    assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was filled
    with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that is
    the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.

    blanking, May 5, 2008

  2. blanking

    RL Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup or
    > worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
    > really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
    > with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does not
    > buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for
    > everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my isp but
    > would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get close to
    > dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a
    > problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a common
    > example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
    > unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
    > assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was filled
    > with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that is
    > the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.

    There are apparently major issues with clear.net and paradise.net
    (Telstraclear) according to the status page, and Ihug is buggered too. I
    was getting speeds of under 10kBs^-1 for two downloads. I gave up, since
    when things get that bad, data corruption seems to become more of a
    problem, and I didn't want to wait another two hours to turn the PC off.

    Right now I am looking for a new ISP, but prices have gone up, quality
    and caps have gone down. Where is WiMax? It's been trialed for two years
    now, and it still isn't wideley deployed. The idiotic unbundling idea
    has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
    any time soon.

    RL

    RL, May 5, 2008

  3. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "RL" <> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >> I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup
    >> or worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
    >> really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
    >> with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does
    >> not buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into
    >> nz for everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my
    >> isp but would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get
    >> close to dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to
    >> having a problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would
    >> be a common example for people to easily compare with, needless to say
    >> youtube is unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps
    >> to the assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup
    >> was filled with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the
    >> exchange that is the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running
    >> at over 3000 kbps.

    > There are apparently major issues with clear.net and paradise.net
    > (Telstraclear) according to the status page, and Ihug is buggered too. I
    > was getting speeds of under 10kBs^-1 for two downloads. I gave up, since
    > when things get that bad, data corruption seems to become more of a
    > problem, and I didn't want to wait another two hours to turn the PC off.
    >
    > Right now I am looking for a new ISP, but prices have gone up, quality and
    > caps have gone down. Where is WiMax? It's been trialed for two years now,
    > and it still isn't wideley deployed. The idiotic unbundling idea has cost
    > us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper any time
    > soon.
    >
    > RL

    This has been a problem for quite sometime for me, not just an intermittent
    thing, it has consistently been happening for a longtime, longer than I can
    remember right now. I presume the problems you refer to with clear etc... is
    just a recent and temporary one, certainly my isp never has any network
    problems reported that explain my problem and of course the help desk
    response is denial and pass the buck.
    Needless to say I am looking for a new isp too but easier said than done
    since finding out the realworld performance before signing up seems near
    impossible, it seems very difficult to find reliable user feedback.

    blanking, May 5, 2008
  4. In article <fvmj4m$9i1$>, RL did write:

    > The idiotic unbundling idea
    > has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
    > any time soon.

    There was never any serious wired alternative to the existing local loop.
    That's why the unbundling decision was taken. That's commonly been the
    strategy overseas.

    As for a wireless alternative, I don't think that's had much success
    overseas either, other than for mobile use.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 5, 2008
  5. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Collector€NZ" <> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >> "RL" <> wrote in message
    >>> There are apparently major issues with clear.net and paradise.net
    >>> (Telstraclear) according to the status page, and Ihug is buggered too. I
    >>> was getting speeds of under 10kBs^-1 for two downloads. I gave up, since
    >>> when things get that bad, data corruption seems to become more of a
    >>> problem, and I didn't want to wait another two hours to turn the PC off.
    >>>
    >>> Right now I am looking for a new ISP, but prices have gone up, quality
    >>> and caps have gone down. Where is WiMax? It's been trialed for two years
    >>> now, and it still isn't wideley deployed. The idiotic unbundling idea
    >>> has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
    >>> any time soon.
    >>>
    >>> RL

    >> This has been a problem for quite sometime for me, not just an
    >> intermittent thing, it has consistently been happening for a longtime,
    >> longer than I can remember right now. I presume the problems you refer to
    >> with clear etc... is just a recent and temporary one, certainly my isp
    >> never has any network problems reported that explain my problem and of
    >> course the help desk response is denial and pass the buck.
    >> Needless to say I am looking for a new isp too but easier said than done
    >> since finding out the realworld performance before signing up seems near
    >> impossible, it seems very difficult to find reliable user feedback.

    > Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
    >
    > I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of issues
    > currently with clear and xtra

    xnet, how about you?

    blanking, May 5, 2008
  6. blanking

    EMB Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > "Collector€NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>> "RL" <> wrote in message

    >>> This has been a problem for quite sometime for me, not just an
    >>> intermittent thing, it has consistently been happening for a longtime,
    >>> longer than I can remember right now. I presume the problems you refer to
    >>> with clear etc... is just a recent and temporary one, certainly my isp
    >>> never has any network problems reported that explain my problem and of
    >>> course the help desk response is denial and pass the buck.
    >>> Needless to say I am looking for a new isp too but easier said than done
    >>> since finding out the realworld performance before signing up seems near
    >>> impossible, it seems very difficult to find reliable user feedback.

    >> Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
    >>
    >> I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of issues
    >> currently with clear and xtra

    > xnet, how about you?

    Read the forums at geekzone - there are issues. That said, I'm getting
    pretty consistent 2Mb/s downloads ex the UK via xnet during the evening.

    EMB, May 5, 2008
  7. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:481ee7d9$...
    > blanking wrote:
    >> "Collector€NZ" <> wrote in message

    >>> Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
    >>>
    >>> I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of
    >>> issues currently with clear and xtra

    >> xnet, how about you?

    > Read the forums at geekzone - there are issues. That said, I'm getting
    > pretty consistent 2Mb/s downloads ex the UK via xnet during the evening.

    I already did but as this is a ongoing longterm problem with xnet I wanted
    to know if others were experiencing similar problems with other isp's or
    not, I find with xnet that they finally get more bandwidth and then no
    sooner are things going ok than they go down hill again as they sign up more
    subscribers without buying more bandwidth, because of this xnet has ongoing
    bad performance with brief respites. Of course they deny all of this and
    pass the buck but it is really obvious what is going on no matter what they
    say. So all that said i see no hope for good performance from xnet in the
    forseeable future. Are there any isps that buy enough bandwidth to cover
    current use and short term further expansion so they are not in bandwidth
    debt all the time?

    blanking, May 5, 2008
  8. blanking

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "blanking" typed:
    > I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting
    > dialup or worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night,
    > what I would really like to know though is if this is what other
    > people are putting up with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to
    > me either that my isp does not buy enough bandwidth or there is
    > insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for everyone, I suspect the
    > level of my speed problems is due to my isp but would love to hear
    > how others are getting on. As an example I get close to dialup or
    > worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a problem
    > with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a common
    > example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
    > unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
    > assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was
    > filled with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the
    > exchange that is the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are
    > running at over 3000 kbps.

    I have no trouble streaming youtube at any time of the day. Bandwidth is a
    little less between 5pm and 9pm but it's still more than adequate. From a
    good server I can get my full 2M any hour of the day. (Actrix Cyberjet
    although they don't offer the plan I'm on anymore. [2M/128kbps 1GB/day]).
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2008
  9. blanking

    RL Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <fvmj4m$9i1$>, RL did write:
    >
    >> The idiotic unbundling idea
    >> has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
    >> any time soon.

    > There was never any serious wired alternative to the existing local loop.
    > That's why the unbundling decision was taken. That's commonly been the
    > strategy overseas.
    >
    > As for a wireless alternative, I don't think that's had much success
    > overseas either, other than for mobile use.

    What we need is alternatives, wireless and wired. The Resource
    Management Act is a major obsticle to putting in another wired network.

    RL

    RL, May 5, 2008
  10. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:18:01 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup
    >>or
    >>worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
    >>really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
    >>with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does
    >>not
    >>buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for
    >>everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my isp but
    >>would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get close to
    >>dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a
    >>problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a
    >>common
    >>example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
    >>unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
    >>assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was filled
    >>with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that is
    >>the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.
    >>

    > What you pay for is your Internet connection - no ISP provides any
    > speed guarantee therefore you are always getting what you paid for
    > regardless of speed. If your speeds are not much better than dial-up
    > then clearly you should consider returning to dial-up if this is
    > acceptable and cheaper than your current broadband ISP.
    >
    > As I understand it, from your modem/router your physical connection is
    > routed to a Telecom Exchange and then through Telecom-provided
    > 'backhaul' to your ISP. All Telecom services are shared amongst all
    > broadband users. Therefore, logically, if the exchange that you are
    > connected to has a high number of broadband users and Telecom has not
    > provisioned enough onward bandwidth to the various ISPs then
    > throughput will suffer regardless of ISP or connection speed. LLU
    > allows for the possibility of your ISP being able to connect directly.
    >
    > Wireless broadband has not taken off for whatever reasons - meaning
    > that fixed-line broadband is still popular where wireless broadband is
    > available.
    >
    > Crash.

