Face curves looking ragged/pixelly

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Jul 25, 2004.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Chef! <> wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >I took some photos down in Brighton and all came out ok, apart from a couple
    >of my partner's face - round the cheek area. It was shot in B&W and colour
    >@ 3.2 or 5 MP(Sony W1) and she has black hair, sunny conditions. The white
    >of her face curves, where it meets the blackness of her hair in the
    >background, had a ragged finish to it -as if the camera had difficulties in
    >drawing a curve finish. I've had the camera for a month and have had
    >perfect results and have not experienced this sort of result from it. Is it
    >renderable with something like PhotoShop -if so which tool?

    Too possible reasons:
    1. too high JPEG compression level (choose instead the highest quality
    JPEG setting your camera has).
    2. too much in camera sharpening (try reducing the sharpening level, if
    your camera has such an adjustment)
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jul 25, 2004

  2. Alfred Molon

    Chef! Guest

    Hi All,
    I took some photos down in Brighton and all came out ok, apart from a couple
    of my partner's face - round the cheek area. It was shot in B&W and colour
    @ 3.2 or 5 MP(Sony W1) and she has black hair, sunny conditions. The white
    of her face curves, where it meets the blackness of her hair in the
    background, had a ragged finish to it -as if the camera had difficulties in
    drawing a curve finish. I've had the camera for a month and have had
    perfect results and have not experienced this sort of result from it. Is it
    renderable with something like PhotoShop -if so which tool?

    Many thanks,
    Keen Amateur Snapper!

    Chef!, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Alfred Molon

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message

    > 2. too much in camera sharpening (try reducing the sharpening level, if
    > your camera has such an adjustment)

    This comment is interesting. I'm in the "infant" stage of choosing a digital
    camera, so I'm still uninformed and have a question: What is this sharpening
    feature supposed to compensate for? Camera movement? Auto-focus errors?

    Doug Kanter, Jul 25, 2004
  4. Alfred Molon

    Paul H. Guest

    "Chef!" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I took some photos down in Brighton and all came out ok, apart from a

    couple
    > of my partner's face - round the cheek area. It was shot in B&W and

    colour
    > @ 3.2 or 5 MP(Sony W1) and she has black hair, sunny conditions. The

    white
    > of her face curves, where it meets the blackness of her hair in the
    > background, had a ragged finish to it -as if the camera had difficulties

    in
    > drawing a curve finish. I've had the camera for a month and have had
    > perfect results and have not experienced this sort of result from it. Is

    it
    > renderable with something like PhotoShop -if so which tool?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Keen Amateur Snapper!

    There's a freeware simple image editor called "Photofiltre" (
    www.photofiltre.com ) which has a pretty good anti-aliasing filter included
    in the package.

    Paul H., Jul 25, 2004
  5. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Doug Kanter <> wrote:
    >> 2. too much in camera sharpening (try reducing the sharpening level, if
    >> your camera has such an adjustment)

    >This comment is interesting. I'm in the "infant" stage of choosing a digital
    >camera, so I'm still uninformed and have a question: What is this sharpening
    >feature supposed to compensate for? Camera movement? Auto-focus errors?

    The in-camera sharpening is necessary for the following reasons:

    1. First of all, all Bayer CCD cameras (i.e. all cameras except the
    Sigma Foveon one) have to interpolate the CCD data to obtain full-colour
    pixels. This interpolation process reduces the sharpness.
    2. The lens might not be too sharp.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jul 25, 2004
  6. Alfred Molon

    > Doug Kanter <> wrote:
    > >> 2. too much in camera sharpening (try reducing the sharpening level, if
    > >> your camera has such an adjustment)

    > >This comment is interesting. I'm in the "infant" stage of choosing a

    digital
    > >camera, so I'm still uninformed and have a question: What is this

    sharpening
    > >feature supposed to compensate for? Camera movement? Auto-focus errors?

    > The in-camera sharpening is necessary for the following reasons:
    >
    > 1. First of all, all Bayer CCD cameras (i.e. all cameras except the
    > Sigma Foveon one) have to interpolate the CCD data to obtain full-colour
    > pixels. This interpolation process reduces the sharpness.
    > 2. The lens might not be too sharp.

    Can the degree of sharpening be controlled or shut off on any cameras in the
    $200-$500 range?

    Doug Kanter, Jul 25, 2004
  7. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest