Extremely low network utilization.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Aldourien, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. Aldourien

    Aldourien Guest

    I'm trying to download a game through the Steam network and I just moved into
    a flat with only a wireless connection. My computer is a desktop so and no
    wireless network card so I bought Jensen Air:Link 85300 USB Adapter to
    connect.
    It seemed to work fine a while and I recently bought and started downloading
    Street Fighter 4 through the Steam network and it worked fine with 300kb/s,
    but after 35% it dropped to a horrific 10 to 30kb/s. A lot of webpages have
    been loading very slowly since then too and I checked my task manager for
    background programs and saw my Network Utilization was below 1%..
    I don't know what router is being used, but I'll check with my landlord
    tomorrow, it's a 2Mbit broadband connection anyhow and the speed between the
    router and the adapter is 48 to 55Mbit and a 90%ish signal strength.

    The router isn't using any WEP or WPS security and is completely open.
    I've also tried removing the adapter from the extension and plugged it in
    alone to the USB port, but it's still the same but with a lower signal
    strength, turning off the firewall through Run -> Services.msc, turning off
    the Antivirus protection and reconnecting to the router.

    What should I do?

    Aldourien, Sep 2, 2009