FA: Duel Region 1 DVD OOP 9 Hours left!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Clare Quilty, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Spielberg's Duel is now no longer listed on Amazon.com or the major DVD
    retailers.

    I have two copies left, auctioning on the following URLs:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2CF23716
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?L20063816

    These are eBay links, shortened so they don't get chopped in half and you
    get lost en route ;)

    9 HOURS TO GO!

    Best of luck!

    Tony

    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!
    Clare Quilty, Oct 4, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Clare Quilty

    Master Bird Guest

    Luck? Why would I want to be lucky and get a DVD that has problems with it. Why do you think it was
    recalled? It will be reissued next year.


    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:25:08 +0100, "Clare Quilty" <> wrote:

    >Spielberg's Duel is now no longer listed on Amazon.com or the major DVD
    >retailers.
    >
    >I have two copies left, auctioning on the following URLs:
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2CF23716
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?L20063816
    >
    >These are eBay links, shortened so they don't get chopped in half and you
    >get lost en route ;)
    >
    >9 HOURS TO GO!
    >
    >Best of luck!
    >
    >Tony



    Doc Speedbyrd
    Master Bird, Oct 4, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Well the information I have is a problem regarding licensing, but if you
    would like to back up what you say with some fact, then feel free.
    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!

    "Master Bird" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Luck? Why would I want to be lucky and get a DVD that has problems with

    it. Why do you think it was
    > recalled? It will be reissued next year.
    >
    >
    > On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:25:08 +0100, "Clare Quilty"

    <> wrote:
    >
    > >Spielberg's Duel is now no longer listed on Amazon.com or the major DVD
    > >retailers.
    > >
    > >I have two copies left, auctioning on the following URLs:
    > >
    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2CF23716
    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?L20063816
    > >
    > >These are eBay links, shortened so they don't get chopped in half and you
    > >get lost en route ;)
    > >
    > >9 HOURS TO GO!
    > >
    > >Best of luck!
    > >
    > >Tony

    >
    >
    > Doc Speedbyrd
    Clare Quilty, Oct 4, 2003
    #3
  4. Clare Quilty

    Master Bird Guest

    If you had read the previous postings on this subject (not that I OWE you any backup!) It's said that the
    video and audio were not in synch with each other. I haven't seen the disc but some folks wrote about this
    here.


    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 17:16:12 +0100, "Clare Quilty" <> wrote:

    >Well the information I have is a problem regarding licensing, but if you
    >would like to back up what you say with some fact, then feel free.



    Doc Speedbyrd
    Master Bird, Oct 4, 2003
    #4
  5. Clare Quilty

    ML-78 Guest

    > Luck? Why would I want to be lucky and get a DVD that has problems with it.

    What problems does the "Duel" DVD have?


    ML-78
    ML-78, Oct 4, 2003
    #5
  6. Clare Quilty

    Master Bird Guest

    On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:49:49 +0200, "ML-78" <> wrote:

    >> Luck? Why would I want to be lucky and get a DVD that has problems with it.

    >
    >What problems does the "Duel" DVD have?
    >
    >
    >ML-78
    >



    Some folks on here posted that the sound/video were not synched

    Doc Speedbyrd
    Master Bird, Oct 4, 2003
    #6
  7. Clare Quilty

    Jeffman Guest

    I have this DVD and it plays fine.

    Jeffman
    Jeffman, Oct 4, 2003
    #7
  8. Clare Quilty

    Carniv4 Guest

    "Master Bird" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >
    > If you had read the previous postings on this subject (not that I OWE you

    any backup!) It's said that the
    > video and audio were not in synch with each other. I haven't seen the

    disc but some folks wrote about this
    > here.



    Yes, some people did post about a synch problem, but that has NOT been
    confirmed as the reason why the disc was pulled. It's definitely a
    possibility as are countless other reasons such as clip issues and whatnot.
    No one knows for sure outside of the Universal execs and probably Spielberg.

    There were no synch problems with my copy - it looks and plays great. An
    excellent disc. The few reviews of the disc I read at the time also made
    no mention of any synch problem. I do recall some people posting here and
    on another forum about the synch issue and maybe there is a player
    compatibility issue. But there have been many discs that act up with
    certain players, but most are not "recalled" because of this. All of this
    is conjecture, though. There is no official word from Universal why it's
    been yanked.
    Carniv4, Oct 4, 2003
    #8
  9. Clare Quilty

    Mike McGee Guest

    In article <>, Master Bird
    <> wrote:

    > Some folks on here posted that the sound/video were not synched
    >
    > Doc Speedbyrd



    Not true. "Some folks" was one guy who posted something about the DTS
    not being in sync after he had it on pause for ages.

    Regardless, I have this disc, and it's fine. There are no audio/video
    sync issues at all. None.

