    commercial DVDs?

    Cheers.

    Bobby
    Bobby, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Bobby

    Graham Mayor Guest

    I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from the
    disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for commercial discs)
    then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB and enable you to extract
    the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest bit about this method would be in
    identifying which of the VOBs contains the part you require, but if you set
    Decrypter to extract only the main movie and you know roughly how long into
    the movie the selection is, then it doesn't take rocket science to determine
    which of the highlighted VOBs contains the segment.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<>
    Graham Mayor

    Graham Mayor, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Bobby

    Tom Guest

    "Graham Mayor" <> wrote in

    > I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from the
    > disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for commercial
    > discs) then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB and enable you
    > to extract the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest bit about this
    > method would be in identifying which of the VOBs contains the part you
    > require, but if you set Decrypter to extract only the main movie and you
    > know roughly how long into the movie the selection is, then it doesn't
    > take rocket science to determine which of the highlighted VOBs contains
    > the segment.

    I would use DVD Shrink's re-author to just rip the portion that you want to
    then convert.
    Tom, Apr 3, 2005
  4. Bobby

    P Pron Guest

    Graham Mayor wrote:
    > Bobby wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me how to copy a short clip from a DVD? And save it
    >> in MPEG or WMV format? What's the best software for this? And will it
    >> work with commercial DVDs?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Bobby

    > I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from
    > the disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for
    > commercial discs) then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB
    > and enable you to extract the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest
    > bit about this method would be in identifying which of the VOBs
    > contains the part you require, but if you set Decrypter to extract
    > only the main movie and you know roughly how long into the movie the
    > selection is, then it doesn't take rocket science to determine which
    > of the highlighted VOBs contains the segment.

    If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets you set
    the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be inclined to use that -
    which generally means that DVD Decrypter isn't necessary...
    paul
    P Pron, Apr 3, 2005
  5. Bobby

    Graham Mayor Guest

    This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly identifying
    the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't think that is as
    easy to do using Shrink as with the method I suggested - even though it does
    use two pieces of software. The VideoReDo trial period should be ample to
    determine whether the OP wants to follow this path.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<>
    Graham Mayor

    Graham Mayor, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Bobby

    P Pron Guest

    Graham Mayor wrote:
    > P Pron wrote:
    >> Graham Mayor wrote:

    >>> I guess if I was doing this, I would rip the required VOB file from
    >>> the disc to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter (which works for
    >>> commercial discs) then VideoRedo (there's a demo) will read the VOB
    >>> and enable you to extract the segment you want as mpeg. The hardest
    >>> bit about this method would be in identifying which of the VOBs
    >>> contains the part you require, but if you set Decrypter to extract
    >>> only the main movie and you know roughly how long into the movie the
    >>> selection is, then it doesn't take rocket science to determine which
    >>> of the highlighted VOBs contains the segment.
    >>>

    >> If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets you
    >> set the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be inclined to
    >> use that - which generally means that DVD Decrypter isn't
    >> necessary... paul

    > This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly
    > identifying the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't
    > think that is as easy to do using Shrink as with the method I
    > suggested - even though it does use two pieces of software. The
    > VideoReDo trial period should be ample to determine whether the OP
    > wants to follow this path.

    Not wishing in any way to contradict an expert, the preview window of
    DVDShrink allows you to watch the whole movie from beginning to end - with a
    scroll bar to speed things up if you wish. But the point of my suggesting
    Shrink was as a substitute for Decrypter, not VideoReDo - it seemed to me
    that it would be easier to deal with a Title than a folder of VOBs.

    paul
    P Pron, Apr 3, 2005
  7. Bobby

    sed Guest

    DVD Ripper does a good job and allows you to set a starting and ending frame
    to create an mpeg or mpeg2.

    sed, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Bobby

    Ed Kim Guest

    P Pron wrote:
    > Graham Mayor wrote:
    > > P Pron wrote:

    it

    will

    from

    VOB

    hardest

    extract

    the

    which

    > >> If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets

    you
    > >> set the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be inclined

    > >> use that - which generally means that DVD Decrypter isn't
    > >> necessary... paul

    > > This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly
    > > identifying the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't
    > > think that is as easy to do using Shrink as with the method I
    > > suggested - even though it does use two pieces of software. The
    > > VideoReDo trial period should be ample to determine whether the OP
    > > wants to follow this path.
    > >

    > Not wishing in any way to contradict an expert, the preview window of

    > DVDShrink allows you to watch the whole movie from beginning to end -

    with a
    > scroll bar to speed things up if you wish. But the point of my

    suggesting
    > Shrink was as a substitute for Decrypter, not VideoReDo - it seemed

    to me
    > that it would be easier to deal with a Title than a folder of VOBs.
    >
    > paul

    iawtp. i have done this often. the SET START AND END FRAMES part of
    dvdshrink is quite good. You select BEGIN CHPTER and END CHAPTER and
    then there's a slider bar to tweak from there, with frame by frame
    advance.

    once you've got a .vob ripped, you can encode to whateveryou want with
    whatever you want. i use imToo's dvdripper.

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Bobby

    Graham Mayor Guest

    P Pron wrote:
    > Graham Mayor wrote:
    >> P Pron wrote:

    >>> If it's only one extract, the "Reauthor" button in DVDShrink lets
    >>> you set the start/finish point of any title on a DVD. I'd be
    >>> inclined to use that - which generally means that DVD Decrypter
    >>> isn't necessary... paul

    >> This would work too, but the issue is still that of correctly
    >> identifying the clip you actually want to save, and frankly I don't
    >> think that is as easy to do using Shrink as with the method I
    >> suggested - even though it does use two pieces of software. The
    >> VideoReDo trial period should be ample to determine whether the OP
    >> wants to follow this path.
    >>

    > Not wishing in any way to contradict an expert, the preview window of
    > DVDShrink allows you to watch the whole movie from beginning to end -
    > with a scroll bar to speed things up if you wish. But the point of my
    > suggesting Shrink was as a substitute for Decrypter, not VideoReDo -
    > it seemed to me that it would be easier to deal with a Title than a
    > folder of VOBs.
    >
    > paul

    I have no argument with your methodology or your reasoning. Shrink (I
    believe the technology has now been transferred to Nero Recode) should be in
    every video enthusiast's tool box, and what you say about the use of it is
    correct, however, its ability to mark sections for extraction is nowhere
    near as fast as that of VideoReDo, and it is the excellence of the latter
    application that makes this an alternative that may be easier to handle.
    Furthermore Decrypter is more robust in its ability to deal with difficult
    discs than Shrink.

    As for the working with a title over a list of VOBs then I take your point,
    but don't overlook the fact that Decrypter can mark the main movie VOBs for
    selection. A typical movie may have four main VOBs each accommodating a
    quarter of the movie. If you know roughly where in the movie the clip you
    want is located, it is a simple matter to rip the appropriate VOB to mpg.
    From then on it becomes child's play.

    At the end of the day these are two ways of achieving the same ends using
    software products that you can try for yourself and establish which approach
    you prefer. However, if you try the approach I have suggested, you will end
    up wanting to buy VideoReDo at the end of the trial period :)

    --
    Graham Mayor
    Graham Mayor, Apr 4, 2005