    Any comments would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    John
    John Wilson, Jul 23, 2003

  2. John Wilson

    EdO Guest

    Depends on your threshold of belief in the camera and whether you are
    prone to destroy items in your possession.

    Is that 2 year warranty in addition to the manufactures warranty?

    The company make big bucks selling this insurance - as a percentage
    probably twice the amount of percentage profit on the camera and no
    inventory needed. I suspect the salesman get more commission on the
    insurance than the camera.

    Sounds to me rather high unless this camera is prone to fail. Your
    could get comparable insurance on you car for about the same or less money.

    Do you have comparable insurance on your current cameras, CD players,
    yard tractor, (you get the idea).

    It all boils down to you place your bet and hope you lose ( just like
    most insurance).

    Ed
    EdO, Jul 23, 2003

  3. John Wilson

    Dave Weller Guest

    No! Never !
    Dave Weller, Jul 23, 2003
  4. John Wilson

    Mark B. Guest

    "John Wilson" <> wrote in message

    > Hello folks.
    >
    > I'm about ready to make a purchase of a Canon 10D camera and was wondering
    > about the purchase of an extended warranty that is being offered from
    > the place that I may purchase from. They are charging $450 for a 2 year
    > warranty, and they basically state that they'd cover just about anything;
    > from accidental damage (dropping, being sunk in water, etc.). Is

    something
    > like this really worth the $450? Do people actually buy stuff like this?
    >
    > This is my first big-budget camera equipment purchase, and $450 is a good
    > chunk of cash... the folks at the store swear by it (naturally), but I
    > was hoping to get some input from a 3rd party.
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Wow, that's about 1/3 of the price of the camera. If you really feel
    there's a good chance of something happening, go for it. Be sure to get a
    copy of the warranty and read it very carefully first. You're probably
    better off just adding it to your home insurance. Extended warranties are
    one reason I avoid buying big-ticket items at Best Buy (I know this probably
    isn't where you're buying) - they try to cram the warranty down your throat.
    My D30 came with an extended Mack warranty when I bought it from B&H, but it
    was a promotion and I wouldn't normally have paid extra for it.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jul 23, 2003
  5. John Wilson

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:09:37 +0000 (UTC), John Wilson
    <> wrote:

    >Hello folks.
    >
    >I'm about ready to make a purchase of a Canon 10D camera and was wondering
    >about the purchase of an extended warranty that is being offered from
    >the place that I may purchase from. They are charging $450 for a 2 year
    >warranty, and they basically state that they'd cover just about anything;
    >from accidental damage (dropping, being sunk in water, etc.). Is something
    >like this really worth the $450? Do people actually buy stuff like this?
    >
    >This is my first big-budget camera equipment purchase, and $450 is a good
    >chunk of cash... the folks at the store swear by it (naturally), but I
    >was hoping to get some input from a 3rd party.
    >
    >Any comments would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >John

    Take the $450.00 and buy another camera.

    itieu
    , Jul 23, 2003
  6. John Wilson

    Bob P Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:09:37 +0000 (UTC), John Wilson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Hello folks.
    > >
    > >I'm about ready to make a purchase of a Canon 10D camera and was

    wondering
    > >about the purchase of an extended warranty that is being offered from
    > >the place that I may purchase from. They are charging $450 for a 2 year
    > >warranty, and they basically state that they'd cover just about anything;
    > >from accidental damage (dropping, being sunk in water, etc.). Is

    something
    > >like this really worth the $450? Do people actually buy stuff like this?
    > >
    > >This is my first big-budget camera equipment purchase, and $450 is a good
    > >chunk of cash... the folks at the store swear by it (naturally), but I
    > >was hoping to get some input from a 3rd party.
    > >
    > >Any comments would be appreciated.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >John

    > Take the $450.00 and buy another camera.
    >
    > itieu

    $450??? Sounds like someone is really gouging here. For example, if you
    buy the camera from our well respected NY friends, you would only pay $84.95
    for a 3 year extended warranty (yes, 3 years, not 2). Curious, how much
    are they charging you for the camera?

    BobP
    Bob P, Jul 23, 2003
  7. John Wilson

    gr Guest

    "John Wilson" <> wrote

    > I'm about ready to make a purchase of a Canon 10D camera and was wondering
    > about the purchase of an extended warranty that is being offered from
    > the place that I may purchase from. They are charging $450 for a 2 year
    > warranty, and they basically state that they'd cover just about anything;

    Run away.

    Extended warranties on electronics like that are almost always an incredible
    rip-off. The real insurance value is probably about 10-20% of what the store
    is charging you. They make big profits on selling extended warranties, and
    the salesmen also get big commissions for selling them.

    But even if the insurance premium was fair (which at $450 it almost
    certainly isn't), you have to ask yourself if you really need it. Insurance
    has overhead costs + profit margins associated with it. Statistically, it's
    like gambling: the house will always win if you play enough.