    Here's a link to the full review:
    http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244

    I'm guessing that the recall has something to do with the standard 4:3
    video release, as opposed to a dual (no pun intended) 4:3 and 16:9
    release. The current disc has the European theatrical cut, yet it's in
    4:3. This sounds to me like the issue, but it's just a guess.

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Mike McGee
    Webmaster, The Digital Review
    http://www.thedigitalreview.com
    Mike McGee, Oct 5, 2003
    #9
  10. Before you start contradicting what I said, perhaps you should KNOW why the disc was recalled. You say 'not
    true', but then you say "I'm guessing..." There was more than 'one guy 'who posted a message about the
    sound. So get your facts together before you run off at the yap!


    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 09:22:47 GMT, Mike McGee <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote:

    >In article <>, Master Bird
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Some folks on here posted that the sound/video were not synched
    >>
    >> Doc Speedbyrd

    >
    >
    >Not true. "Some folks" was one guy who posted something about the DTS
    >not being in sync after he had it on pause for ages.
    >
    >Regardless, I have this disc, and it's fine. There are no audio/video
    >sync issues at all. None.
    >
    >Here's a link to the full review:
    >http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244
    >
    >I'm guessing that the recall has something to do with the standard 4:3
    >video release, as opposed to a dual (no pun intended) 4:3 and 16:9
    >release. The current disc has the European theatrical cut, yet it's in
    >4:3. This sounds to me like the issue, but it's just a guess.



    SpeadByrd PhD
    Speeaddbird Phdd, Oct 5, 2003
    #10
  11. Clare Quilty

    ML-78 Guest

    > Before you start contradicting what I said, perhaps you should KNOW why the
    disc was recalled.

    And this doesn't apply to yourself?

    > So get your facts together before you run off at the yap!


    Take a look at your own first post in this thread.


    ML-78
    ML-78, Oct 5, 2003
    #11
  12. On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:23:34 +0200, "ML-78" <> wrote:

    >> Before you start contradicting what I said, perhaps you should KNOW why the

    >disc was recalled.
    >
    >And this doesn't apply to yourself?
    >
    >> So get your facts together before you run off at the yap!

    >
    >Take a look at your own first post in this thread.
    >
    >
    >ML-78
    >
    >



    Hit the road

    SpeadByrd PhD
    Speeaddbird Phdd, Oct 5, 2003
    #12
  13. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    > If you had read the previous postings on this subject (not that I OWE you
    any backup!)

    When you essentially accuse someone of selling defective merchandise, then
    yes, you do owe that person 'backup'. It's called manners.

    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!
    Clare Quilty, Oct 6, 2003
    #13
  14. Clare Quilty

    SpeedyBird Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 10:19:20 +0100, "Clare Quilty" <> wrote:

    >> If you had read the previous postings on this subject (not that I OWE you

    >any backup!)
    >
    >When you essentially accuse someone of selling defective merchandise, then
    >yes, you do owe that person 'backup'. It's called manners.



    Then you came to the wrong place.

    SpeedyByrd PhD
    SpeedyBird, Oct 6, 2003
    #14
  15. Fact: Five people in this thread (including myself) say that there are
    no audio or visual problems. No synch problems whatsoever.

    Fact: The three people who posted on the HTF about a synch problem were
    all based in England and all admitted (ultimately) that it could be
    their players. Furthermore, they were talking only about the DTS track.
    No one in the US has posted about a synch problem on DTS or DD tracks.
    Nor, to the best of my recollection, has anyone who'd actually seen the
    disc posted about a synch problem here in this ng. What they posted in
    this ng was that someone at the HTF had mentioned it. Again, the three
    people at the HTF have all admitted it was most likely a player issue in
    the UK.

    Fact: Duel was shot for television, in Academy ratio. It doesn't matter
    what cut of the film it is, the ratio is correct for the way Spielberg
    composed his film. That doesn't mean that it wasn't shown in 1:66 in
    Europe, but it does mean that it was shown here first on television in
    the format that the TV movie was made for.

    Fact: No one knows the reason for the recall.

    Fact: If you haven't seen the DVD anything you post is merely
    supposition and gleaned from what others have posted, whether factual or
    not. Within this thread are people who HAVE seen the disc, therefore
    I'm afraid that we have the edge, knowledge-wise.
    Brockhurst Pertwee, Oct 6, 2003
    #15
  16. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Thanks BP for posting this info, but there is really little to worry about
    from a pointless troll ;)

    SpeedyBird ... a PhD, no less. I am fascinated to know what it's in ... do
    please enlighten me ....

