    does the sony 717 require the use of a sony flash or will a sunpack, vivtar or
    metz work in a dedicated manner (assuming proper flash model used).

    peter

    PrincePete01, Jul 17, 2003

  2. PrincePete01

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    ospam says...
    > does the sony 717 require the use of a sony flash or will a sunpack, vivtar or
    > metz work in a dedicated manner (assuming proper flash model used).
    >
    > peter

    If you want TTL, you have to use a Sony flash. If you don't mind setting
    the flash manually, many 3rd party units will work -- just be careful of
    trigger voltage.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Jul 17, 2003

  3. I have the Sony HVL-F1000 flash unit. It works ok and is "dedicated"
    meaning that the in-camera controls operate in conjunction with the
    flash. However, it has rather limited adjustability. I find it to be
    somewhat limited in capability and less useful than I'd hoped. The new
    Sony HVL-F32X looks to be a much more sophisticated, useful flash unit
    with many more options and capabilities. However, it's kind of pricey.

    I suspect I'll fall back on the gold standard of flashes ... The
    Vivitar 283 may not be dedicated to the Sony, but is perhaps the most
    popular and longest lived flash unit on the marketplace. There are a
    ton of accessories and power options for it, it's reasonably powerful
    and has been proven reliable with great usefulness. And it's cheap ...
    $70 for the basic unit.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Jul 17, 2003
  4. PrincePete01

    KD2PM Guest

    I have the 285 and love it. Enjoy using the bounce and zoom features to help
    create new ideas when shooting.

    Have not heard about the F32X. Guess its time to head over to the Sony site
    to check it out

    KD2PM, Jul 19, 2003
  5. PrincePete01

    Toivo Voll Guest

    KD2PM wrote:
    > I have the 285 and love it. Enjoy using the bounce and zoom features to help
    > create new ideas when shooting.
    >
    > Have not heard about the F32X. Guess its time to head over to the Sony site
    > to check it out

    Does anyone know what the guide numbers of the Sony Flashes are? I've been
    trying to find this info for a long time now, and several Sony reps have
    also returned to me and confessed they were unable to get an answer to
    the question...

    Toivo

    Toivo Voll, Jul 22, 2003
  6. On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:30:52 +0000 (UTC), . edu (Toivo
    Voll) wrote:

    >KD2PM wrote:
    >> I have the 285 and love it. Enjoy using the bounce and zoom features to help
    >> create new ideas when shooting.
    >>
    >> Have not heard about the F32X. Guess its time to head over to the Sony site
    >> to check it out

    >Does anyone know what the guide numbers of the Sony Flashes are? I've been
    >trying to find this info for a long time now, and several Sony reps have
    >also returned to me and confessed they were unable to get an answer to
    >the question...
    >
    > Toivo

    The Sony NZ list the F32X as 32 and B&H it list it as 22..???

    I think these are the metric values.

    Multiply by 3.3 to get the Imperial value

    Greg Townsend, Jul 23, 2003
  7. On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:05:36 GMT, Todd Walker <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> does the sony 717 require the use of a sony flash or will a sunpack, vivtar or
    >> metz work in a dedicated manner (assuming proper flash model used).
    >>
    >> peter
    >>

    >If you want TTL, you have to use a Sony flash. If you don't mind setting
    >the flash manually, many 3rd party units will work -- just be careful of
    >trigger voltage.

    The Sony Flashes do not give TTL at all, only the built in one.

    The Ones that have been listed are the SUNPACK 383, VIVITAR 285HV, QUANTARAY
    QTB 950A, Promaster 5750 DX, and the range of Metz that use the SCA3602 M2
    adapter.

    Metz flashes here are very dear.

    So far only the Metz & Sony are available here.

    A new Sony one has been mentioned, the F2000

    Greg Townsend, Jul 23, 2003