  1. Bluesplayer

    Bluesplayer Guest

    Does anybody have it ?

    Bluesplayer, Aug 11, 2008

  2. Bluesplayer

    Guest

    On 11 Aug, 14:43, Tee Jay <> wrote:
    > Bluesplayer wrote:
    > > Does anybody have it ?

    > XP? Boot from cd and use partitioning to invoke fdisk. (or repair for
    > command line interface)
    > Tee Jay

    nonsense.

    Let's break down your response here

    > XP? Boot from cd and use partitioning to invoke fdisk. (or repair for
    > command line interface)
    > Tee Jay

    > XP?

    where is XP? up your ass?

    > Boot from cd

    what cd? windows xp? windows 98?

    say you meant windows 98. boot into what? windows 98 setup?

    a win98 cd probably lets you boot to DOS so that would do it, but most
    people don't still have a win98 cd.

    >and use partitioning to invoke fdisk.

    no deary, it doesn't work like that

    fdisk is the program that does the partitioning. Partitioning is a
    concept, not something that is "invoked".
    The only thing that invokes it is the operating system, when you type
    FDISK and hit ENTER.

    > (or repair for
    > command line interface)

    I think you're trying to say something about a Windows XP repair from
    the recovery console FDISK IS NOT IN THAT ANYWAY.

    It is on a windows 98 dos floppy boot disk. (win98 uses DOS 7, as
    oppose to eg 6.22)

    one way, is if he has a floppy disk drive, he can get this boot98c.exe
    file from www.bootdisk.com, which stores the file here,
    http://files.frashii.com/~bootdisk/tennessee/boot98c.exe
    That puts fdisk.exe and other files and a boot record, on a floppy
    disk.
    So you can boot off of it it loads dos and you can run fdisk.

    there are one or two interesting related things here, i'll do a more
    complete explanation.

    Note- fdisk is not necessary.. and not even a good idea for certain
    cases of more than one NTFS partition on a hard disk. It has issues
    deleting them, and you wouldn't want to delete the wrong one.

    A windows XP setup cd does let you create or remove partitions. It's
    not fdisk but it does the same thing. and doesn't have any issue with
    NTFS.

    , Aug 12, 2008

  3. Bluesplayer

    Guest

    Re: Fdisk <-- that's right, no space

    On Aug 11, 5:36 am, Bluesplayer <> wrote:
    > Does anybody have it ?

    thread: some tips regarding www.bootdisk. and no floppy drives, and
    images
    ng: alt.computer
    date- Aug 2008
    (mentions what to do if you don't have a floppy drive)

    It's on boot98c.exe

    this link
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    then windows 98 custom, see, boot98c.exe
    that site stores the file here
    http://files.frashii.com/~bootdisk/tennessee/boot98c.exe

    short answer - Mentioned in more detail in that thread. One thing you
    can do if you don't have a floppy drive is use file (also available on
    www.bootdisk.com)
    http://s93616405.onlinehome.us/bootdisk/win98c.zip
    that gives an image file, and a program - firm.com , to burn it to a
    floppy(rawrite may be better). You can also use winimage. to extract
    it. Extract it anywhere. Get fdisk.exe that you are looking for.

    another thing you could do is google inurl:index.of fdisk.exe
    currently safe, for dos boot disk files anyway! and prob for most or
    all things.. Currently, and not theoretically. In theory it could be
    problematic in terms of malware.
    I saw a similar method mentioned from a site from stumbleupon , topic
    searching for music!

    , Aug 12, 2008
  4. Bluesplayer

    Guest

    On 17 Aug, 12:33, Tee Jay <> wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    > > Isnt that what TJ said in not so may words?????

    > > He just didn't mention that it can be obtained from the 98 CD but that is
    > > the correct method for partition from XP CD (as you stated yourself has the
    > > same effect as fdisk for NTFS)

    > > <> wrote in message
    > >> XP? Boot from cd and use partitioning to invoke fdisk. (or repair for
    > >> command line interface)
    > >>                Tee Jay

    > > nonsense.

    > > Let's break down your response here

    > Thank you. I wasn't being a fool. I try to answer the ones that I think
    > I know. I try to keep it short and on point. James seemed to take
    > umbrage at my answer but I was trying to guide original poster to a
    > solution. OP was woefully short on details and I was filling in with
    > most common possible answer.
    >                   Tee Jay-

    Your 1/2 line response, had many faults.. But mainly, the OP asked a
    simple question in one line. Where he can obtain fdisk, and you
    suggested that it was in XP. Or misled people into thinking it is. It
    isn't.
    You even let him remain thinking that it was "f disk" !! written with
    a space, so he would have had even more trouble finding it!

    Indeed, in my response, I mentioned that one can partition a computer
    within XP, but as a secondary point. His question was where he can
    obtain fdisk.

    Many wouldn't have a windows 98 CD lying around anyway..

    , Aug 17, 2008