    Any thoughts? This has been confusing me for a while...

    thanks,

    brian
    Brian Huether, May 22, 2005

  2. "Brian Huether" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am very confused about something. On the ezprints site, they claim
    >you can make outstanding 16x20 prints with 4 MP. That corresponds to
    >a little over 100 PPI (pixels per inch). How can anyone claim that
    >the 100PPI ballpark gives outstanding prints?

    Lowering ones standards improves the output quality ;-)

    > Furthermore, my understanding is that they automatically upsample to
    > 300 DPI. So if I were to upload an image that is around 100 DPI,
    > they would upsample it to 300 DPI, which I am sure would cause all
    > sorts of artifacts.

    Maybe, but it sure won't get higher resolution.

    > So should I upload my images as is, or should I just enlarge them to
    > 300 DPI in Qimage, since the Qimage upsampling is probably better
    > than ehatever process ezprints uses.

    Yes, that's why you can "Print to File". I don't know what method
    ezprints use (some printers have excellent software interpolation),
    but Qimage's results are hard to meet, or even beat.

    > Any thoughts? This has been confusing me for a while...

    You could always crop a file (to 100ppi at the chosen output size) and
    have a small enlargement made (e.g. 5x7in shouldn't cost too much)
    with the crop and with a Qimage printfile of the crop at 300ppi.

    Bart
    Bart van der Wolf, May 22, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    "Brian Huether" <> wrote:

    > I am very confused about something. On the ezprints site, they claim you can
    > make outstanding 16x20 prints with 4 MP. That corresponds to a little over
    > 100 PPI (pixels per inch). How can anyone claim that the 100PPI ballpark
    > gives outstanding prints? Furthermore, my understanding is that they
    > automatically upsample to 300 DPI. So if I were to upload an image that is
    > around 100 DPI, they would upsample it to 300 DPI, which I am sure would
    > cause all sorts of artifacts. So should I upload my images as is, or should
    > I just enlarge them to 300 DPI in Qimage, since the Qimage upsampling is
    > probably better than ehatever process ezprints uses.
    >
    > Any thoughts? This has been confusing me for a while...
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > brian

    It's not pixels per inch that you need, it's pixels per angular degree
    from the viewing point. 100 dpi is sharp enough from more than 2 feet
    away, which is how a poster is typically viewed. 4MP is almost always
    plenty for any sized photo when taking into account the varying viewing
    distance. An exception would be a very large poster in a hallway that
    is viewed up close as a panorama. That's where you need the $$$$$
    cameras.

    Yes, photo printers resample. It does not cause visible artifacts.
    Upload your photo with its native pixel dimensions for best results.

    How's EZP's quality? Last time I saw their large prints, there were
    very strong colored bands in skies. It looked like the color
    calibration was way off.
    Kevin McMurtrie, May 22, 2005