    <> wrote in message
    news:...

    For $100 + S&H ? Hardly.

    Homer J Simpson, Sep 18, 2006

  3. Dan Guest

    Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    Homer J Simpson wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > For $100 + S&H ? Hardly.

    ************
    You could go to Amazon.com. Prices for used copies range from $155 to
    $290.

    Dan, Sep 18, 2006
  4. Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    In article <C6APg.22446$cz3.16250@edtnps82>,
    Homer J Simpson <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >
    >For $100 + S&H ? Hardly.

    Lowest price on Amazon from their new and used vendors is
    $155.00. Highest price is $290.

    At that $100 is a bargain. I'm glad I got mine when it was
    still in print.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Sep 18, 2006
  5. Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    "Dan" <> wrote in message

    > Homer J Simpson wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> For $100 + S&H ? Hardly.

    > ************
    > You could go to Amazon.com. Prices for used copies range from $155 to
    > $290.

    Amazon vendors wanted $125 for a $20 book I wanted - eBay vendor sold it me
    for $15.

    Homer J Simpson, Sep 19, 2006
  6. Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    In article <4DGPg.24365$cz3.5474@edtnps82>,
    Homer J Simpson <> wrote:

    >"Dan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Homer J Simpson wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> For $100 + S&H ? Hardly.

    >> ************
    >> You could go to Amazon.com. Prices for used copies range from $155 to
    >> $290.

    >Amazon vendors wanted $125 for a $20 book I wanted - eBay vendor sold it me
    >for $15.

    And I've found that if you got to abebooks.com you can find
    hundreds of vendors for some titles with prices from really cheap
    to outrageous.

    The problem with "Cinema Europe" is that there are not too many
    places that have that for sale. Books aren't quite the same as
    DVDs.

    And I heartily recommend Cinema Europe. I recorded it on S-VHS
    when TCM first broadcast it, and then got the commercial DVD.

    Maybe TCM will re-broadcast this series again someday.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Sep 19, 2006
  7. Guest

    Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    Well, respectfully, I think you have little understanding of how
    markets work and prices are made. if you can cite one vendor anywhere
    selling this DVD set cheaper, please do so. You have the entire
    internet at your disposal for the task. Everything else is just talk.

    I'll give you a head start: there are none on Amazon, eBay, Froogle or
    Shopzilla. But you can get the VHS set for a $1.50 cheaper on eBay.

    , Sep 19, 2006
  8. Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    <> wrote in message

    > Well, respectfully, I think you have little understanding of how
    > markets work and prices are made. if you can cite one vendor anywhere
    > selling this DVD set cheaper, please do so. You have the entire
    > internet at your disposal for the task. Everything else is just talk.
    >
    > I'll give you a head start: there are none on Amazon, eBay, Froogle or
    > Shopzilla. But you can get the VHS set for a $1.50 cheaper on eBay.

    But is this such a remarkable deal that it is OK to spam it across multiple
    newsgroups? Now if he found 1,000 sets all for $9.99 . . . . .

    Homer J Simpson, Sep 19, 2006
  9. Guest

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > In article <C6APg.22446$cz3.16250@edtnps82>,
    > Homer J Simpson <> wrote:
    > >
    > ><> wrote in message
    > >
    > >For $100 + S&H ? Hardly.

    > Lowest price on Amazon from their new and used vendors is
    > $155.00. Highest price is $290.
    >
    > At that $100 is a bargain. I'm glad I got mine when it was
    > still in print.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Last time I checked, you can still rent this from Netflix (which most
    everyone here belongs to). What's the big deal?

    , Sep 21, 2006
  10. Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Lowest price on Amazon from their new and used vendors is
    > $155.00. Highest price is $290.
    >
    > At that $100 is a bargain. I'm glad I got mine when it was
    > still in print.

    I'm more interested in his other series, "Hollywood: The Early Years". I
    have a copy on tape but I'd like a copy on DVD.

    Homer J Simpson, Sep 21, 2006
  11. Guest

    Homer J Simpson wrote:

    > I'm more interested in his other series, "Hollywood: The Early Years". I
    > have a copy on tape but I'd like a copy on DVD.

