are running the latest Trend
    > Micro. Good luck with the videos! - you'll need it, Trend Micro is a
    > pig of a beast even on new fast computers.
    >
    > re Facebook - jesus Geo, just get on it and have a go - that's how you
    > learn it.

    There are so many different pages with Facebook.
    I'm keeping it just for friends and family.

    The videos seem to be working well, even the live eagle cam.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Apr 27, 2011
  9. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ip9437$u43$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <improo$2ld$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    > >> Thank you, I'll give that a go. It looks certainly looks very
    > >> comprehensive
    > >>
    > >> (I've now got Trend Micro 2011 installed, and am waiting for the
    > >> Broadband
    > >> man to install that.
    > >> When I have Broadband I should be able to see the videos.)
    > >>
    > >> Geopelia

    > > IIRC, you have a fairly old PC, and you are running the latest Trend
    > > Micro. Good luck with the videos! - you'll need it, Trend Micro is a
    > > pig of a beast even on new fast computers.
    > >
    > > re Facebook - jesus Geo, just get on it and have a go - that's how you
    > > learn it.
    > >

    > There are so many different pages with Facebook.

    Yer lost me, there's only one facebook page, www.facebook.com
    There really is no other. :)

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 27, 2011
  10. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-26, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <improo$2ld$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    >> > Geopelia
    >> > Try this http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-use-facebook/

    >> > I have never used facebook but the instructions here look pretty
    >> > comprehensive
    >> > and readable.
    >> > Tony
    >> >

    >> Thank you, I'll give that a go. It looks certainly looks very comprehensive
    >>
    >> (I've now got Trend Micro 2011 installed, and am waiting for the Broadband
    >> man to install that.
    >> When I have Broadband I should be able to see the videos.)
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > IIRC, you have a fairly old PC, and you are running the latest Trend
    > Micro. Good luck with the videos! - you'll need it, Trend Micro is a
    > pig of a beast even on new fast computers.
    >
    > re Facebook - jesus Geo, just get on it and have a go - that's how you
    > learn it.

    Yes, but what is the lesson received? Geo is asking how to *control*
    Facebook. So that there are no nasty suprises.

    Also so that all the wonderful features are found.

    Gordon, Apr 28, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ip9437$u43$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <improo$2ld$>, , Geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > IIRC, you have a fairly old PC, and you are running the latest Trend
    >> > Micro. Good luck with the videos! - you'll need it, Trend Micro is a
    >> > pig of a beast even on new fast computers.
    >> >
    >> > re Facebook - jesus Geo, just get on it and have a go - that's how you
    >> > learn it.
    >> >

    >> There are so many different pages with Facebook.

    > Yer lost me, there's only one facebook page, www.facebook.com
    > There really is no other. :)

    There are a lot of different pages on the version I have got.

    Geopelia, Apr 28, 2011
  12. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ipbllg$b5n$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <ip9437$u43$>, , Geopelia
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    > >> There are so many different pages with Facebook.

    > > Yer lost me, there's only one facebook page, www.facebook.com
    > > There really is no other. :)
    > >

    > There are a lot of different pages on the version I have got.

    There is only ONE facebook page - it's dynamically generated, so it will
    look different from user to user depending on what friends you have
    connected with, apps (I have zero apps, hate the things) and Groups.

    Top menu; main items of interest are Home and Profile.

    Down the left side, the main items are: Newsfeed, Messages, Events,
    Friends - and a few others that are probably of little use to you at
    this stage.

    On the right hand side near the top are current things, eg Upcoming
    Events. Below that are generally Facebook advertisements.

    In the middle area is the content. This is the main area. This has
    your friends posts (and maybe posts from groups you've joined too). At
    the top is an area you can type in to create a new post of your own (or
    just above that, you could change that to do something else, such as
    post a Photo, a Link or a Video (those are the main options you'd
    typically use).

    Dig in and have a crack. It's the only way to learn.

    If you don't like it, use the Account menu (top right) and cancel your
    account. Done, you're not on FB anymore.

    Your reply, "There are a lot of different pages on the version I have
    got" - just doesn't actually make a lot of sense. (There is only one
    version, the current version (it's a web application, to be specific),
    and there is only one page - it's at www.facebook.com! )

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 28, 2011
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ipbllg$b5n$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <ip9437$u43$>, , Geopelia
    >> > says...

    >> > Yer lost me, there's only one facebook page, www.facebook.com
    >> > There really is no other. :)
    >> >

    >> There are a lot of different pages on the version I have got.

    > There is only ONE facebook page - it's dynamically generated, so it will
    > look different from user to user depending on what friends you have
    > connected with, apps (I have zero apps, hate the things) and Groups.
    >
    > Top menu; main items of interest are Home and Profile.
    >
    > Down the left side, the main items are: Newsfeed, Messages, Events,
    > Friends - and a few others that are probably of little use to you at
    > this stage.
    >
    > On the right hand side near the top are current things, eg Upcoming
    > Events. Below that are generally Facebook advertisements.
    >
    > In the middle area is the content. This is the main area. This has
    > your friends posts (and maybe posts from groups you've joined too). At
    > the top is an area you can type in to create a new post of your own (or
    > just above that, you could change that to do something else, such as
    > post a Photo, a Link or a Video (those are the main options you'd
    > typically use).
    >
    > Dig in and have a crack. It's the only way to learn.
    >
    > If you don't like it, use the Account menu (top right) and cancel your
    > account. Done, you're not on FB anymore.
    >
    > Your reply, "There are a lot of different pages on the version I have
    > got" - just doesn't actually make a lot of sense. (There is only one
    > version, the current version (it's a web application, to be specific),
    > and there is only one page - it's at www.facebook.com! )

    Thank you for explaining it.

    I think I must have an incomplete version, or a different one.
    There is a page there on "How to use Facebook" but some of the tabs etc
    that one talks about aren't there.

    I only want it to talk to the family, anyway, and emails are better for
    that.

    Geopelia, Apr 28, 2011