    goal.

    Thanks.

    Mike
    On Film, Dec 10, 2004

  2. On Film

    Cynicor Guest

    "On Film" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > [Given that I am a novice in the digital world]: I want to make
    > digital images with a GPS device attached to the camera that will
    > capture the GPS locations as part of the stored image. Back at the
    > computer, I want to write a short description of the image and extract
    > the GPS data to be associated with the description.
    >
    > I have searched the Web for a tutorial on such but was not successful.
    > Is there a site that would be helpful?
    >
    > Or recommendations on the software and/or technique to accomplish my
    > goal.

    Are you talking about retrofitting a camera itself, or would you capture the
    images to a laptop or something? I could see writing code that adds some
    sort of custom header field to a JPEG on the fly.
    Cynicor, Dec 10, 2004

  3. On Film <> writes:

    > [Given that I am a novice in the digital world]: I want to make
    > digital images with a GPS device attached to the camera that will
    > capture the GPS locations as part of the stored image. Back at the
    > computer, I want to write a short description of the image and extract
    > the GPS data to be associated with the description.
    >
    > I have searched the Web for a tutorial on such but was not successful.
    > Is there a site that would be helpful?
    >
    > Or recommendations on the software and/or technique to accomplish my
    > goal.

    There are a few cameras out there with a direct connection a GPS. The
    California Coastline project (http://www.californiacoastline.org/) for
    instance uses Nikon D1x camera to automatically record the information.

    There is also software that integrates the record points in most GPSs with the
    EXIF infomration in the photo to automatically determine where a photo was
    taken, based on the time. Here is one such software, but I recall there are
    other tools that do this also: http://oziphototool.alistairdickie.com/.

    If you write perl code, the Image::ExifTool library (and perl script for use
    from the command line) can parse the GPS information. The author is busily
    adding write support to ExifTool. You can get it from any CPAN mirror, or
    from the site: http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Dec 10, 2004
  4. "On Film" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > [Given that I am a novice in the digital world]: I want to make
    > digital images with a GPS device attached to the camera that will
    > capture the GPS locations as part of the stored image. Back at the
    > computer, I want to write a short description of the image and extract
    > the GPS data to be associated with the description.
    >
    > I have searched the Web for a tutorial on such but was not successful.
    > Is there a site that would be helpful?
    >
    > Or recommendations on the software and/or technique to accomplish my
    > goal.

    The only cameras that support a GPS unit are the Nikon D1X and D2X. Your
    separate GPS unit plugs into the camera, and the data is saved in the EXIF
    data. So, in order to do that through the camera, you have to get either of
    those two cameras, get a compatible GPS unit, figure out a way to carry the
    two items, and you're in business.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Dec 11, 2004
  5. On Film

    Mike F Guest

    Another utility I have seen (but not used) is Robogeo
    that will take your tracklog from the GPS and your
    folder of digital images and correlate the two putting
    the location from the tracklog in the EXIF info of the
    image. http://www.robogeo.com/home/ --- make
    sure your GPS and camera clocks are set the same
    unless you want strange results !!!

    Mike F, Dec 11, 2004
  6. "On Film" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > [Given that I am a novice in the digital world]: I want to make
    > digital images with a GPS device attached to the camera that will
    > capture the GPS locations as part of the stored image. Back at the
    > computer, I want to write a short description of the image and extract
    > the GPS data to be associated with the description.
    >
    > I have searched the Web for a tutorial on such but was not successful.
    > Is there a site that would be helpful?
    >
    > Or recommendations on the software and/or technique to accomplish my
    > goal.

    Here are some web sites.

    http://pfranc.com/projects/g45contr/nikon.htm

    http://www.nikondigital.org/articles/gps_setup.htm

    http://www.geospatialexperts.com/

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Dec 11, 2004
  7. On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:16:18 GMT, On Film
    <> wrote:

    >[Given that I am a novice in the digital world]: I want to make
    >digital images with a GPS device attached to the camera that will
    >capture the GPS locations as part of the stored image. [...]

    Here's some info on georeferencing photos. I did a Google search this
    summer to check current state of the technology. There are cameras
    available that have GPS data ports, but they were expensive and I
    wanted to use what I already have. The solution for me was to find
    software that matches the GPS track with that of an image (via the
    timestamp) and embed the GPS data into the image's EXIF fields. There
    are a variety of solutions, ranging from free to several hundred
    dollars. I liked WWMX as it is free and it also provides an easy
    interface for placing images where no GPS tracklog exists (this is
    missing from many of the programs).

    Here's a "Brief Introduction to GPS Photo Linking"
    http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/06/15/gps_photo.html

    The thread where I found out about WWMX
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11024219~mode=flat

    in that thread, also check out
    http://www.californiacoastline.org
    G7ToWin
    Exifer

    The piece of software that I'm using, WWMX Location Stamper, is on the
    World-Wide Media eXchange server.
    http://wwmx.org/Download.aspx
    Patrick R. Kane, Dec 11, 2004
  8. On Film

    On Film Guest

    I have a D1X that I plan to use. I had found sources for the GPS
    device and the connecting cable layout but the extracting of the GPS
    data to a text file had eluded me. Perhaps I need a refresher course
    in use of a Thesaurus!

    Thanks to all for the very helpful information that has been posted.
    Mike

    On Film, Dec 13, 2004
  9. On Film

    Cynicor Guest

    "On Film" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > [Given that I am a novice in the digital world]: I want to make
    > digital images with a GPS device attached to the camera that will
    > capture the GPS locations as part of the stored image. Back at the
    > computer, I want to write a short description of the image and extract
    > the GPS data to be associated with the description.
    >
    > I have searched the Web for a tutorial on such but was not successful.
    > Is there a site that would be helpful?
    >
    > Or recommendations on the software and/or technique to accomplish my
    > goal.

    Speak of the devil, there's an article about it in today's New York Times.
    (Free registration required.) It talks about doing it with a D1X and D2X, a
    Ricoh Caplio Pro G3, and software that you can use to match up the data
    after the fact.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/16/technology/circuits/16gpss.html
    Cynicor, Dec 16, 2004
  10. On Film

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Cynicor <> wrote:

    >Speak of the devil, there's an article about it in today's New York Times.

    Yes. I saw it. And it is so similar to this thread I have to think the
    person that wrote it at The Times read this thread. Or maybe even started
    it?

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.
    Don Wiss, Dec 17, 2004
  11. On Film

    Cynicor Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Cynicor <> wrote:
    >
    >>Speak of the devil, there's an article about it in today's New York Times.

    > Yes. I saw it. And it is so similar to this thread I have to think the
    > person that wrote it at The Times read this thread. Or maybe even started
    > it?
    >
    > Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Well, the original poster seems to be from the Atlanta area, so I'd guess
    that the Times author just read this. Although the Times author's name is
    Weiss and yours is Wiss. Hmmm....
    Cynicor, Dec 17, 2004
  12. On Film

    On Film Guest

    Yes, I am from the Atlanta, GA, USA area and no, I am not connected
    with NYT.

    I appreciate the helpful comments that have been posted. The GPS
    thing is to be one of my projects of the new year.

    Mike

    On Film, Dec 17, 2004