Facebook bans app that does what something they paid $1.4 billion for does

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 26, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    BBC:

    25 February 2013 Last updated at 11:16 ET
    Facebook blocks Vintage Camera app
    By Zoe Kleinman Technology reporter, BBC News

    The developers of an application called Vintage Camera say Facebook
    has unjustly banned users from uploading their photos to the social
    network.

    The app, which works on Apple devices, provides various effects to
    make pictures look dated.

    French studio Presselite, which developed the app, says it has more
    than eight million users worldwide.

    Facebook told the developers the decision had been made following
    negative feedback from account holders.

    After Presselight appealed against the ban, Facebook sent the company
    an email saying: "We've checked out the circumstances of your app's
    restriction, and we found that your app received strong negative
    feedback from users and their friends.

    "Unfortunately, we will not be able to restore your app's
    functionality."

    But Presselite co-founder Antoine Morcos said that, according to
    administration data provided by Facebook itself, there had been about
    one negative report per 1,000 images shared via the app, which he
    believed had been due to "inappropriate use".

    "We don't understand how Facebook could block the access to millions
    of users of the Vintage Camera application who want to share their
    photos on Facebook, only because of a few negative feedback reports,"
    Mr Morcos wrote in a press statement.

    "As you all know, Facebook has acquired the Instagram photo-sharing
    application, and we hope this acquisition is not influencing this kind
    of access limitation for other photo applications."

    After being contacted by the BBC, Facebook said that Presselite had
    received warnings about the app before it was blocked.

    "While we provide an open platform, every application on Platform is
    required to meet our policies. We take both automated and manual steps
    to detect violations and ensure compliance," the firm said.

    "Pending on the violation, we give developers an opportunity to come
    into compliance via a warning system. In the case of this application,
    the application was not in compliance with our platform policies and
    had received three warnings prior to our systems taking action on the
    application."

    The app has a four-star average rating on the Apple store, although
    some users have written in reviews it does not always work and others
    complain it is too similar to Instagram,

    In 2010, Presselite accused London-based developer Q Mapps of
    infringing its copyright, after both firms released an app called
    Paris Metro for Apple devices.

    Presselite asked Apple to remove the Q Mapps app from its store but
    was found to have had its trademark application rejected by the US
    Patent and Trademark Office.

    RichA, Feb 26, 2013

  2. Re: Facebook bans app that does what something they paid $1.4 billionfor does

    On 26/02/2013 7:04 AM, bugbear wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    >> BBC:

    > Here's a non copyright infringing link, instead
    > of Rich's cut 'n' paste.
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21572740
    >
    > On the face of it, it sounds like Presselite
    > are a bunch of idea-lifting weasels and Facebook
    > are pretending to stake out the high ground
    > whilst really defending their own investment in Instagram,
    >
    > They deserve each other.
    >
    > BugBear

    It's the "their server, their rules" concept.

    --
    This space intentionally left blank.

    Usenet Account, Feb 26, 2013

  3. RichA

    sarissa Guest

    On 26/02/2013 12:04, bugbear wrote:
    > RichA wrote:
    >> BBC:

    > Here's a non copyright infringing link, instead
    > of Rich's cut 'n' paste.
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21572740
    >
    > On the face of it, it sounds like Presselite
    > are a bunch of idea-lifting weasels and Facebook
    > are pretending to stake out the high ground
    > whilst really defending their own investment in Instagram,
    >
    > They deserve each other.
    >
    > BugBear

    My Canon GX1 and EOS 60D can do similar effects - are they going to ban
    images taken on these as well?

    sarissa, Mar 9, 2013