    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!
    "Brockhurst Pertwee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Fact: Five people in this thread (including myself) say that there are
    > no audio or visual problems. No synch problems whatsoever.
    >
    > Fact: The three people who posted on the HTF about a synch problem were
    > all based in England and all admitted (ultimately) that it could be
    > their players. Furthermore, they were talking only about the DTS track.
    > No one in the US has posted about a synch problem on DTS or DD tracks.
    > Nor, to the best of my recollection, has anyone who'd actually seen the
    > disc posted about a synch problem here in this ng. What they posted in
    > this ng was that someone at the HTF had mentioned it. Again, the three
    > people at the HTF have all admitted it was most likely a player issue in
    > the UK.
    >
    > Fact: Duel was shot for television, in Academy ratio. It doesn't matter
    > what cut of the film it is, the ratio is correct for the way Spielberg
    > composed his film. That doesn't mean that it wasn't shown in 1:66 in
    > Europe, but it does mean that it was shown here first on television in
    > the format that the TV movie was made for.
    >
    > Fact: No one knows the reason for the recall.
    >
    > Fact: If you haven't seen the DVD anything you post is merely
    > supposition and gleaned from what others have posted, whether factual or
    > not. Within this thread are people who HAVE seen the disc, therefore
    > I'm afraid that we have the edge, knowledge-wise.
    >
    Clare Quilty, Oct 6, 2003
    #16
  17. Clare Quilty

    SpeedyBird Guest

    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:31:19 -0700 (PDT), (Brockhurst Pertwee) wrote:

    >Fact: Five people in this thread (including myself) say that there are
    >no audio or visual problems. No synch problems whatsoever.
    >
    >Fact: The three people who posted on the HTF about a synch problem were
    >all based in England and all admitted (ultimately) that it could be
    >their players. Furthermore, they were talking only about the DTS track.
    >No one in the US has posted about a synch problem on DTS or DD tracks.
    >Nor, to the best of my recollection, has anyone who'd actually seen the
    >disc posted about a synch problem here in this ng. What they posted in
    >this ng was that someone at the HTF had mentioned it. Again, the three
    >people at the HTF have all admitted it was most likely a player issue in
    >the UK.
    >
    >Fact: Duel was shot for television, in Academy ratio. It doesn't matter
    >what cut of the film it is, the ratio is correct for the way Spielberg
    >composed his film. That doesn't mean that it wasn't shown in 1:66 in
    >Europe, but it does mean that it was shown here first on television in
    >the format that the TV movie was made for.
    >
    >Fact: No one knows the reason for the recall.
    >
    >Fact: If you haven't seen the DVD anything you post is merely
    >supposition and gleaned from what others have posted, whether factual or
    >not. Within this thread are people who HAVE seen the disc, therefore
    >I'm afraid that we have the edge, knowledge-wise.



    Didn't I say, based on previous postings? Don't have a nosebleed over it.

    SpeedyByrd PhD
    SpeedyBird, Oct 7, 2003
    #17
  18. Clare Quilty

    SpeedyBird Guest

    I don't recall having summoned you, therefore no explanation of my education and qualifications is due you.
    Now be gone. The issue of Duel still is open for discussion with anyone but you.


    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:12:32 +0100, "Clare Quilty" <> wrote:

    >Thanks BP for posting this info, but there is really little to worry about
    >from a pointless troll ;)
    >
    >SpeedyBird ... a PhD, no less. I am fascinated to know what it's in ... do
    >please enlighten me ....



    SpeedyByrd PhD
    SpeedyBird, Oct 7, 2003
    #18
  19. Clare Quilty

    Clare Quilty Guest

    Being the arrogant person which you clearly are, had you qualifications of
    any value you would be eager to brag about them. Yet you are not.

    How interesting.

    --
    N. B. To reply to me, remove a word in my email address after the at symbol,
    to leave the name of a popular MS-owned web mail service!

    "SpeedyBird" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I don't recall having summoned you, therefore no explanation of my

    education and qualifications is due you.
    > Now be gone. The issue of Duel still is open for discussion with anyone

    but you.
    >
    >
    > On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:12:32 +0100, "Clare Quilty"

    <> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks BP for posting this info, but there is really little to worry

    about
    > >from a pointless troll ;)
    > >
    > >SpeedyBird ... a PhD, no less. I am fascinated to know what it's in ...

    do
    > >please enlighten me ....

    >
    >
    > SpeedyByrd PhD
    Clare Quilty, Oct 7, 2003
    #19
  20. Why would I need to brag about them? I know who I am and I don't care about you.
    That's the difference between us. I'm somebody and you're a bottom feeder. Now scat!




    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 05:18:22 +0100, "Clare Quilty" <> wrote:

    >Being the arrogant person which you clearly are, had you qualifications of
    >any value you would be eager to brag about them. Yet you are not.
    >
    >How interesting.



    SpeedyByrd PhD
    SpeedByrd PhD., Oct 7, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. SJG
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    353
  2. Cato The Elder
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    412
    Cato The Elder
    May 4, 2004
  3. Cato The Elder
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    512
    Joe McC
    Aug 15, 2004
  4. Hockeyman
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    680
    unclejr
    Apr 18, 2006
  5. Tony Tee
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,213
    Stan Brown
    Jul 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page