    sharonf Guest

    Is there any way to extract images from HTML email? If I right click on
    the image and choose to save image it saves the whole inbox.
    sharonf, Jan 24, 2007

  2. sharonf

    Mike Easter Guest

    sharonf wrote:
    > Is there any way to extract images from HTML email?

    Yes.

    > If I right click
    > on the image and choose to save image it saves the whole inbox.

    No, it doesn't in the html graphic I'm viewing while I'm typing this
    reply.

    If I am viewing a rendered html with inline graphics in Outlook Express
    and I position my cursor exactly on the image and R click, the context
    menu allows me to copy or save the image so targetted.

    Perhaps you should describe the 'context' or application in which you
    are viewing the html image you are asking about. That is, ask your
    question better; more precisely.

    You can also 'dissect' an html email by viewing its properties with the
    message source view and isolating the portion of the raw unrendered html
    of the image you've targetted and copying and saving that isolated
    graphic's b64 encoded graphic. Then you decode the b64 into the binary
    graphic.

    Some html mail doesn't actually contain the graphic, but it is
    downloaded from a website to 'appear' in the html mail.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 24, 2007

  3. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > sharonf wrote:
    >> Is there any way to extract images from HTML email?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> If I right click
    >> on the image and choose to save image it saves the whole inbox.

    > No, it doesn't in the html graphic I'm viewing while I'm typing this
    > reply.
    >
    > If I am viewing a rendered html with inline graphics in Outlook Express
    > and I position my cursor exactly on the image and R click, the context
    > menu allows me to copy or save the image so targetted.
    >
    > Perhaps you should describe the 'context' or application in which you
    > are viewing the html image you are asking about. That is, ask your
    > question better; more precisely.
    >
    > You can also 'dissect' an html email by viewing its properties with the
    > message source view and isolating the portion of the raw unrendered html
    > of the image you've targetted and copying and saving that isolated
    > graphic's b64 encoded graphic. Then you decode the b64 into the binary
    > graphic.
    >
    > Some html mail doesn't actually contain the graphic, but it is
    > downloaded from a website to 'appear' in the html mail.

    I just tried it again and although the options include "Save Image" it
    does not do that. When I click on the saved message the whole inbox
    opens up. I am using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9. I suspect that the images have
    been embedded rather than attached. I have already tried viewing the
    message source but that didn't help either.
    sharonf, Jan 24, 2007
  4. sharonf

    Mike Easter Guest

    sharonf wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> sharonf wrote:
    >>> Is there any way to extract images from HTML email?

    >> Yes.

    > I just tried it again and although the options include "Save Image"
    > it does not do that.

    There is either something wrong with what you are working with, or there
    is something wrong with how you are doing it. Besides what I described
    earlier which I did with OE, I just performed the same operation with
    Tbird 1.5.0.9

    > When I click on the saved message the whole inbox
    > opens up.

    The most normal way of viewing an email's image with OE or Tbird is not
    from opening a saved isolated email file, but from a mail item in the
    Inbox which mail item has been opened and the mail is being viewed.

    > I am using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9.

    In the linux v. of Tbird 1.5.0.9 I opened an email whose structure was
    b64 encoded html, which html had inline graphics which Tbird gave me the
    option of viewing or not viewing inline.

    When I chose to view the inline graphics, I was able to R click on a
    graphic and save the graphic to disk as a .gif file which .gif file
    opened separately. So, I was able to R click a graphic in Tbird and
    save it.

    > I suspect that the images
    > have been embedded rather than attached. I have already tried viewing
    > the message source but that didn't help either.

    In the case of the html email file I am describing above, viewing the
    message source shows me the b64 encoding. I know how to isolate b64
    encoded information found in a message source and then to decode the b64
    so that I have the decoded content to work with.

    An image in an html email may be 'inside' the html, or the image in an
    html email may be downloaded at the time of the rendering of the html
    email.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 24, 2007
  5. sharonf

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > sharonf wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    > In the linux v. of Tbird 1.5.0.9 I opened an email whose structure was
    > b64 encoded html,

    > When I chose to view the inline graphics, I was able to R click on a
    > graphic and save the graphic to disk as a .gif file which .gif file
    > opened separately.

    In that particular html email, another option besides 'Save image' was
    'Copy image location'

    > I know how to isolate b64
    > encoded information found in a message source and then to decode the
    > b64 so that I have the decoded content to work with.

    For the purposes of this discussion, since I can't see the structure of
    the mail you are having trouble with, I'll describe the structure of the
    mail that I am /not/ having trouble with.

    I isolated the b64 encoded information from the message source in Tbird
    and saved it as a .b64 file. Then I decoded the b64 file into an .htm
    file and examined the raw html. That html showed me that the image
    which Tbird was displaying inside the mail was actually downloaded from
    a webpage.

    > An image in an html email may be 'inside' the html, or the image in an
    > html email may be downloaded at the time of the rendering of the html
    > email.

    In the case of Tbird, Tbird's options for handling such an image in an
    html mail are different from OE's. Both OE and Tbird have html
    rendering engines which cause the graphic to be displayed by first
    decoding the b64 and then by rendering the html. The html rendering
    leads to the graphic in this case being downloaded from its website.
    OE's options when rendering the same mail and R clicking on the graphic
    are to Copy the graphic so you can paste the graphic into a graphic
    viewing program such as Irfanview, or to save the graphic to disk.
    Tbird's options when rendering that same mail are as described above,
    save image or copy image location.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 24, 2007