    application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

    Thanks

    Rob
    Rob G, Feb 8, 2008

  2. Rob G

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>, Rob
    G <> wrote:

    > Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
    > nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
    > data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
    > application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

    the best exif utility is exiftool:
    <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    there's a also gui version for windows at:
    <http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm>
    nospam, Feb 8, 2008

  3. Rob G

    Art Guest

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G
    <> wrote:

    >I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
    >cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
    >bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
    >size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
    >an attraction !
    >
    >Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
    >nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
    >data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
    >application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Rob

    You can view EXIF through most of the free programs available:
    FastStone and Irfanview both let you open and read the EXIF data.

    There are also some dedicated Exif readers that show EVERY field the
    mfg wrote - however for a P&S the standard programs are usually a
    complete listing.

    Google is your friend finding any or all of these ;).
    Art, Feb 8, 2008
  4. Rob G

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
    >cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
    >bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
    >size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
    >an attraction !
    >
    >Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
    >nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
    >data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
    >application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

    1.

    PhotoME
    http://www.photome.de/

    2.

    ExifTool
    http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    3.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/photoinfo.mspx>

    Microsoft Photo Info enables easy editing of "metadata" for digital
    photographs from inside Windows Explorer

    Published: January 22, 2007

    Microsoft Photo Info is a new software add-in for Microsoft Windows that
    allows photographers to add, change and delete common "metadata"
    properties for digital photographs from inside Windows Explorer. It also
    provides enhanced "hover tips" and additional sort properties for
    digital photographs in Explorer (in Details view).

    Microsoft Photo Info runs on 32-bit versions of Windows XP (with Service
    Pack 2 or later) and the Windows Vista operating systems.

    Free download after Validation.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 8, 2008
  5. Rob G

    jean Guest

    Exposure plot http://www.wega2.vandel.nl/ freeware is very interesting.

    Jean

    jean, Feb 8, 2008
  6. Rob G

    Guest

    On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <> wrote:

    > I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
    > cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
    > bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
    > size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
    > an attraction !
    >
    > Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
    > nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
    > data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
    > application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

    Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.
    , Feb 8, 2008
  7. Rob G

    John Navas Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 07:14:55 +1100, wrote in
    <>:

    >On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <> wrote:
    >
    >> I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
    >> cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
    >> bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
    >> size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
    >> an attraction !
    >>
    >> Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
    >> nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
    >> data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
    >> application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

    >Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

    If you install the appropriate plug-in.
    <http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm>

    John Navas, Feb 8, 2008
  8. Rob G

    Rob G Guest

    On 8 Feb, 20:14, wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:06:21 -0800 (PST), Rob G <> wrote:
    >
    > > I decided I wanted a small lightweight camera for taking 'snaps' when
    > > cycling, mountaineering, etc. and got a Panasonic FX01. Yes, it is a
    > > bit noisy but I'm not going to be blowing these pictures up to a large
    > > size, and the wide angle and small size were the drivers, and the IS
    > > an attraction !

    > > Anyway I've played with it a little and am impressed by the IS if
    > > nothing else. One thing I don't know is how to extract is the EXIF
    > > data to see quite what settings are being used. Do I need a specific
    > > application do do this or is it possible with PAINT ?

    > Use Irfanview as your image viewer and hit "I" to view the data.

    Thanks everyone - downloaded the Microsoft Photo Info program and
    found it adequate for what I wanted.

    Cheers
    Rob
    Rob G, Feb 8, 2008
  9. Rob G

    Art Guest

    THanks for the lead on the Microsoft tool. This is VERY handy for
    quick checks and batch edits of JPGS before distribution.

    Art, Feb 9, 2008
  10. Rob G

    John Navas Guest

    On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 05:49:43 -0700, Art
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >THanks for the lead on the Microsoft tool. This is VERY handy for
    >quick checks and batch edits of JPGS before distribution.

    You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to say thanks.

    John Navas, Feb 9, 2008