    into a retailer and feel I can get genuine help when selecting the
    replacement. Any suggestions - I live in South Devon (UK).

    Len

    Len, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Len

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <3fa145d3$0$12666$>
    "Len" <> wrote:

    > I want to upgrade my Kodak 280 which has been fine but I think needs
    > retiring off for, hopefully, a better performing camera. I would like to go
    > into a retailer and feel I can get genuine help when selecting the
    > replacement. Any suggestions - I live in South Devon (UK).

    Dealers/shops are in business to make money. Some do it by selling
    you something with a higher spec than you need. Some give better
    advice than others. Some put more pressure on you make a decision.

    My own (recent) experience was to make a shortlist of cameras that
    suited my needs, find local dealers who had them in stock and go
    and handle them. Ask a few simple questions to which you know the answer
    (by doing your research beforehand). Their replies will tell you
    whether it's worth going further and maybe buying the camera from them.

    My own opinion is don't buy via the internet, even if it looks
    a good deal. In the long term, if you have any problems it's
    easier to deal with someone in a local shop.

    I've always found Jessops to be OK (they have a store in Exeter).
    Alternatively look in your local Yellow Pages.
    I would avoid buying from such as Dixons, Currys, Argos, etc.

    Barry
    --
    I was going to join the Apathetic Society, but I couldn't be bothered...

    Barry Smith, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Len

    Len Guest

    "Barry Smith" <> wrote in message
    > In message <3fa145d3$0$12666$>
    > "Len" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I want to upgrade my Kodak 280 which has been fine but I think needs
    > > retiring off for, hopefully, a better performing camera. I would like to

    go
    > > into a retailer and feel I can get genuine help when selecting the
    > > replacement. Any suggestions - I live in South Devon (UK).

    > Dealers/shops are in business to make money. Some do it by selling
    > you something with a higher spec than you need. Some give better
    > advice than others. Some put more pressure on you make a decision.
    >
    > My own (recent) experience was to make a shortlist of cameras that
    > suited my needs, find local dealers who had them in stock and go
    > and handle them. Ask a few simple questions to which you know the answer
    > (by doing your research beforehand). Their replies will tell you
    > whether it's worth going further and maybe buying the camera from them.
    >
    > My own opinion is don't buy via the internet, even if it looks
    > a good deal. In the long term, if you have any problems it's
    > easier to deal with someone in a local shop.
    >
    > I've always found Jessops to be OK (they have a store in Exeter).
    > Alternatively look in your local Yellow Pages.
    > I would avoid buying from such as Dixons, Currys, Argos, etc.
    >
    > Barry

    Thanks for that Barry

    I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never been
    in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of the
    magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
    excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not high
    enough budget.

    Len

    Len, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Len

    Graham Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:

    > I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never been
    > in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of the
    > magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
    > excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not high
    > enough budget.

    And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
    net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

    Graham, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Len

    Len Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
    >
    > > I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never

    been
    > > in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of

    the
    > > magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
    > > excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not

    high
    > > enough budget.

    > And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
    > net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

    Good point as there web site price not that competitive.

    Len

    Len, Oct 31, 2003
  6. Len

    Graham Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:29:38 -0000, Len expounded this theory:

    >> And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
    >> net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

    > Good point as there web site price not that competitive.

    I bought a camera from them last week. They advertised it at £499.00.
    Park Cameras had it for £417.00. Jessops sold it to me for £417.00
    plus the six pounds P&P that Park Cameras charge.

    Graham, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Len

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:12:02 +0000, Graham <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
    >
    >> I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never been
    >> in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several of the
    >> magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are some
    >> excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not high
    >> enough budget.

    >And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
    >net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

    I wanted to buy a Nikon Coolpix 5700

    Jessops price was 850ish. I went through the latest edition of
    "Digital Camera Buyer" and trawled through all the ads.

    I tagged all those selling the camera I wanted - I found a shop in
    Exeter (Devon Camera Centre) selling it at 700. I live in 40 miles
    away. I went into Jessops with the magazine and they price matched.

    Try Devon Camera Centre, 25 Princesshay, Exeter. They were the
    cheapest I found. Also see www.digital-experts.co.uk

    Regards
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Len

    Len Guest

    "Donald Gray" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:12:02 +0000, Graham <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:08:50 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
    > >
    > >> I agree about avoiding the same list as shops as you but I have never

    been
    > >> in a Jessops shop so will try - in Exeter. I have been buying several

    of the
    > >> magazines, reading this NG and looking at the links where there are

    some
    > >> excellent reviews but usual problem a shopping list of features but not

    high
    > >> enough budget.

    > >And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
    > >net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

    > I wanted to buy a Nikon Coolpix 5700
    >
    > Jessops price was 850ish. I went through the latest edition of
    > "Digital Camera Buyer" and trawled through all the ads.
    >
    > I tagged all those selling the camera I wanted - I found a shop in
    > Exeter (Devon Camera Centre) selling it at 700. I live in 40 miles
    > away. I went into Jessops with the magazine and they price matched.
    >
    > Try Devon Camera Centre, 25 Princesshay, Exeter. They were the
    > cheapest I found. Also see www.digital-experts.co.uk
    >
    > Regards
    > --
    > Donald Gray

    Thanks for that I am only 14 miles from Exeter so will get into Jessops and
    Devon Camera Centre. Still trying to short list my essential needs and
    seeing if I have the budget for the end result.

    Len

    Len, Nov 1, 2003
  9. Len

    Len Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:29:38 -0000, Len expounded this theory:
    >
    > >> And Jessops will will price match. So find the best UK price on the
    > >> net and visit Jessops armed with their phone number.

    > > Good point as there web site price not that competitive.

    > I bought a camera from them last week. They advertised it at £499.00.
    > Park Cameras had it for £417.00. Jessops sold it to me for £417.00
    > plus the six pounds P&P that Park Cameras charge.

    Do you mind my asking what camera as my budget is £400 max?

    Len

    Len, Nov 1, 2003
  10. Len

    Graham Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:16:53 -0000, Len expounded this theory:

    > Do you mind my asking what camera as my budget is £400 max?

    It was the Sony DSC V1. I already have a Nikon D100 and I wanted
    something to slip into my pocket.

    Graham, Nov 1, 2003