Facebook very slow.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Jul 5, 2013.

  1. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 07/07/13 00:53, geopelia wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> On 06/07/13 00:33, geopelia wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's not my email address! I've seen it appearing here. I wonder
    >>> who put it there. It wouldn't find me anyway. I think there is
    >>> someone else called Geopelia in Japan, who plays computer games,
    >>> according to Google. He or she must be rather puzzled if he gets an
    >>> email meant for me! Geopelia
    >>>

    >> It appears in the headers of your posts. I think it must either be a
    >> default put in by your news reader, or you set it up that way right at the
    >> beginning.

    > I don't know who put it there. I doubt if it is a real address.

    It should not be a valid address unless you like SPAM! That's why most
    people put a fake one there. This is only for newsgroups by the way.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 7, 2013

  2. On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 02:36:38 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 14:14:20 +1200, Donchano
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 12:47:52 +1200, Frank Williams
    >>><> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>>Why don't you have a clue why people keep insulting you?

    >>Its just normal for the posters here to insults each other when they
    >>don't have a clue.

    >Geopelia has never insulted you or anyone else, so why did you insult her?
    >Tony

    Dick Head I did not INSULT any one...

    Frank Williams, Jul 7, 2013

  3. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 07/07/13 00:53, geopelia wrote:
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> It appears in the headers of your posts. I think it must either be a
    >>> default put in by your news reader, or you set it up that way right at
    >>> the
    >>> beginning.

    >> I don't know who put it there. I doubt if it is a real address.
    >>

    > It should not be a valid address unless you like SPAM! That's why most
    > people put a fake one there. This is only for newsgroups by the way.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I'm not worried, it can stay there.

    geopelia, Jul 7, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 02:36:38 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    > dot nz> wrote:
    >
    >>Frank Williams <> wrote:

    >>>Its just normal for the posters here to insults each other when they
    >>>don't have a clue.

    >>Geopelia has never insulted you or anyone else, so why did you insult her?
    >>Tony

    > Dick Head I did not INSULT any one...

    I didn't feel insulted. You should see some of the things poor old Ras
    called me, before I blocked him.
    He's probably still fulminating away, but now I can't see it.

    I know I'm dumb where computers are concerned!

    geopelia, Jul 7, 2013
  5. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-07-05, Tony <lizandtony> wrote:
    > Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 22:54:56 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    >>dot nz> wrote:

    >>>You should know Roger; after all you are just about brain dead judging by
    >>>your
    >>>rudeness and useless inarticulate posts.
    >>>People like you are only rude because you can hide behind a false name and
    >>>e-mail address - that is cowardice.
    >>>Tony

    >>No ! so 90% of the posters here are Cowards, so what is this..
    >>

    >>I had a nice friend that use to be here a lot all he did was to help
    >>people just like I do, but he was hounded and abused by most on here, so
    >>he pulled the plug.

    > As usual you miss the point. Anonymity is fine. But being rude anonymously is
    > cowardly.
    > Geo is never rude and you often are.
    > Quod Erat Demonstrandum!

    Indeed.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2013
  6. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-07-05, EMB <> wrote:
    > On 5/07/2013 5:08 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >

    >> I had a nice friend that use to be here a lot all he did was to help
    >> people just like I do, but he was hounded and abused by most on here, so
    >> he pulled the plug.
    >>

    > Stop lying Roger. You don't have any friends, to the stage that you
    > even had to mail order your bride.

    EMB, this is not like you. Roger is okay. Sometimes he puts the bullet right
    through the bulls eye.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-07-05, geopelia <> wrote:

    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On a technical level you have been found to be incompetent and
    >> ill-informed by posters far more experienced in modern software and
    >> hardware than you will ever be.
    >>
    >> You respond to all and sundry with insults rather than rebuttal.
    >> Referring to Facebook users as 'dead' is particularly offensive given
    >> that Geopelia's husband passed away recently and that she is (IIRC)
    >> older than the Queen.
    >>

    > Thank you for those kind words.
    > I don't worry about being insulted, after all we are just words on a page to
    > each other.

    No way, playing the person is never a good idea. I disagree with many
    people, however it is their ideas I agree with. Not that I wished them dead.

    > I know I'm dumb where computers are concerned, which I why I ask the kind
    > people here.

    No. Just slow, at best Geo.

    > I wish Hubby could use Facebook now! I often hear his voice, probably just
    > my brain playing tricks though.