    If you can't afford to replace an item, such as a home or a car, then
    insurance makes sense. But for consumables that you can afford to replace
    yourself, you may as well be your own insurer. Even if you lose a couple of
    times, you'll come out ahead far more often.

    Keep your $450.
    gr, Jul 23, 2003
  8. I always tell people that an extended warranty on a digital camera that
    costs over $250 is usually a good idea - on a $1500 camera it's a REAL good
    idea.

    That amount however, is HIGH. My renter's insurance gives me an "almost"
    all-inclusive policy for only around $5.00 a month on a 10D. The store I
    purchased it from then gave me a warranty that covers defects which covers
    the rest for around $120 for 4 years. MUCH better than the price you're
    being quoted.

    I may shop around at some other stores to see if any have good but cheap
    store warranties, then check your renter's or home owner's company to see
    what kind of policies they offer for this type of item, before making the
    purchase.

    Greg
    www.digitalcamerabasics.com

    DigitalCameraBasics, Jul 23, 2003
  9. John Wilson <> wrote:

    > Hello folks.
    >
    > I'm about ready to make a purchase of a Canon 10D camera and was
    > wondering about the purchase of an extended warranty that is being
    > offered from the place that I may purchase from. They are charging
    > $450 for a 2 year warranty, and they basically state that they'd cover
    > just about anything; from accidental damage (dropping, being sunk in
    > water, etc.). Is something like this really worth the $450? Do
    > people actually buy stuff like this?
    >
    > This is my first big-budget camera equipment purchase, and $450 is a
    > good chunk of cash... the folks at the store swear by it (naturally),
    > but I was hoping to get some input from a 3rd party.
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated.

    I have a Gold Mastercard that doubles new product warranties of one year
    or less.

    My Platinum Visa doubles the new product warranty up to an additional
    year for new product warranties of three years or less.

    Now, those are the kinds of warranties to get.....don't pay any extra for
    what you can get for free.

    Regards,
    John E. Golden
    John E. Golden, Jul 23, 2003
  10. John Wilson

    mcgyverjones Guest

    > I'm about ready to make a purchase of a Canon 10D camera and was wondering
    > about the purchase of an extended warranty that is being offered from
    > the place that I may purchase from.

    snip
    > This is my first big-budget camera equipment purchase, and $450 is a good
    > chunk of cash... the folks at the store swear by it (naturally), but I
    > was hoping to get some input from a 3rd party.

    What will the camera be worth in two years? Is it a no questions asked,
    exchange at the counter for a new unit deal? I doubt it, but at that price
    it should be.

    MJ
    mcgyverjones, Jul 23, 2003
  11. Start by remembering this. Those selling the warranty ( really an
    insurance policy) are selling it to make money. It is one of the highest
    profit items they can sell. Often the salesman and these store are making
    over 75% of the price you pay and less than 25% goes to pay repair cost. On
    the average most people who buy them will loose money.

    At a second level however if it is worth the cost to you to feel better,
    then buy it and fell better. However you may want to take a look at what
    they don't cover and maybe you will not fell so good.

    I would not buy it for digital if for no other reason than digital is a
    fast moving technology and buy the time the original warranty is up, the
    camera is not likely to be current technology. I might add that most
    problems with them come up during the warranty period.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 23, 2003
  12. "mcgyverjones" <mcgyverjones(spamout)@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > What will the camera be worth in two years? Is it a no questions asked,
    > exchange at the counter for a new unit deal? I doubt it, but at that price
    > it should be.
    >
    > MJ

    In two years will the same camera even be available? What will they do
    then, offer the owner a "current value" settlement?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Jul 23, 2003
  13. John Wilson

    John Wilson Guest

    Hello all,

    Thank you all for your replies to my initial questions regarding the
    pros/cons of an additional warranty. It turns out that I purchased
    my equipment from another dealer, who too offered a -3- year extended
    warranty, for all of $85... instead of the $450 from my local
    retailer for a 2 year warranty.

    For anyone who's interested, the latter retailer was B&H Photo located
    in NY. I've not ever purchased from them before, but I must say
    that my experience with them, in regard to my Canon 10D purchase
    and related items, was a pleasure.

    Once again, thank you all for your replies and suggestions. It was all
    greatly appreciated.

    - John
    John Wilson, Jul 26, 2003
  14. John Wilson

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Thank you all for your replies to my initial questions regarding the
    > pros/cons of an additional warranty. It turns out that I purchased
    > my equipment from another dealer, who too offered a -3- year extended
    > warranty, for all of $85... instead of the $450 from my local
    > retailer for a 2 year warranty.
    >
    > For anyone who's interested, the latter retailer was B&H Photo located
    > in NY. I've not ever purchased from them before, but I must say
    > that my experience with them, in regard to my Canon 10D purchase
    > and related items, was a pleasure.
    >
    > Once again, thank you all for your replies and suggestions. It was all
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > - John

    B&H is tops. You can't go wrong with them.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jul 28, 2003