    Since this probably will never be released on DVD (thanks to various
    copy-right regulations), you might as well convert what you have to DVD
    (you won't be the first). Divided and indexed, it will be much more
    useful than those original tapes. The picture quality will never be
    better and how could you ever expect extras in a long documentary like
    "Hollywood"? It's filled with extras already.

    "Cinema Europe" is a worthy addition to "Hollywood," with much
    information on Able Gance, and Hitchcock, just to name two well known
    directors who helped invent the motion picture. Without it, you cannot
    really understand film history. But don't pay hundreds of dollars for
    something that you can rent.

    , Sep 22, 2006
  12. Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Last time I checked, you can still rent this from Netflix (which most
    > everyone here belongs to). What's the big deal?

    As one of those who doesn't, may I ask whether Netflix has other
    laserdiscs too?

    --
    Charles Hohenstein
    To reply, remove Gene Robinson

    Charles Hohenstein, Sep 22, 2006
  13. gerry Guest

    Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    I think Brownlow and Gill's 13 part "Hollywood" series will eventually
    be released on DVD. As to the picture quality being better from an old
    source, either tape or laserdisc, than on any new DVD release, IMHO I
    doubt that. The HBO videotapes of this series probably have Macrovison
    copy protection, so you cannot feed the video directly into a DVD
    recorder, you need a unit like the Sima or Grex to clean the VBI. As
    to using a laserdisc source to make DVD-Rs, I did that, a time
    consuming project done because laserdiscs do not last forever.

    Lucasfilms just released DVDs of the first three Star Wars movies in
    their original form, using laser masters as the source for the DVDs.
    Reviews of these DVDs indicate that the video quality is better than
    that of bootleg recordings, altough the reviewers complain that
    Lucasfilms should have made anamorphic DVDs of these widescreen movies.

    Using digital processing methods available now, any production company
    transferring "Hollywood" to DVD could do a far better job of it than
    someone using an old Pioneer laserdisc player and a Panasonic consumer
    DVD recorder.

    There may be problems getting clearance for some of the film clips in
    "Hollywood," but I think the bigger problem is the cost of digital
    restoration to do a first rate job. The BBC is now a pinchpenny outfit
    that is more interested in releasing another series of Dr. Who
    episodes. HBO Films concentrates on releasing its own major cable
    productions. Thames Television, that is another company with a film
    library owned by a bigger corporation, but probably has a staff limited
    to accounts receivable.

    In other words, there is no money to be made on low sales volume DVDs
    like "Hollywood" or "Cinema Europe." "Art for art's sake" was MGM's
    motto and MGM now is gone completely. Unless TCM decides to show a
    restored version of "Hollywood" when TCM goes HD, and then release the
    HD version through Warner Bros., this fine documentary series will
    remain in the shadows, with no R1 release for at least another year.

    gerry, Sep 22, 2006
  14. Steve Guest

    On 21 Sep 2006 22:12:42 -0700, "gerry" <> wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > wrote:
    >> Homer J Simpson wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm more interested in his other series, "Hollywood: The Early Years". I
    >> > have a copy on tape but I'd like a copy on DVD.

    >> Since this probably will never be released on DVD (thanks to various
    >> copy-right regulations), you might as well convert what you have to DVD
    >> (you won't be the first). Divided and indexed, it will be much more
    >> useful than those original tapes. The picture quality will never be
    >> better and how could you ever expect extras in a long documentary like
    >> "Hollywood"? It's filled with extras already.
    >>
    >> "Cinema Europe" is a worthy addition to "Hollywood," with much
    >> information on Able Gance, and Hitchcock, just to name two well known
    >> directors who helped invent the motion picture. Without it, you cannot
    >> really understand film history. But don't pay hundreds of dollars for

    Brownlow's "Hollywood" is or will be released in Region2 this year.
    Warner will release it in Region 1 Q1 or Q2 2007. Yes all clearances
    have been secured but it will probably not be remastered since many of
    the interviews were shot in standard PAL and can not be upgraded to
    HD.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Sep 22, 2006
  15. Fred Guest

    Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:23:17 -0400, Steve
    <> wrote:

    >Brownlow's "Hollywood" is or will be released in Region2 this year.
    >Warner will release it in Region 1 Q1 or Q2 2007. Yes all clearances
    >have been secured but it will probably not be remastered since many of
    >the interviews were shot in standard PAL and can not be upgraded to
    >HD.
    >
    >.. Steve ..