    Maybe, but we are all spirits in a body when alive. Spirits only when dead.
    Go study religions, the old ones.

    > As for the Queen, I think she is four years older than me. I'm amazed how
    > well she still carries out her public engagements.

    Genes, and money. For health care. her Mother passed 100 years.

    Gordon, Jul 7, 2013
  8. On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 16:23:06 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> On 07/07/13 00:53, geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't know who put it there. I doubt if it is a real address.
    >>>

    >> It should not be a valid address unless you like SPAM! That's why most
    >> people put a fake one there. This is only for newsgroups by the way.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    >I'm not worried, it can stay there.

    I do suggests is better to stay with Emails and Skype is a lot more
    fun and private to.

    As no one has explain it the Network is overloaded and can run like a
    Dog, like is the US 30% of all data is Streaming Videos..

    So the network speed changes all the time, some times I can get 1Mbps
    and other time down to 30K from the same site.

    High Speed broad band here will only fix local content, but do we need
    the Internet to feed Video to the home, Satellite is far far better, but
    can be a problem for HD broadcasts, as it needs a lot more bandwidth.

    And don't forget 1080i is only 540 lines double up.

    Frank Williams, Jul 7, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2013-07-05, geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> On a technical level you have been found to be incompetent and
    >>> ill-informed by posters far more experienced in modern software and
    >>> hardware than you will ever be.
    >>>
    >>> You respond to all and sundry with insults rather than rebuttal.
    >>> Referring to Facebook users as 'dead' is particularly offensive given
    >>> that Geopelia's husband passed away recently and that she is (IIRC)
    >>> older than the Queen.
    >>>

    >> Thank you for those kind words.
    >> I don't worry about being insulted, after all we are just words on a page
    >> each other.

    > No way, playing the person is never a good idea. I disagree with many
    > people, however it is their ideas I agree with. Not that I wished them
    > dead.
    >

    >> I know I'm dumb where computers are concerned, which I why I ask the kind
    >> people here.

    > No. Just slow, at best Geo.

    I didn't grow up with computers, like the kids today.

    >> I wish Hubby could use Facebook now! I often hear his voice, probably
    >> just
    >> my brain playing tricks though.

    > Maybe, but we are all spirits in a body when alive. Spirits only when
    > dead.
    > Go study religions, the old ones.

    Wicca, or Mithras? I know a bit about the old Greek and Roman religions, of
    course.
    I've just read the Pope's latest, on the internet.
    And I'm half way through the Koran.
    I doubt if a spirit or soul can exist without a physical brain though.

    geopelia, Jul 7, 2013
  10. geopelia

    > On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 16:23:06 +1200, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> It should not be a valid address unless you like SPAM! That's why most
    >>> people put a fake one there. This is only for newsgroups by the way.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >>I'm not worried, it can stay there.
    >>

    > I do suggests is better to stay with Emails and Skype is a lot more
    > fun and private to.
    >

    > As no one has explain it the Network is overloaded and can run like a
    > Dog, like is the US 30% of all data is Streaming Videos..
    >
    > So the network speed changes all the time, some times I can get 1Mbps
    > and other time down to 30K from the same site.
    >
    > High Speed broad band here will only fix local content, but do we need
    > the Internet to feed Video to the home, Satellite is far far better, but
    > can be a problem for HD broadcasts, as it needs a lot more bandwidth.
    >

    > And don't forget 1080i is only 540 lines double up.

    Thank you. I haven't tried Skype yet.
    Facebook was fine until a few days ago.

    geopelia, Jul 7, 2013
  11. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kr4v9e$8sm$>, , geopelia
    says...

    > Is anyone else finding Facebook is very slow to show what is being typed
    > there?
    > Words used to show as I was typing them, as they do in these newsgroups.
    > Now it takes a long time for anything to show up, and then it arrives in
    > small groups of words.
    >
    > Is it Facebook, or my computer please?
    > I've done a full scan, and no virus was found.

    Quite possibly/probably your old PC. Facebook uses a *massive* amount
    of client-side script (Javascript). ie this runs locally - on your PC.