    This sounds just like the sort of response I would expect from some isp's,
    hmm your identity is totally hidden, I wonder.
    I already explained why it is not the exchange that is the problem, I see
    you conveniently ignored this fact, this is just the sort of response i have
    encountered when ringing the isp, like I said before, it's all denial and
    buck passing, no responsibility in which case I don't know what the isp
    things I am paying for, exactly what is the service that they provide if
    they are not responsible for any of this, is a call centre the only thing
    the isp provides, is this all we are paying them for, it's all a bloody joke
    it seems.
    As for your first paragraph, not sure what your point is, just sounds like
    some nonsensical defensive response to me.

    blanking, May 6, 2008
  11. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "RL" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <fvmj4m$9i1$>, RL did write:
    >>
    >>> The idiotic unbundling idea
    >>> has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
    >>> any time soon.

    >> There was never any serious wired alternative to the existing local loop.
    >> That's why the unbundling decision was taken. That's commonly been the
    >> strategy overseas.
    >>
    >> As for a wireless alternative, I don't think that's had much success
    >> overseas either, other than for mobile use.

    > What we need is alternatives, wireless and wired. The Resource Management
    > Act is a major obsticle to putting in another wired network.
    >
    > RL

    But is it the copper that is the problem, doesn't seem like it to me, seems
    just a case of the isp's not buying enough bandwidth so they can maximize
    profits by running things on the smell of an oily rag. Personally i think
    any isp who buys enough bandwidth at a time that they don't get caught short
    will soon make up for the extra costs with the extra customers and data
    downloaded after word of mouth spreads about their performance, but
    initiative at the top of our big businesses seems very short on supply in
    this country no matter what business we are talking about. And those that
    have the initiative are quickly bought out by bigger business, i.e the
    strategy of buying out rather than competing which screws the competition
    benefits and protection that the free market is suppose to provide.
    Paradise is just 1 example of a company with positive initative bought out
    by a larger company that makes it success not through good product or
    service but by more negative means and we all know how paradise went to
    hell. Anyhow i am getting off topic here with a little rant, so excuse me.

    blanking, May 6, 2008
  12. blanking

    > blanking wrote:
    >> "RL" <> wrote in message
    >>> There are apparently major issues with clear.net and paradise.net
    >>> (Telstraclear) according to the status page, and Ihug is buggered too. I
    >>> was getting speeds of under 10kBs^-1 for two downloads. I gave up, since
    >>> when things get that bad, data corruption seems to become more of a
    >>> problem, and I didn't want to wait another two hours to turn the PC off.
    >>>
    >>> Right now I am looking for a new ISP, but prices have gone up, quality
    >>> and caps have gone down. Where is WiMax? It's been trialed for two years
    >>> now, and it still isn't wideley deployed. The idiotic unbundling idea
    >>> has cost us any chance of seeing a decent alternative to Telecom copper
    >>> any time soon.
    >>>
    >>> RL

    >> This has been a problem for quite sometime for me, not just an
    >> intermittent thing, it has consistently been happening for a longtime,
    >> longer than I can remember right now. I presume the problems you refer to
    >> with clear etc... is just a recent and temporary one, certainly my isp
    >> never has any network problems reported that explain my problem and of
    >> course the help desk response is denial and pass the buck.
    >> Needless to say I am looking for a new isp too but easier said than done
    >> since finding out the realworld performance before signing up seems near
    >> impossible, it seems very difficult to find reliable user feedback.

    > Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
    >
    > I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of issues
    > currently with clear and xtra

    That's great, can you let me know who your isp is then as you are the only
    person that seems to have an isp that has no major performance issues, to be
    clear though are you saying that you just don't have any at the moment or
    that you generally don't have them, the odd hiccup is to be expected of
    course but i am talking about general day to day performance, i hope you
    understand what I mean, say if you don't.
    Xnet have by far the best plan for my needs but unfortunately it's just a
    waste of money when you don't get what you paid for but unfortunately so far
    regardless of cost it is no easy task to find an isp that user feedback
    confirms is providing enough bandwidth for the customer base.

    blanking, May 6, 2008
  13. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > get dial-up-like speeds? Let me list some possibilities:
    >
    > Bandwidth to the server concerned from your ISP
    > Bandwidth within the ISP.
    > Bandwidth from your ISP to you (includes Telecom).
    >
    > The bandwidth available at all points varies second by second - but if
    > you get the above speed test results then get slow download speeds
    > soon after the major variable is the source of the data - two
    > different servers (most likely).
    >
    >>As for your first paragraph, not sure what your point is, just sounds like
    >>some nonsensical defensive response to me.

    > Then you need to improve your comprehension skills. Most ISPs
    > comprehensively cover speed expectations. You have no right to expect
    > more. You can certainly complain bitterly but the fact remains that
    > your expectations are not supported by your rights. That may not be

    Bias, there is no way anybody could come up with this dribble without a
    massive bias to deny the isp of any responsibility, what this bias could be
    beyond working for the isp I have not a clue. I do know that it is the exact
    response I got when i talked to someone higher up the chain at my isp, if
    you don't work for them already you should apply and provide this newsgroup
    post as proof of your suitability for the job. I did just think of one other
    explanation and that is that you worked for one in the past and you were so
    easily and well brainwashed that you have failed to escape your programming
    even after leaving. You wouldn't be a consultant for isp's would you, that's
    another line of work that requires a degree in bullshitting.

    blanking, May 6, 2008
  14. blanking

    Squiggle Guest

    Crash wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 May 2008 11:09:05 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >
    >> "Crash" <> wrote in message

    >>> What you pay for is your Internet connection - no ISP provides any
    >>> speed guarantee therefore you are always getting what you paid for
    >>> regardless of speed. If your speeds are not much better than dial-up
    >>> then clearly you should consider returning to dial-up if this is
    >>> acceptable and cheaper than your current broadband ISP.
    >>>
    >>> As I understand it, from your modem/router your physical connection is
    >>> routed to a Telecom Exchange and then through Telecom-provided
    >>> 'backhaul' to your ISP. All Telecom services are shared amongst all
    >>> broadband users. Therefore, logically, if the exchange that you are
    >>> connected to has a high number of broadband users and Telecom has not
    >>> provisioned enough onward bandwidth to the various ISPs then
    >>> throughput will suffer regardless of ISP or connection speed. LLU
    >>> allows for the possibility of your ISP being able to connect directly.
    >>>
    >>> Wireless broadband has not taken off for whatever reasons - meaning
    >>> that fixed-line broadband is still popular where wireless broadband is
    >>> available.
    >>>
    >>> Crash.

    >> This sounds just like the sort of response I would expect from some isp's,
    >> hmm your identity is totally hidden, I wonder.

    > You use a pseudonym as I do - so you are accusing me of what?
    >
    > The only connection I have had with any ISP is as a customer. When
    > looking at a problem I try to understand what the component parts of
    > the picture are from a logical perspective and devoid of bias.
    >
    >> I already explained why it is not the exchange that is the problem, I see
    >> you conveniently ignored this fact, this is just the sort of response i have
    >> encountered when ringing the isp, like I said before, it's all denial and
    >> buck passing, no responsibility in which case I don't know what the isp
    >> things I am paying for, exactly what is the service that they provide if
    >> they are not responsible for any of this, is a call centre the only thing
    >> the isp provides, is this all we are paying them for, it's all a bloody joke
    >> it seems.

    > Your speed tests will come through the same path as everything else -
    > your ISP and their networks as well as your connection. If a speed
    > test shows you getting 3000 kbps then if it is accurate that is what
    > you got at the time from that server. What are the variables when you
    > get dial-up-like speeds? Let me list some possibilities:
    >
    > Bandwidth to the server concerned from your ISP
    > Bandwidth within the ISP.
    > Bandwidth from your ISP to you (includes Telecom).
    >
    > The bandwidth available at all points varies second by second - but if
    > you get the above speed test results then get slow download speeds
    > soon after the major variable is the source of the data - two
    > different servers (most likely).

