    this camera to get more f/stop flexibility in order to achieve greater
    depth of field.

    Thanks for your advice.
    Buttons, Feb 11, 2007

  2. Buttons

    thehick Guest

    On Feb 10, 8:57 pm, "Buttons" <> wrote:
    > I'm taking a beginning digital photog class, and one of the
    > assignments calls for taking the same shot with different f/stop
    > settings. On the Exilim Z750, the f/stop settings appear based on the
    > zoom used, and are limited: for example, 2.8 or 4. I'm told the
    > difference between these two settings is only a partial, rather than a
    > full, f/stop setting, and I'm wondering whether it's possible with
    > this camera to get more f/stop flexibility in order to achieve greater
    > depth of field.

    No. I have the Z600 model so this post piqued my interest.
    You can only use the F-stops available. Like you said.
    And with the tiny sensor they are using, your DOF is huge
    already. For my liking, way too big.

    A side note is that "digital" courses and books look
    to me to be just old-time "film" courses and books
    with the modern term "digital" thrown in. They really
    don't cover any of the changes that digital photography
    has brought to the mainstream. And they obviously
    ignore the simple fact that old-time SLRs had quite
    a range of DOF available that P&S cameras will
    never have.

    anyway, if you're taking a beginner course, i hope
    you'll learn a lot about general photography. which
    is a lot better than not.
    ....thehick
    thehick, Feb 11, 2007

  3. Buttons

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 10 Feb 2007 18:25:49 -0800, "thehick" <> wrote:

    >On Feb 10, 8:57 pm, "Buttons" <> wrote:
    >> I'm taking a beginning digital photog class, and one of the
    >> assignments calls for taking the same shot with different f/stop
    >> settings. On the Exilim Z750, the f/stop settings appear based on the
    >> zoom used, and are limited: for example, 2.8 or 4. I'm told the
    >> difference between these two settings is only a partial, rather than a
    >> full, f/stop setting, and I'm wondering whether it's possible with
    >> this camera to get more f/stop flexibility in order to achieve greater
    >> depth of field.

    >No. I have the Z600 model so this post piqued my interest.
    >You can only use the F-stops available. Like you said.
    >And with the tiny sensor they are using, your DOF is huge
    >already. For my liking, way too big.
    >
    >A side note is that "digital" courses and books look
    >to me to be just old-time "film" courses and books
    >with the modern term "digital" thrown in. They really
    >don't cover any of the changes that digital photography
    >has brought to the mainstream. And they obviously
    >ignore the simple fact that old-time SLRs had quite
    >a range of DOF available that P&S cameras will
    >never have.

    Never played with the long end macro range on the FZ7, have you?

    J. Clarke, Feb 11, 2007
  4. "Buttons" <> wrote in message
    > I'm taking a beginning digital photog class, and one of the
    > assignments calls for taking the same shot with different f/stop
    > settings. On the Exilim Z750, the f/stop settings appear based on the
    > zoom used, and are limited: for example, 2.8 or 4. I'm told the
    > difference between these two settings is only a partial, rather than a
    > full, f/stop setting, and I'm wondering whether it's possible with
    > this camera to get more f/stop flexibility in order to achieve greater
    > depth of field.
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.

    There IS a full stop from f/2.8 to f/4.

    The problem with tiny-sensor P&S cameras of course is that f/2.8 generally
    gives REALLY BIG depth of field, while f/4 gives REALLY REALLY BIG depth of
    field. Anything over f/4 tends to give diffraction so are usually not even
    available. OK, they may give you f/8 but by then you pretty much have
    everything from your nosehairs to infinity in focus.

    So, such cameras don't exactly lend themselves to learning about the effects
    of aperture upon depth of field, or about the creative possibilities shallow
    depth of field gives :)

    (Now, a DSLR with a dirt-cheap 50mm f/1.8... that's something different
    altogether. Eyes sharp, fuzzy ears. Bigger is actually better, sometimes.)

    Depth of field decreases the closer you are to the subject. To make the most
    of the limited aperture control your Casio gives you, shoot something small
    that is quite close up (a setup of porcelain figurines at different
    distances to the camera, or something along those lines)... we may even be
    talking macro here. You should be able to get a visible difference between
    f/2.8 and f/4.
    Ståle Sannerud, Feb 12, 2007