    Says...?

    Fred, Sep 22, 2006
  16. Jim Reid Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Brownlow's "Hollywood" is or will be released in Region2 this year.
    > Warner will release it in Region 1 Q1 or Q2 2007. Yes all clearances
    > have been secured but it will probably not be remastered since many of
    > the interviews were shot in standard PAL and can not be upgraded to
    > HD.

    I had the disc pre-ordered from Amazon UK and received an email last
    week that it had been cancelled, not delayed, but cancelled.

    Jim Reid, Sep 23, 2006
  17. Jason Liller Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On 21 Sep 2006 22:12:42 -0700, "gerry" <> wrote:
    >
    > Brownlow's "Hollywood" is or will be released in Region2 this year.
    > Warner will release it in Region 1 Q1 or Q2 2007. Yes all clearances
    > have been secured but it will probably not be remastered since many of
    > the interviews were shot in standard PAL and can not be upgraded to
    > HD.

    How do you know this? I'm tempted to shrug this off, but I already know
    that Warner intends to release several major silents late this year or
    early next. It would make sense for them to release "Hollywood" at the
    same time.

    --Jason Liller

    Jason Liller, Sep 23, 2006
  18. gerry Guest

    Re: "Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood" DVD--rare, OOP

    "Yes all clearances have been secured but it will probably not be
    remastered since many of the interviews were shot in standard PAL and
    can not be upgraded to
    HD."

    If Warners is releasing a DVD of "Hollywood," Warners almost certainly
    will create a digital intermediate master that will not be in either
    PAL or NTSC, but will be stored as terabytes of data. Kevin Brownlow
    has to sign off on any release of "Hollywood." I doubt that he will
    allow the release of any new version that is not in better shape than
    the original release in 1980.

    gerry, Sep 23, 2006
  19. Steve Guest

    On 22 Sep 2006 17:29:24 -0700, "Jim Reid" <> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >> Brownlow's "Hollywood" is or will be released in Region2 this year.
    >> Warner will release it in Region 1 Q1 or Q2 2007. Yes all clearances
    >> have been secured but it will probably not be remastered since many of
    >> the interviews were shot in standard PAL and can not be upgraded to
    >> HD.

    >I had the disc pre-ordered from Amazon UK and received an email last
    >week that it had been cancelled, not delayed, but cancelled.

    Ah, the word was that it HAD been delayed to next year, comensurate
    with the Region 1 release.

    This is in the DVD forums, TCM forums etc, there's quite a bit of
    general buzz about the release of "Hollywood," it's not a "secret
    source."

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Sep 23, 2006
  20. Steve Guest

    On 22 Sep 2006 22:29:57 -0700, "gerry" <> wrote:

    >"Yes all clearances have been secured but it will probably not be
    >remastered since many of the interviews were shot in standard PAL and
    >can not be upgraded to
    >HD."
    >
    >If Warners is releasing a DVD of "Hollywood," Warners almost certainly
    >will create a digital intermediate master that will not be in either
    >PAL or NTSC, but will be stored as terabytes of data. Kevin Brownlow
    >has to sign off on any release of "Hollywood." I doubt that he will
    >allow the release of any new version that is not in better shape than
    >the original release in 1980.

    Well I guess they would try to make HD transfers of the film material,
    for some titles that's already been done for pending DVD release; but
    there's nothing much to do with PAL video except try to upsample,
    create intermediate scan lines etc. It CAN be improved no doubt.
    Ironically the oldest interview segments, such as of Harold Lloyd,
    shot on 16mm, could gain the most from a new master.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Sep 23, 2006