    Correct, but when you can pull data off most NZ based servers at full
    speed any time of day or night and never get good speeds off overseas
    servers in peak hours it is not unreasonable to come to the conclusion
    that your ISP doesn't have/can't deliver enough intl bandwidth. It
    certainly rules out the path from you to your ISP as the cause of the
    problem if you can get full speed downloads off NZ servers 24/7.

    And that matches my (and FWICS blankings') experience with xnet recently.

    >> As for your first paragraph, not sure what your point is, just sounds like
    >> some nonsensical defensive response to me.

    > Then you need to improve your comprehension skills. Most ISPs
    > comprehensively cover speed expectations. You have no right to expect
    > more. You can certainly complain bitterly but the fact remains that
    > your expectations are not supported by your rights. That may not be
    > palatable but it is a fact.

    No, they cover their _obligations_ by use of a contract that states you
    get what you get and if you dont like it tough shit, go elsewhere. Which
    is exactly what blanking is looking at doing. The expectations of the
    customer are something different. When a product is advertising as
    "high speed" or "fast internet" you are right to expect decent speeds.

    Look at any ISPs site and there marketing will imply that broadband is a
    high speed connection. Some are even silly enough to not put the words
    "up to" in their blurbs.
    eg: "It will boost your Internet experience with speed 80 times faster
    than Dial Up Internet so you can now surf the web and download files,
    streaming audio and video, Internet TV and much more as you like."

    As for you comment about rights, we have the right to expect a company
    to deliver what it advertises. To do otherwise is misrepresentation of
    product/service and is an offence under the fair trading act.

    Squiggle, May 6, 2008
  15. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Squiggle" <> wrote in message
    > As for you comment about rights, we have the right to expect a company
    > to deliver what it advertises. To do otherwise is misrepresentation of
    > product/service and is an offence under the fair trading act.

    I have been waiting forever for someone to test the fair trading act on an
    isp, surely 1 such as mine would not stand a chance of defending a breach, I
    can't understand why there are not cases of this left, right and center. I
    know the technical nature is a bit of a barrier.

    blanking, May 6, 2008
  16. blanking

    nick Guest

    On May 5, 8:18 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    > I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup or
    > worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
    > really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
    > with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does not
    > buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into nz for
    > everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my isp but
    > would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get close to
    > dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a
    > problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a common
    > example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
    > unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
    > assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was filled
    > with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that is
    > the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.

    I'm with xnet as well (for the past 6 months) and although I never
    experienced "dial-up" (yuk!) speed, 95% of the time when I stream from
    youtube it has to pause/buffer every 10~15 seconds or so. I remember
    being on a *256kbps* business plan that had better video streaming
    performance than that.

    I don't know what the hell is their problem (maybe not just them) but
    all things considered they still have one of the cheapest plans for
    heavy users.

    nick, May 6, 2008
  17. blanking

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 06 May 2008 12:46:11 +1200, Brian Mathews wrote:

    > Try this site, as you might be getting lots of lost packets
    >

    > http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    >

    > I don't think it works with Luni Lunix..

    Thanks for the link.

    Works fine with Ubuntu 8.04 and Opera 9.50

    Lodi

    Lodi, May 6, 2008
  18. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "nick" <> wrote in message
    > On May 5, 8:18 pm, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >> I'm sick of paying for full speed broadband and typically getting dialup
    >> or
    >> worse speed at anytime from late afternoon to late night, what I would
    >> really like to know though is if this is what other people are putting up
    >> with as well or is my isp extra bad, seems to me either that my isp does
    >> not
    >> buy enough bandwidth or there is insufficient bandwidth coming into nz
    >> for
    >> everyone, I suspect the level of my speed problems is due to my isp but
    >> would love to hear how others are getting on. As an example I get close
    >> dialup or worse speeds on youtube in the hours i referred to having a
    >> problem with and it is not just youtube but I thought this would be a
    >> common
    >> example for people to easily compare with, needless to say youtube is
    >> unusable in anykind of practical world. Before anybody leaps to the
    >> assumption as they always seem to(you would think the newsgroup was
    >> filled
    >> with people working for the isp's), I know it is not the exchange that
    >> is
    >> the bottleneck as my speed tests to my isp are running at over 3000 kbps.

