    does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
    vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?

    thanks
    sammy, Jul 4, 2007

  2. sammy

    sammy Guest

    "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    news:468b83ad$0$30605$...
    > hi,
    >
    > was just using task manager just to see how things were working and what
    > was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just do it
    > periodically).
    >
    > anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently. system idle
    > process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
    >
    > i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is part of the
    > zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but when i
    > switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall came with it.
    >
    > does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
    > vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
    >
    > thanks

    my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm using "add or
    remove programs" in the control panel.

    i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall up and
    running.

    thanks
    sammy, Jul 4, 2007

  3. sammy

    > "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> was just using task manager just to see how things were working and what
    >> was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just do it
    >> periodically).
    >>
    >> anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently. system idle
    >> process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
    >>
    >> i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is part of the
    >> zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but when i
    >> switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall came with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
    >> vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm using "add
    > or remove programs" in the control panel.
    >
    > i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall up and
    > running.
    >
    > thanks

    arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a hint
    about what to do or not do.

    here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\repair

    notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.

    am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable under some
    agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?

    i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems with
    himself since at this point.

    They're coming to take me away, HA HA
    They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
    To the funny farm
    Where life is beautiful all the time
    And I'll be happy to see
    Those nice, young men
    In their clean, white coats
    And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!

    don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a little nap
    is all i need.
    sammy, Jul 4, 2007
  4. sammy wrote:
    > "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    >
    >>"sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>hi,
    >>>
    >>>was just using task manager just to see how things were working and what
    >>>was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just do it
    >>>periodically).
    >>>
    >>>anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently. system idle
    >>>process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
    >>>
    >>>i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is part of the
    >>>zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but when i
    >>>switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall came with
    >>>it.
    >>>
    >>>does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does not use
    >>>vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>>

    >>my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm using "add
    >>or remove programs" in the control panel.
    >>
    >>i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall up and
    >>running.
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>

    > arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a hint
    > about what to do or not do.
    >
    > here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\repair
    >
    > notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.
    >
    > am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable under some
    > agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?
    >
    > i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems with
    > himself since at this point.
    >
    > They're coming to take me away, HA HA
    > They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
    > To the funny farm
    > Where life is beautiful all the time
    > And I'll be happy to see
    > Those nice, young men
    > In their clean, white coats
    > And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
    >
    > don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a little nap
    > is all i need

    Take a Valuam, it'll be okay. The file you describe is part of EZ, NOT
    ZoneAlarm.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 4, 2007
  5. Rôgêr wrote:

    > sammy wrote:

    It should only do that if something is trying to use it. Do you have a
    router? If not, it is taking the brunt of all the scanning coming down
    your pipe.

    RoadRunner isn't DSL. :)

    > Take a Valuam, it'll be okay. The file you describe is part of EZ, NOT
    > ZoneAlarm.

    EZ Trust uses the rebadged ZoneAlarm firewall. So yes, you will see
    ZoneAlarm parts running.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 4, 2007
  6. sammy

    Premier Guest

    4/07/2007 10:16:23 PM
    sammy <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    <468b8eb4$0$20574$>

    > "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "sammy" <sammy@toast> wrote in message
    > >> hi,
    > >>
    > >> was just using task manager just to see how things were working

    and what
    > >> was using the cpu (no slowdown problems prompted this - i just

    do it
    > >> periodically).
    > >>
    > >> anyway, vsmon.exe is popping from 1% to 15% intermittently.

    system idle
    > >> process bouncing from high 80s to high 90s.
    > >>
    > >> i poke around looking for what vsmon.exe is and i find it is

    part of the
    > >> zonealarm firewall. i used to use the zonealarm firewall but

    when i
    > >> switched to bright house and roadrunner for dsl, EZ Firewall

    came with
    > >> it.
    > >>
    > >> does EZ Firewall use Zonealarms vsmon.exe? if EZ Firewall does

    not use
    > >> vsmon.exe, can i, should i get rid of vsmon.exe?
    > >>
    > >> thanks
    > >>

    > > my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm

    using "add
    > > or remove programs" in the control panel.
    > >
    > > i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall

    up and
    > > running.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >

    > arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a

    hint
    > about what to do or not do.
    >
    > here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ

    Firewall\repair

    > notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.
    >
    > am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable

    under some
    > agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?
    >
    > i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems

    with
    > himself since at this point.
    >
    > They're coming to take me away, HA HA
    > They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
    > To the funny farm
    > Where life is beautiful all the time
    > And I'll be happy to see
    > Those nice, young men
    > In their clean, white coats
    > And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
    >
    > don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a

    little nap
    > is all i need.

    Zone Alarm True Vector service. Essential core component of the Zone
    Alarm Internet firewall program. This task will be seen on PCs
    running either Zone Alarm or Computer Associates’ eTrust Internet
    Security as, at the time of writing, 11-Jan-2006, the Computer
    Associates Personal Firewall is based around the Zone Alarm firewall
    program. This program is started via the registry in Windows 9x/ME,
    and as a service in Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003. This program enforces
    the security rules which you configured on the Zone Alarm / eTrust
    Personal Firewall screens.

    Recommendation :
    Essential to the proper running of Zone Alarm / eTrust Personal
    Firewall – Leave well alone.
    --
    Composed with Newz Crawler 1.8 http://www.newzcrawler.com/
    Premier, Jul 4, 2007
  7. sammy

    sammy Guest

    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> sammy wrote:

    > It should only do that if something is trying to use it. Do you have a
    > router? If not, it is taking the brunt of all the scanning coming down
    > your pipe.

    > RoadRunner isn't DSL. :)

    ok, it's not dsl, is it. i think i even knew that somewhere in my fogbound
    mind. so what do we call it? just high
    speed broadband? my god! is there no acronym? what are we gonna do?
    sammy, Jul 4, 2007
  8. sammy

    sammy Guest

    > and what

    > do it

    > system idle

    > part of the

    > when i

    > came with

    > not use

    >> > my apologies. i should have also told you i deleted Zonealarm

    > using "add
    >> > or remove programs" in the control panel.
    >> >
    >> > i cannot remember if i did this before of after i had EZ Firewall

    > up and
    >> > running.
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> >

    >> arghhhh. i figured the file location for vsmon.exe would give me a

    > hint
    >> about what to do or not do.
    >>
    >> here's where i found it: Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ

    > Firewall\repair
    >>
    >> notice it doesn't say a goddam thing about Zonealarm.
    >>
    >> am i correct in assuming the EZ Firewall just uses the executable

    > under some
    >> agreement with Zonealarm and i should just leave well enough alone?
    >>
    >> i feel like a guy in a rubber room just talking out his problems

    > with
    >> himself since at this point.
    >>
    >> They're coming to take me away, HA HA
    >> They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
    >> To the funny farm
    >> Where life is beautiful all the time
    >> And I'll be happy to see
    >> Those nice, young men
    >> In their clean, white coats
    >> And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!
    >>
    >> don't worry. i'll be ok, i think. just a touch of thorazine and a

    > little nap
    >> is all i need.

    > Zone Alarm True Vector service. Essential core component of the Zone
    > Alarm Internet firewall program. This task will be seen on PCs
    > running either Zone Alarm or Computer Associates' eTrust Internet
    > Security as, at the time of writing, 11-Jan-2006, the Computer
    > Associates Personal Firewall is based around the Zone Alarm firewall
    > program. This program is started via the registry in Windows 9x/ME,
    > and as a service in Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003. This program enforces
    > the security rules which you configured on the Zone Alarm / eTrust
    > Personal Firewall screens.
    >
    > Recommendation :
    > Essential to the proper running of Zone Alarm / eTrust Personal
    > Firewall - Leave well alone.
    > --
    > Composed with Newz Crawler 1.8 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

    laissez-faire? no problem. i shall let it be.

    thanks you guys.
    sammy, Jul 4, 2007
  9. sammy wrote:

> [...]

    (Actually, EZ is an option you have to subscribe to... I never
    bothered.)

    >> RoadRunner isn't DSL. :)

    > ok, it's not dsl, is it. i think i even knew that somewhere in my
    > fogbound mind. so what do we call it? just high speed broadband? my
    > god!

    You could call it ... "cable internet"

    > is there no acronym? what are we gonna do?

    Need an acronym? Try: CBL ?
    though a lot of folks may not know what that means. I have RoadRunner
    for ten years, and I just call it "cable."

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 4, 2007
  10. sammy

    Mike Easter Guest

    sammy wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"

    >> RoadRunner isn't DSL. :)

    > ok, it's not dsl, is it. i think i even knew that somewhere in my
    > fogbound mind. so what do we call it? just high
    > speed broadband? my god! is there no acronym? what are we gonna do?

    A cable modem isn't even actually a 'modem' [modulator demodulator] but
    instead it is a network bridge. So, really it is better to just call it
    'cable'.

    If you are crazy for acronyms, the most appropriate would be DOCSIS for
    the standards for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications -
    which are different in the US than Europe than Japan.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 4, 2007