    Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

    JJ

    , Apr 13, 2007

  2. nospam Guest

    <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

    nospam, Apr 13, 2007

  3. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <120420072104158122%>,
    lid says...

    > > Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
    > > Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

    > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

    Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
    from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
    there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 13, 2007
  4. nospam Guest

    In article <>, Alfred
    Molon <> wrote:

    > In article <120420072104158122%>,
    > lid says...
    >
    > > > Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
    > > > Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

    > > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

    > Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
    > from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
    > there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.

    don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
    significantly faster than anything else.

    <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>

    nospam, Apr 13, 2007
  5. Skip Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <120420072104158122%>,
    > lid says...
    >
    >> > Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
    >> > Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

    >> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

    > Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
    > from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
    > there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.
    > --

    Actually, Alf, it isn't just the 5D. Canons in general aren't set up to
    take advantage of high speed cards. The Nikons, for example, pull about 2
    mb/sec more out of the same cards.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Apr 13, 2007
  6. tomm42 Guest

    On Apr 13, 8:12 am, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>, Alfred
    >
    > Molon <> wrote:
    > > In article <120420072104158122%>,
    > > says...

    > > > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

    > > Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
    > > from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
    > > there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.

    > don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
    > significantly faster than anything else.
    >
    > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>

    Not a huge difference here on a Lexar Pro card reader the Extreme IV
    was 16.2 mmb/sec the Extreme III 16.1 mb/sec. This vs 11.5 for a
    SanDisk "standard" 10.9 for a SanDisk Extreme (no #) and 16.3 for a
    Ridata 150 (all 2gb cards).

    Tom

    tomm42, Apr 13, 2007
  7. nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    tomm42 <> wrote:

    > > don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
    > > significantly faster than anything else.
    > >
    > > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>

    > Not a huge difference here on a Lexar Pro card reader the Extreme IV
    > was 16.2 mmb/sec the Extreme III 16.1 mb/sec. This vs 11.5 for a
    > SanDisk "standard" 10.9 for a SanDisk Extreme (no #) and 16.3 for a
    > Ridata 150 (all 2gb cards).

    on a firewire 800 reader, it reaches 38 mb/sec (lower right corner of
    the chart). that's quite a bit faster.

    nospam, Apr 13, 2007
  8. tomm42 Guest

    On Apr 13, 9:54 am, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > tomm42 <> wrote:
    > > > don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
    > > > significantly faster than anything else.

    > > > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>

    > > Not a huge difference here on a Lexar Pro card reader the Extreme IV
    > > was 16.2 mmb/sec the Extreme III 16.1 mb/sec. This vs 11.5 for a
    > > SanDisk "standard" 10.9 for a SanDisk Extreme (no #) and 16.3 for a
    > > Ridata 150 (all 2gb cards).

    > on a firewire 800 reader, it reaches 38 mb/sec (lower right corner of
    > the chart). that's quite a bit faster.

    Yeah an little over twice the speed, with a Lacie reader a 2gb Extreme
    III takes about 2min to empty, would 1 min be better, sure but I won't
    loose sleep over it. Just pulled a mid-high range reader off the list.

    Tom

    tomm42, Apr 13, 2007
  9. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <m3LTh.157481$>,
    says...

    > Actually, Alf, it isn't just the 5D. Canons in general aren't set up to
    > take advantage of high speed cards. The Nikons, for example, pull about 2
    > mb/sec more out of the same cards.

    Oly DSLRs write at 10MB/s with fast cards.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 13, 2007
  10. Skip Guest

    > In article <m3LTh.157481$>,
    > says...
    >
    >> Actually, Alf, it isn't just the 5D. Canons in general aren't set up to
    >> take advantage of high speed cards. The Nikons, for example, pull about
    >> 2
    >> mb/sec more out of the same cards.

    > Oly DSLRs write at 10MB/s with fast cards.

    Thank you Alf. That doesn't change what I said, now, does it?
    You're becoming more of an Oly fanboy than any Canon aficionado you've ever
    castigated.

    Skip, Apr 14, 2007
  11. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <Yh%Th.214179$>,
    says...

    > > Oly DSLRs write at 10MB/s with fast cards.

    > Thank you Alf. That doesn't change what I said, now, does it?
    > You're becoming more of an Oly fanboy than any Canon aficionado you've ever
    > castigated.

    Ehmmm... what I wrote is true, it's a simple fact.