    If you are using Windows XP, you may well want to try a better and
    faster browser, such as Google Chrome. (Internet Explorer 7 isn't the
    best :( )

    So try it, you can always uninstall Google Chrome anytime if you wish.

    http://chrome.google.com

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Jul 8, 2013
  12. geopelia

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-07-05, EMB <> wrote:
    >> On 5/07/2013 5:08 p.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >>

    >>> I had a nice friend that use to be here a lot all he did was to help
    >>> people just like I do, but he was hounded and abused by most on
    >>> here, so he pulled the plug.
    >>>

    >> Stop lying Roger. You don't have any friends, to the stage that you
    >> even had to mail order your bride.

    > EMB, this is not like you. Roger is okay. Sometimes he puts the
    > bullet right through the bulls eye.

    If you fire off enough shots there's a reasonable chance that one or two
    will hit a target.....
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Jul 8, 2013
  13. geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 7/5/2013 11:14 AM, geopelia wrote:
    > Is anyone else finding Facebook is very slow to show what is being typed
    > there?
    > Words used to show as I was typing them, as they do in these newsgroups.
    > Now it takes a long time for anything to show up, and then it arrives in
    > small groups of words.
    >
    > Is it Facebook, or my computer please?
    > I've done a full scan, and no virus was found.

    To answer the actual question of the thread, I have seen some delays
    when typing recently that I think are to do with all the scripts to
    match friends names as you type. Not too bad tho, possibly just a letter
    or two behind where I am typing.

    Richard, Jul 8, 2013
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > On 7/5/2013 11:14 AM, geopelia wrote:
    >> Is anyone else finding Facebook is very slow to show what is being typed
    >> there?
    >> Words used to show as I was typing them, as they do in these newsgroups.
    >> Now it takes a long time for anything to show up, and then it arrives
    >> in
    >> small groups of words.
    >>
    >> Is it Facebook, or my computer please?
    >> I've done a full scan, and no virus was found.
    >>

    > To answer the actual question of the thread, I have seen some delays when
    > typing recently that I think are to do with all the scripts to match
    > friends names as you type. Not too bad tho, possibly just a letter or two
    > behind where I am typing.

    Mine isn't too bad just now, it starts off normally and then slows down and
    several words appear at a time, after a while.
    Good to know though that it isn't only me.
    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Jul 8, 2013
  15. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <kr4v9e$8sm$>, , geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> Is anyone else finding Facebook is very slow to show what is being typed
    >> there?
    >> Words used to show as I was typing them, as they do in these newsgroups.
    >> Now it takes a long time for anything to show up, and then it arrives in
    >> small groups of words.
    >>
    >> Is it Facebook, or my computer please?
    >> I've done a full scan, and no virus was found.

    > Quite possibly/probably your old PC. Facebook uses a *massive* amount
    > of client-side script (Javascript). ie this runs locally - on your PC.

    I got a new computer a few months ago.
    Everything on the old one is supposed to be here, but sometimes I have to
    hunt all over the place to find anything.
    There are a lot of adverts down the right hand side of Facebook, and
    annoying stuff comes up among the messages.
    I've got it on Friends and Family.

    > If you are using Windows XP, you may well want to try a better and
    > faster browser, such as Google Chrome. (Internet Explorer 7 isn't the
    > best :( )
    >
    > So try it, you can always uninstall Google Chrome anytime if you wish.

    I've seen something about Google Chrome appear sometimes. Do I just click on
    it next time it appears?
    If it's complicated I'll have to get the computer man.
    I'm finding everything I want just on Google.

    > http://chrome.google.com

    I had a look at that website but it doesn't say much about Chrome.

    geopelia, Jul 8, 2013
  16. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 15:28:23 +1200, Frank Williams
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 02:36:38 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    >>dot nz> wrote:

    >>>Geopelia has never insulted you or anyone else, so why did you insult
    >>>her?
    >>>Tony

    >>Dick Head I did not INSULT any one...

    > Roger this is your original response to Geo when she asked if anyone
    > else was finding Facebook to be slow:
    >
    > "No its for dead people, I just do not use this stupid thing.
    > Don't use it then you not have to worry about it."
    >
    > You are telling Geo that you think Facebook users (like Geo) are 'dead
    > people', that Facebook users (like Geo) are using a 'stupid thing'.
    > Now you say you did not insult anyone.
    >
    > On top of that your post was totally off-topic.

    I didn't see it as insulting me personally.

    People use Facebook for different purposes, just as they use Google.

    geopelia, Jul 9, 2013
  17. In article <kri0vu$vf6$>, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >I didn't see it as insulting me personally.

