    other advice?

    Thanks,

    Trey
    Trey, Nov 7, 2006

  2. Trey

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Trey" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top
    > of
    > a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep it,
    > but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with photoshop,
    > but its not me, and so I don't really have any other pictures to go
    > with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool I could download
    > that can do it automatically or anything (I know they make red-eye
    > reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or do you all have any
    > other advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Trey

    Well, if they are still around, see if you can get a picture of the
    one that was napping ... I mean had their eyes closed under
    similar light conditions (and direction). Copy their eyes from
    the new picture into the old one - with a bit of work it should
    work fairly well (see how the clone tool works) -- for a close
    up, it ain't gonna work very well, but if they are off a ways, it
    should work fine (or find someone else with the same eyes and
    "borrow" their eyes !)

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Trey

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    This is no help for your immediate problem but it happens to me so many
    times that I always take at least two shots. It's amazing how Murphy's law
    works so well.

    Ed Mullikin, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Trey

    Mark² Guest

    Trey wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top
    > of a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep
    > it, but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with
    > photoshop, but its not me, and so I don't really have any other
    > pictures to go with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool
    > I could download that can do it automatically or anything (I know
    > they make red-eye reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or
    > do you all have any other advice?

    My advice is to stick with reality...and live with it.
    Painting in someone's eyeball will look freaky at best...
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Nov 7, 2006
  5. Trey

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "Trey" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top of
    > a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep it,
    > but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with photoshop,
    > but its not me, and so I don't really have any other pictures to go
    > with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool I could download
    > that can do it automatically or anything (I know they make red-eye
    > reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or do you all have any
    > other advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Trey

    Possibly cut & paste their entire head?

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Nov 7, 2006
  6. Trey

    timeOday Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Trey wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top
    >>of a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep
    >>it, but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with
    >>photoshop, but its not me, and so I don't really have any other
    >>pictures to go with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool
    >>I could download that can do it automatically or anything (I know
    >>they make red-eye reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or
    >>do you all have any other advice?

    > My advice is to stick with reality...and live with it.
    > Painting in someone's eyeball will look freaky at best...

    Agreed. I have a portrait of my own family, in which the photographer
    did us a favor by replacing my half-closed eye with a mirror image of my
    other eye. I hate that picture, it just doesn't look like me.

    You'll just have to climb up there again :)
    timeOday, Nov 7, 2006
  7. Trey

    Guest

    Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > This is no help for your immediate problem but it happens to me so many
    > times that I always take at least two shots. It's amazing how Murphy's law
    > works so well.

    Same here. When I do a group shot, I take multiple shots. I also find
    that people smile more naturally after they think the shoot is over, so
    I will take a second shot right after the first.For a large group, I
    usually take 6-8 shots and then pick the one with best collection of
    faces.

    I also try to make sure that nobody is hiding. I tooksome shots at my
    nephew's graduation, and one was of two people together. Each one was
    nice in one shot, but not both of them at the same time. So, I merged
    the two good shots together. Since they both posed for the shot, and
    they both came out good, they never realized I edited it.
    , Nov 7, 2006
  8. Trey

    Marvin Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:

    > "Trey" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top of
    >> a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep it,
    >> but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with photoshop,
    >> but its not me, and so I don't really have any other pictures to go
    >> with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool I could download
    >> that can do it automatically or anything (I know they make red-eye
    >> reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or do you all have any
    >> other advice?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Trey

    > Well, if they are still around, see if you can get a picture of the
    > one that was napping ... I mean had their eyes closed under
    > similar light conditions (and direction). Copy their eyes from
    > the new picture into the old one - with a bit of work it should
    > work fairly well (see how the clone tool works) -- for a close
    > up, it ain't gonna work very well, but if they are off a ways, it
    > should work fine (or find someone else with the same eyes and
    > "borrow" their eyes !)
    >
    > mikey

    I did that once in a picture of my three daughters. I
    copied the eyes of one to replace the closed eyes of
    another. I thought I did a great job, but all three
    daughters immediately noticed the change.
    Marvin, Nov 7, 2006
  9. Trey

    Jeff Guest

    timeOday wrote:

    > Agreed. I have a portrait of my own family, in which the photographer
    > did us a favor by replacing my half-closed eye with a mirror image of my
    > other eye. I hate that picture, it just doesn't look like me.
    >
    > You'll just have to climb up there again :)

    Sunglasses? No need for eyes plus he'll look cool :)

    Jeff
    Jeff, Nov 7, 2006
  10. "Trey" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top of
    > a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep it,
    > but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with photoshop,
    > but its not me, and so I don't really have any other pictures to go
    > with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool I could download
    > that can do it automatically or anything (I know they make red-eye
    > reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or do you all have any
    > other advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Trey

    Taking a leak and having one's eyes closed is natural. If you somehow
    manage to "correct" for this it's gonna be weird. I'd go as far as saying
    nobody will want to be alone on a mountain top with him again.

    mark_
    mark_digital©, Nov 7, 2006
  11. Trey

    Mark² Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >>
    >> "Trey" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on
    >>> top of a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like
    >>> to keep it, but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it
    >>> with photoshop, but its not me, and so I don't really have any
    >>> other pictures to go with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there
    >>> a tool I could download that can do it automatically or anything (I
    >>> know they make red-eye reducing tools, so I thought there might
    >>> be)? Or do you all have any other advice?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Trey

    >> Well, if they are still around, see if you can get a picture of the
    >> one that was napping ... I mean had their eyes closed under
    >> similar light conditions (and direction). Copy their eyes from
    >> the new picture into the old one - with a bit of work it should
    >> work fairly well (see how the clone tool works) -- for a close
    >> up, it ain't gonna work very well, but if they are off a ways, it
    >> should work fine (or find someone else with the same eyes and
    >> "borrow" their eyes !)
    >>
    >> mikey
    >>

    > I did that once in a picture of my three daughters. I
    > copied the eyes of one to replace the closed eyes of
    > another. I thought I did a great job, but all three
    > daughters immediately noticed the change.

    That's only SLIGHTLY less creepy that the lady in the middle east that had a
    dead lady's face sewn onto hers... Even if it looks "human"...you've still
    got someone else's face. :(
    -They say eyes are the windows to the soul. ...There is NO part of the face
    that we focus more intently on. For that reason, eyes need to stay intact.
    Open...closed...or utterly poked out.

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Nov 8, 2006
  12. In article <rjc4h.10292$>, Mark² < here)@cox..net>
    wrote:

    > Marvin wrote:
    > > Mike Fields wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Trey" <> wrote in message

    > >> Well, if they are still around, see if you can get a picture of the
    > >> one that was napping ... I mean had their eyes closed under
    > >> similar light conditions (and direction). Copy their eyes from
    > >> the new picture into the old one - with a bit of work it should
    > >> work fairly well (see how the clone tool works) -- for a close
    > >> up, it ain't gonna work very well, but if they are off a ways, it
    > >> should work fine (or find someone else with the same eyes and
    > >> "borrow" their eyes !)
    > >>
    > >> mikey
    > >>

    > > I did that once in a picture of my three daughters. I
    > > copied the eyes of one to replace the closed eyes of
    > > another. I thought I did a great job, but all three
    > > daughters immediately noticed the change.

    > That's only SLIGHTLY less creepy that the lady in the middle east that had a
    > dead lady's face sewn onto hers...

    That was France.
    Steve Cutchen, Nov 8, 2006
  13. Trey

    Mark² Guest

    Steve Cutchen wrote:
    > In article <rjc4h.10292$>, Mark² <
    > here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    >> Marvin wrote:

    >>> I did that once in a picture of my three daughters. I
    >>> copied the eyes of one to replace the closed eyes of
    >>> another. I thought I did a great job, but all three
    >>> daughters immediately noticed the change.

    >> That's only SLIGHTLY less creepy that the lady in the middle east
    >> that had a dead lady's face sewn onto hers...

    > That was France.

    Like I said... The Middle East.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Nov 8, 2006
  14. >I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top of
    >a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep it,
    >but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with photoshop,
    >but its not me, and so I don't really have any other pictures to go
    >with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool I could download
    >that can do it automatically or anything (I know they make red-eye
    >reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or do you all have any
    >other advice?

    Too late for this photo, but --- as I just posted in another thread
    --- if you use a tiny bit of flash outdoors when taking pictures of
    people, you can ask the people afterward if everyone saw the flash.
    If everyone did, no one's eyes were closed.

    -Joel

    Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/
    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 8, 2006
  15. Trey

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:48:11 GMT, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
    wrote:

    >>I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top of
    >>a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep it,
    >>but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with photoshop,
    >>but its not me, and so I don't really have any other pictures to go
    >>with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool I could download
    >>that can do it automatically or anything (I know they make red-eye
    >>reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or do you all have any
    >>other advice?

    >Too late for this photo, but --- as I just posted in another thread
    >--- if you use a tiny bit of flash outdoors when taking pictures of
    >people, you can ask the people afterward if everyone saw the flash.
    >If everyone did, no one's eyes were closed.
    >
    >-Joel

    Today, almost everyone shoots digital; it's easy to review the image
    to see if all eyes were open.
    As House says, everyone lies.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Nov 8, 2006
  16. Bill Funk wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:48:11 GMT, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> I've got a photo I took with a bunch of friends the other day on top of
    >>> a nearby mountain. Its a really great photo, and I'd like to keep it,
    >>> but one of us has his eyes closed. I tried fixing it with photoshop,
    >>> but its not me, and so I don't really have any other pictures to go
    >>> with (plus I'm awful at photoshop!). Is there a tool I could download
    >>> that can do it automatically or anything (I know they make red-eye
    >>> reducing tools, so I thought there might be)? Or do you all have any
    >>> other advice?

    >> Too late for this photo, but --- as I just posted in another thread
    >> --- if you use a tiny bit of flash outdoors when taking pictures of
    >> people, you can ask the people afterward if everyone saw the flash.
    >> If everyone did, no one's eyes were closed.

    > Today, almost everyone shoots digital; it's easy to review the image
    > to see if all eyes were open.
    > As House says, everyone lies.

    Not everyone likes to review each image, much less chimp. Dr. J's method
    is a good one.

    --
    John McWilliams

    "Youth is full of sport, age's breath is short; youth is nimble, age is
    lame; Youth is hot and bold, age is weak and cold; Youth is wild, and
    age is tame."
    -- William Shakespeare
    John McWilliams, Nov 8, 2006
  17. Trey

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:54:42 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

    >> Today, almost everyone shoots digital; it's easy to review the image
    >> to see if all eyes were open.
    >> As House says, everyone lies.

    > Not everyone likes to review each image, much less chimp. Dr. J's method
    > is a good one.

    Not everyone likes having their picture taken. Dr. J's method
    relies on cooperation from (to single out one age group) kids that
    would rather be somewhere else. I highly doubt that any pro whose
    livelihood depends on getting the shot would care to rely on such an
    iffy method of determining if any eyes were closed. Some may prefer
    "asking", others may prefer "chimping". I'd rather take two or
    three shots and trust that at least one worked.

    It's not always the photographer that's responsible for chimping.
    If the shots include kids, I've found that they'll often run to the
    camera to see how the shot looks. If anything goes awry, they're
    the ones most likely to happily pose for another shot.
    ASAAR, Nov 8, 2006
  18. Trey

    Leroy Guest

    Or, strap some air horns to your back, set the shot up on a tripod and use a
    remote release. Then just before you take the shot, fire the air horns.
    Bet you don't get anyone with closed eyes then.

    Leroy, Nov 8, 2006
  19. Trey

    Bri. Guest

    Leroy wrote:
    > Or, strap some air horns to your back, set the shot up on a tripod
    > and use a remote release. Then just before you take the shot, fire
    > the air horns. Bet you don't get anyone with closed eyes then.

    Thank you, your suggestion worked very well indeed.

    Have you any method of correcting a pic where everyone has their mouths
    wide open?

    TIA

    --
    Bri.
    Bri., Nov 9, 2006
  20. Trey

    Mark² Guest

    Bri. wrote:
    > Leroy wrote:
    >> Or, strap some air horns to your back, set the shot up on a tripod
    >> and use a remote release. Then just before you take the shot, fire
    >> the air horns. Bet you don't get anyone with closed eyes then.

    > Thank you, your suggestion worked very well indeed.
    >
    > Have you any method of correcting a pic where everyone has their
    > mouths wide open?

    -And their fingers in their ears?

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Nov 9, 2006