    But feel free to call me an Oly "fanboy", if you like. I might well be
    one, given that I have been using Olympus digital cameras since 1997,
    although I've now been using a Sony R1 for a year.

    By the way, I briefly evaluated the 5D last year, then decided not to
    buy it, because I could not imagine carrying such a heavy stone with me.
    A camera has to be a portable item, not a big heavy thing. The R1 is no
    lightweight either, but way less bulky and heavy than the 5D.

    In any case, at least Oly "fanboys" don't jump into Canon threads and
    start recommending Olympus cameras, as Canon "aficionados" do.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 14, 2007
  12. Skip Guest

    > In article <Yh%Th.214179$>,
    > says...
    >
    >> > Oly DSLRs write at 10MB/s with fast cards.

    >> Thank you Alf. That doesn't change what I said, now, does it?
    >> You're becoming more of an Oly fanboy than any Canon aficionado you've
    >> ever
    >> castigated.

    > Ehmmm... what I wrote is true, it's a simple fact.
    >
    > But feel free to call me an Oly "fanboy", if you like. I might well be
    > one, given that I have been using Olympus digital cameras since 1997,
    > although I've now been using a Sony R1 for a year.
    >
    > By the way, I briefly evaluated the 5D last year, then decided not to
    > buy it, because I could not imagine carrying such a heavy stone with me.
    > A camera has to be a portable item, not a big heavy thing. The R1 is no
    > lightweight either, but way less bulky and heavy than the 5D.

    Well, I guess some of us let our wimpiness overcome our desire for good
    image quality. I use the 5D on a regular basis to shoot weddings and
    environmental portraits, so I guess it's pretty portable.

    > In any case, at least Oly "fanboys" don't jump into Canon threads and
    > start recommending Olympus cameras, as Canon "aficionados" do

    Geez, Alf, let it go. The guy asked for recommendations, not strictly
    limited to info about oly.
    And that's pretty much what you just did, since the OP wanted a comparison
    between cards in a Canon 5D, and you just _had_ to jump in with the info
    that Olys get much higher speeds. Not what he asked, now, was it?
    The thing that is most annoying about you is your sanctimonious attitude.

    Skip, Apr 14, 2007
  13. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <JG5Uh.214181$>,
    says...

    > Geez, Alf, let it go. The guy asked for recommendations, not strictly
    > limited to info about oly.
    > And that's pretty much what you just did, since the OP wanted a comparison
    > between cards in a Canon 5D, and you just _had_ to jump in with the info
    > that Olys get much higher speeds. Not what he asked, now, was it?
    > The thing that is most annoying about you is your sanctimonious attitude.

    Ehmm, where did I write "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus", as Canon users
    frequently do in Olympus threads ?

    We were talking about card write speeds and I just mentioned that Oly
    DSLRs write at 10MB/s (also Nikon DSLRs write at the speed BTW, so it's
    funny that the 5D is limited to 6.5MB/s).

    And I did not call you "fanboy". But you did.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 14, 2007
  14. Alan LeHun Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Ehmm, where did I write "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus", as Canon users
    > frequently do in Olympus threads ?

    Show me. I bet you can't find a single instance of a canon fanboy saying
    "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus". :)

    --
    Alan LeHun

    Alan LeHun, Apr 14, 2007
  15. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 20:30:55 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

    > Ehmm, where did I write "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus", as Canon users
    > frequently do in Olympus threads ?
    >
    > We were talking about card write speeds and I just mentioned that Oly
    > DSLRs write at 10MB/s (also Nikon DSLRs write at the speed BTW, so it's
    > funny that the 5D is limited to 6.5MB/s).

    FWIW, it's often useful to check tested DSLR write speeds. I'm
    glad that I was aware that long before purchasing my new/old D50
    that I was aware that the D80 writes almost twice as fast. But then
    the D50 is probably (haven't checked recently) *much* faster than an
    Olympus C-8080 that I've used a few times. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 15, 2007
  16. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:39:49 +0100, Alan LeHun wrote:

    >> Ehmm, where did I write "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus", as Canon users
    >> frequently do in Olympus threads ?
    >>

    > Show me. I bet you can't find a single instance of a canon fanboy saying
    > "Canon sucks, buy an Olympus". :)

    <g> Well, one must admit that if a single instance was found, the
    "canon fanboy" merit badge would have to be revoked, folded,
    spindled and mutilated. :)

    ASAAR, Apr 15, 2007