Extremely critical flaw detected in Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, May 22, 2006.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, May 22, 2006

  2. Au79

    thanatoid Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in
    news:XB6cg.28$:

    > Earthtimes.org - USA
    >
    > Security researchers have revealed that a new zero-day
    > vulnerability in Microsoft Word is being exploited by
    > hackers ...
    >
    > <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/6731.html>

    Thanks for the link. If it wasn't so indicative of consumer
    stupidity,
    this never-ending stream info would be REALLY funny.

    (I've been meaning to thank you for these links for some time.)

    YES, I use Windows. 95B and 98SE Lite. But NO other M$ software.
    You could never pay me enough to install Office. And it is
    simply UNBELIEVABLE how EVERYONE thinks they MUST have it.
    People sure are peculiar.

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #21 (a quote this time)
    "Hell is other people."

    thanatoid, May 22, 2006

  3. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > Au79 <> wrote in
    >
    >> Earthtimes.org - USA
    >>
    >> Security researchers have revealed that a new zero-day
    >> vulnerability in Microsoft Word is being exploited by
    >> hackers ...
    >>
    >> <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/6731.html>

    > Thanks for the link. If it wasn't so indicative of consumer
    > stupidity,
    > this never-ending stream info would be REALLY funny.
    >
    > (I've been meaning to thank you for these links for some time.)

    No problem, just a public service.

    > YES, I use Windows. 95B and 98SE Lite. But NO other M$ software.
    > You could never pay me enough to install Office. And it is
    > simply UNBELIEVABLE how EVERYONE thinks they MUST have it.
    > People sure are peculiar.

    In this case, everyone (or nearly everyone) has fallen under the spell of
    the Microsoft marketing voodoo tactic, thus making zombies of average
    consumers.

    In the geek world, MS is referred to as the (Star Trek) Borg: "Resistance is
    futile".

    Au79, May 22, 2006
  4. Au79

    thanatoid Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in

    > thanatoid wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >> (I've been meaning to thank you for these links for some
    >> time.)

    > No problem, just a public service.
    >

    >> YES, I use Windows. 95B and 98SE Lite. But NO other M$
    >> software. You could never pay me enough to install Office.
    >> And it is simply UNBELIEVABLE how EVERYONE thinks they
    >> MUST have it. People sure are peculiar.

    > In this case, everyone (or nearly everyone) has fallen
    > under the spell of the Microsoft marketing voodoo tactic,
    > thus making zombies of average consumers.
    >
    > In the geek world, MS is referred to as the (Star Trek)
    > Borg: "Resistance is futile".

    I am afraid it is futile. M$ are marketing geniuses (and they do
    - quite often - get unintentional "help" from their
    competitors...). Too bad they can't write a decent piece of
    software. Even what they steal or "assimilate", they manage to
    **** up, and good.

    But what is TOTALLY beyond my comprehension is how Xerox PARC
    who basically came up with almost everything, just invited
    everyone to visit and steal all the ideas.

    BTW, to not seem like a complete sheep myself, I should have
    clarified that the only reason I use those 2 versions of Windows
    on my machines is because I learned about this stuff at work
    where we only had Windows, and since I've been messing around
    with this "OS" for over 15 years, I have managed to get it to
    work quite reliably (with lots of 3rd party tweaks and lots of
    sweat and cursing of course). If I was starting now, I'd go with
    Linux for sure.

    And I will die fighting before I let anyone bring XP into my
    humble home!

    thanatoid, May 22, 2006
  5. Au79

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 22 May 2006 03:33:08 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > Au79 <> wrote in
    >
    >> Earthtimes.org - USA
    >>
    >> Security researchers have revealed that a new zero-day vulnerability in
    >> Microsoft Word is being exploited by hackers ...
    >>
    >> <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/6731.html>

    > Thanks for the link. If it wasn't so indicative of consumer stupidity,
    > this never-ending stream info would be REALLY funny.
    >
    > (I've been meaning to thank you for these links for some time.)
    >
    > YES, I use Windows. 95B and 98SE Lite. But NO other M$ software. You could
    > never pay me enough to install Office. And it is simply UNBELIEVABLE how
    > EVERYONE thinks they MUST have it. People sure are peculiar.

    Been using MS Office since 1997. Mostly because my clients use it and I
    have to know it to service it. All I can say is thank you Bill Gates for
    making me a very wealthy IT pro in only 9 years in the business. If not
    for such total shit as MS Office, W2K, XP, SBS 2000 / 2003, I would still
    be crawling under desks and running ethernet drops.

    Meat Plow, May 22, 2006
  6. Au79

    NotMe Guest

    OpenOffice works well and it's free. www.openoffic.org