    floppy drives?

    Is there a way to do this with a CD with
    drivers since I do not have a floppy?
    =?Utf-8?B?bHVrYXN3YXJl?=, Feb 16, 2006

  2. (I searched for F6 and SATA on this
    forum before I posted...and found nothing. )

    =?Utf-8?B?bHVrYXN3YXJl?=, Feb 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bHVrYXN3YXJl?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Buy a floppy, plug it in when you need it and store it when you don't.

    John Barnes, Feb 16, 2006
  4. See my blog for some details about F6 and drivers, but to answer your
    complaint about still needing a floppy to load drivers. Yes, it's a PITA.
    And it will be gone in Vista. But keep in mind that this all happens at an
    extremely early level of the boot process, and it's an area of code that has
    worked like this since the first shipment of Windows NT. Changing it risks
    breaking other things. Given that x64 Editions shipped as part of a Service
    Pack cycle, there were limits to where MS was willing to make changes. A
    full new release, such as Vista/Longhorn, is a more appropriate place to
    make this kind of change.

    The real cause of this is that most motherboard mfgs aren't shipping pure
    SATA controllers, but combining them with RAID functionality. That means,
    unfortunately, that they're going to need F6 drivers. There are a few
    machines out there that don't have RAID tied to the SATA controller, and
    those work without drivers. (Dell, for one, on their workstations.)

    The going price of a floppy drive is about $15 (USD). Or, buy a USB one, and
    you'll have it whenever you need it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64