    > I'm with xnet as well (for the past 6 months) and although I never
    > experienced "dial-up" (yuk!) speed, 95% of the time when I stream from
    > youtube it has to pause/buffer every 10~15 seconds or so. I remember
    > being on a *256kbps* business plan that had better video streaming
    > performance than that.
    >
    > I don't know what the hell is their problem (maybe not just them) but
    > all things considered they still have one of the cheapest plans for
    > heavy users.

    I don't call it cheap thouggh if you are getting near dialup speeds, I call
    it a rip off.
    Anyhow I just hope I have better luck with the next isp.

    blanking, May 6, 2008
  19. blanking

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "blanking" typed:
    > "Collector?NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> Cant be buggered reading your headers who is your ISP.
    >>
    >> I have no issues at all with my ISP. I have anecdotally evidence of
    >> issues currently with clear and xtra

    > That's great, can you let me know who your isp is then as you are the
    > only person that seems to have an isp that has no major performance
    > issues [snipped]

    So you didn't read my post?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2008
  20. blanking

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "blanking" typed:
    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 6 May 2008 11:09:05 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Crash" <> wrote in message

    >>> This sounds just like the sort of response I would expect from some
    >>> isp's, hmm your identity is totally hidden, I wonder.

    >> You use a pseudonym as I do - so you are accusing me of what?
    >>
    >> The only connection I have had with any ISP is as a customer. When
    >> looking at a problem I try to understand what the component parts of
    >> the picture are from a logical perspective and devoid of bias.
    >>
    >>> I already explained why it is not the exchange that is the problem,
    >>> I see you conveniently ignored this fact, this is just the sort of
    >>> response i have
    >>> encountered when ringing the isp, like I said before, it's all
    >>> denial and buck passing, no responsibility in which case I don't
    >>> know what the isp things I am paying for, exactly what is the
    >>> service that they provide if they are not responsible for any of
    >>> this, is a call centre the only thing the isp provides, is this all
    >>> we are paying them for, it's all a bloody joke
    >>> it seems.

    >> Your speed tests will come through the same path as everything else -
    >> your ISP and their networks as well as your connection. If a speed
    >> test shows you getting 3000 kbps then if it is accurate that is what
    >> you got at the time from that server. What are the variables when
    >> you get dial-up-like speeds? Let me list some possibilities:
    >>
    >> Bandwidth to the server concerned from your ISP
    >> Bandwidth within the ISP.
    >> Bandwidth from your ISP to you (includes Telecom).
    >>
    >> The bandwidth available at all points varies second by second - but
    >> if you get the above speed test results then get slow download speeds
    >> soon after the major variable is the source of the data - two
    >> different servers (most likely).
    >>
    >>> As for your first paragraph, not sure what your point is, just
    >>> sounds like some nonsensical defensive response to me.

    >> Then you need to improve your comprehension skills. Most ISPs
    >> comprehensively cover speed expectations. You have no right to
    >> expect more. You can certainly complain bitterly but the fact
    >> remains that your expectations are not supported by your rights. That may
    >> not be palatable but it is a fact.
    >>
    >> Crash.

    > Bias, there is no way anybody could come up with this dribble without
    > a massive bias to deny the isp of any responsibility, what this bias
    > could be beyond working for the isp

    This "bias" that you perceive is what the rest of us know as the realities
    of NZ ISPs.

    > I have not a clue.

    > I do know that
    > it is the exact response I got when i talked to someone higher up the
    > chain at my isp, if you don't work for them already you should apply
    > and provide this newsgroup post as proof of your suitability for the
    > job. I did just think of one other explanation and that is that you
    > worked for one in the past and you were so easily and well
    > brainwashed that you have failed to escape your programming even
    > after leaving. You wouldn't be a consultant for isp's would you,
    > that's another line of work that requires a degree in bullshitting.

    Nice people skills!

    As you seem to think that it's ok to extrapolate a newsgroup post into a
    person's RL info then, from reading your post, I'd say that you're an angry
    ineffectual person who probably takes out his frustration at not being able
    to comprehend life on other people.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2008