    I thought it was rude (as is often the case with roger).

    >People use Facebook for different purposes, just as they use Google.

    And for completeness, I don't use it at all - nor will I (they want too much
    information I'm not prepared to provide :) ).
    Doesn't make roger right tho. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 10, 2013
  18. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:kri8t9$2eb$...
    > In article <kri0vu$vf6$>, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    > (snip)
    >>
    >>I didn't see it as insulting me personally.

    > I thought it was rude (as is often the case with roger).

    Poor old Ras in nz.general used to be very rude, even using obscene words,
    until I blocked his posts.
    I don't know what he may be calling me now.
    I thought "Babylonian witch" was rather funny though.

    >>People use Facebook for different purposes, just as they use Google.

    > And for completeness, I don't use it at all - nor will I (they want too
    > much
    > information I'm not prepared to provide :) ).
    > Doesn't make roger right tho. :) :)

    I've provided very little. "Retired" is about all that's on my profile.
    And I've got Friends and Family, not the general public.

    geopelia, Jul 10, 2013
  19. In article <krigq2$2gf$>, "geopelia" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:kri8t9$2eb$...
    >> In article <kri0vu$vf6$>, "geopelia" <>
    >> wrote:
    >> (snip)
    >>>
    >>>I didn't see it as insulting me personally.

    >> I thought it was rude (as is often the case with roger).

    >Poor old Ras in nz.general used to be very rude, even using obscene words,
    >until I blocked his posts.
    >I don't know what he may be calling me now.
    >I thought "Babylonian witch" was rather funny though.

    I rather like insults that are a least a bit clever/new. I like that one
    and may well steal it. :)
    Insults that use a small number of often repeated and usually small words
    will get the poster into the bit bucket fairly smartly on the other hand.
    All noise and no signal. :)

    >>>People use Facebook for different purposes, just as they use Google.

    Yep. And I don't use google either for pretty much the same reasons I don't
    use facebook etc (try duckduckgo as your search engine ...
    https://duckduckgo.com/)

    >> And for completeness, I don't use it at all - nor will I (they want too
    >> much
    >> information I'm not prepared to provide :) ).
    >> Doesn't make roger right tho. :) :)

    >I've provided very little. "Retired" is about all that's on my profile.
    >And I've got Friends and Family, not the general public.

    Sadly, facebook do not treat data securely in any way. Neither can you
    delete your data or account (for example). I reckon facebook is the
    question, not the answer ... the answer is "no". :)
    Also sadly, facebook are not alone in their poor practices ... and even more
    sadly for me, no one seems to care.

    Oh well. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 10, 2013
  20. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:kriq55$3ln$...
    > In article <krigq2$2gf$>, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>in message news:kri8t9$2eb$...
    >>> In article <kri0vu$vf6$>, "geopelia"
    >>> <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>> (snip)

    >>> I thought it was rude (as is often the case with roger).

    >>Poor old Ras in nz.general used to be very rude, even using obscene words,
    >>until I blocked his posts.
    >>I don't know what he may be calling me now.
    >>I thought "Babylonian witch" was rather funny though.

    > I rather like insults that are a least a bit clever/new. I like that one
    > and may well steal it. :)
    > Insults that use a small number of often repeated and usually small words
    > will get the poster into the bit bucket fairly smartly on the other hand.
    > All noise and no signal. :)

    > Yep. And I don't use google either for pretty much the same reasons I
    > don't
    > use facebook etc (try duckduckgo as your search engine ...
    > https://duckduckgo.com/)
    >

    >>> And for completeness, I don't use it at all - nor will I (they want too
    >>> much
    >>> information I'm not prepared to provide :) ).
    >>> Doesn't make roger right tho. :) :)

    >>I've provided very little. "Retired" is about all that's on my profile.
    >>And I've got Friends and Family, not the general public.

    > Sadly, facebook do not treat data securely in any way. Neither can you
    > delete your data or account (for example). I reckon facebook is the
    > question, not the answer ... the answer is "no". :)
    > Also sadly, facebook are not alone in their poor practices ... and even
    > more
    > sadly for me, no one seems to care.
    >
    > Oh well. :)

    Most of what I post there is a comment on somebody else's post.

    Now it seems to have fixed whatever the problem was. It appeared as I typed
    the letters, tonight.
    I think it must have been their end, as I haven't done anything to the
    computer.

    geopelia, Jul 10, 2013