    for all uses).
    --

    Monroe

    Monroe, Mar 12, 2006

  2. Monroe

    DHB Guest

    On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:50:12 GMT, Monroe <> wrote:

    >Been away from the scene for a bit. Last noted that the Fuji F10 gave
    >incredible low/existing light performance for a compact. I remember
    >some degree of higher ISO peformance. I've viewed some stunning
    >photos taken with that camera.

    This last X_Xmas I purchased a FUJI F10 for my mother & I
    agree that the low light picture quality is surprisingly good.
    Indoors with flash it uses ISO=800. The flash can be turned off but
    for mom, simplicity is a must so she uses it on full auto.

    >How does the current crop compare?

    The newly announced FUJI F30 seems to build on the F10's
    qualities which are limited to an ISO=1600, but the F30's top limit is
    ISO=3200! Additionally it has considerably more new features as well,
    read more here if interested:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fuji_02142006_f30_pr.html

    >I'm looking for a similar compact camera suitable for existing
    >light/indoor photos.

    This might be the best option for your needs.

    > The one negative (for my use) is that the F10 did not have an optical
    > viewfinder (still don't really like the LCD's for all uses).

    Here I tend to agree with you especially when used outdoors on
    bright sunny days. But there is a potential work-around to this
    problem too. It's not a perfect solution but it's very likely what I
    will be getting for mine because I really like mom's F10 but need more
    user controls, so the F30 seems like it will be a great alternative to
    my DSLR when I want to travel light but still want reasonably nice low
    light pictures. Anyway here is the potential work-around:

    http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_pop_up_shade_stickon_mini.html

    B&H sells this device & is expecting the FUJI F30 to be
    available some time MAY of 2006 For about $400 USD.

    Hope this helps you decide what you want. Like I said I'm not
    a huge fan of using an LCD to frame a picture in "all" situations
    either but with my Canon A95 which has a swivel LCD, there is no way I
    could have framed some odd angled shots without it, so it can be a
    plus. The choice is yours, however I suspect that other camera
    manufactures will not want to loose out on this growing segment of the
    market & will eventually have quality offerings of their own but for
    now it seems much like a 1 hoarse race in the low light P&S field!

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Mar 13, 2006