EZCool Power Supply - HDD/DVD lights

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mark, Feb 27, 2009.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi all,

    wondering if this is a fault, something that can be optionally changed or
    whether it's normal behaviour and cannnot be changed....

    Basically the Mother in Law has had her computer power supply upgraded to an
    EZ Cool one (Sorry don't know exactly which one - but may be able to find
    out)

    Since the new PSU has been in, both the HDD and the DVD activity lights
    remain illuminated after the computer has been shut down. She's not too
    happy with this and wonders if it can be rectified or whether this is normal
    behaviour. As far as I know the lights' behaviour when the computer is on
    is normal.

    I've been trying to find a manufacturers website for EZCool without success
    yet and would have put the question to them - therefore if any of you know a
    good link to the manufacturer website that would be good too.

    I guess if there's no better solution then she'll have to switch it off at
    the mains once shutdown is complete.

    Regards,

    Mark
    Mark, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Mark wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > wondering if this is a fault, something that can be optionally changed or
    > whether it's normal behaviour and cannnot be changed....
    >
    > Basically the Mother in Law has had her computer power supply upgraded to
    > an EZ Cool one (Sorry don't know exactly which one - but may be able to
    > find out)
    >
    > Since the new PSU has been in, both the HDD and the DVD activity lights
    > remain illuminated after the computer has been shut down. She's not too
    > happy with this and wonders if it can be rectified or whether this is
    > normal
    > behaviour. As far as I know the lights' behaviour when the computer is on
    > is normal.

    I *assume* these lights are indeed the "power" led and the dvd "power"
    or "online" led and there may be a 2nd led flickering on true activity.

    However .... they should definately _not_ remain on when the computer is
    shutdown. Perhaps the computer just goes to standby only.
    Depending upon the OS, there will be a true "shutdown" option to try.

    Any ways, to save energy, best solution is a switchable powerbar.
    I have my broadband modem, the router, printer (a cheap laser, not
    recommended for inkjets), some other powerbrick and the computer on such
    a powerbar and I do turn it off at times.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 27, 2009

  3. Mark

    chuckcar Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > wondering if this is a fault, something that can be optionally changed
    > or whether it's normal behaviour and cannnot be changed....
    >
    > Basically the Mother in Law has had her computer power supply upgraded
    > to an EZ Cool one (Sorry don't know exactly which one - but may be able
    > to find out)
    >
    > Since the new PSU has been in, both the HDD and the DVD activity lights
    > remain illuminated after the computer has been shut down. She's not too
    > happy with this and wonders if it can be rectified or whether this is
    > normal behaviour. As far as I know the lights' behaviour when the
    > computer is on is normal.
    >
    > I've been trying to find a manufacturers website for EZCool without
    > success yet and would have put the question to them - therefore if any
    > of you know a good link to the manufacturer website that would be good
    > too.
    >
    > I guess if there's no better solution then she'll have to switch it off
    > at the mains once shutdown is complete.

    Are you *absolutely* sure that she is shutting down windows and not just
    letting the computer go into standby?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Feb 28, 2009
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "wisdomkiller & pain" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> wondering if this is a fault, something that can be optionally changed or
    >> whether it's normal behaviour and cannnot be changed....
    >>
    >> Basically the Mother in Law has had her computer power supply upgraded to
    >> an EZ Cool one (Sorry don't know exactly which one - but may be able to
    >> find out)
    >>
    >> Since the new PSU has been in, both the HDD and the DVD activity lights
    >> remain illuminated after the computer has been shut down. She's not too
    >> happy with this and wonders if it can be rectified or whether this is
    >> normal
    >> behaviour. As far as I know the lights' behaviour when the computer is
    >> on
    >> is normal.
    >>

    > I *assume* these lights are indeed the "power" led and the dvd "power"
    > or "online" led and there may be a 2nd led flickering on true activity.
    >
    > However .... they should definately _not_ remain on when the computer is
    > shutdown. Perhaps the computer just goes to standby only.
    > Depending upon the OS, there will be a true "shutdown" option to try.
    >
    > Any ways, to save energy, best solution is a switchable powerbar.
    > I have my broadband modem, the router, printer (a cheap laser, not
    > recommended for inkjets), some other powerbrick and the computer on such
    > a powerbar and I do turn it off at times.

    Thanks for your response wisdomkiller & pain. Sounds quite feasible but I
    cannot confirm which lights as I live several hours away. I'm trying to get
    the Mother in Law to start using newsgroups then maybe she could answer any
    questions and give more detail. In the mean time I'll pass your response on
    to her.

    As for switchable powerbar - I may consider that for my computer. However I
    have to ask as I have one - why is this not recommended for inkjet printers?
    Thanks again for your assistance,

    Mark
    Mark, Feb 28, 2009
  5. Mark wrote:

    > As for switchable powerbar - I may consider that for my computer. However
    > I have to ask as I have one - why is this not recommended for inkjet
    > printers? Thanks again for your assistance,

    Many inkjet printers do a full initializing/rinsing after a power
    disconnection, which wastes lots of ink.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 28, 2009
  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Basically the Mother in Law has had her computer power supply upgraded
    >> to an EZ Cool one (Sorry don't know exactly which one - but may be able
    >> to find out)
    >>
    >> Since the new PSU has been in, both the HDD and the DVD activity lights
    >> remain illuminated after the computer has been shut down.

    > Are you *absolutely* sure that she is shutting down windows and not just
    > letting the computer go into standby?
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    It's a possibility - but I live too far away to check, but I'll pass on your
    response to her.

    Thank you for your time

    Mark
    Mark, Mar 1, 2009