    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Sep 30, 2003

  2. ArtKramr wrote:
    > What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner? What?

    I have a 160GB internal hard drive in my computer for my "main" archive.
    Nothing is stored on this drive except pictures. This is backed up
    to a 160GB external firewire/usb drive for onsite storage in case I
    accidently delete files or something silly.

    I also do backups onto DVD+RW and those go offsite.
    Andrew McDonald, Sep 30, 2003

  3. ArtKramr

    Nils Rostedt Guest

    "ArtKramr" wrote ...
    > What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner?

    What?

    Both. A hard disc for quick access and CD-ROMs for archival backup. I just
    added a 120 GB hard disc. Installation was a piece of cake and they are very
    inexpensive nowadays. I suggest you get one with 3 year warranty.

    Nils
    Nils Rostedt, Sep 30, 2003
  4. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Extra hard disc to store digital images?
    >From: Andrew McDonald
    >Date: 9/30/03 9:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >ArtKramr wrote:
    >> What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner?

    >What?
    >
    >I have a 160GB internal hard drive in my computer for my "main" archive.
    > Nothing is stored on this drive except pictures. This is backed up
    >to a 160GB external firewire/usb drive for onsite storage in case I
    >accidently delete files or something silly.
    >
    >I also do backups onto DVD+RW and those go offsite.

    Thank you. Good reply.

    Arthur Kramer
    ArtKramr, Sep 30, 2003
  5. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Extra hard disc to store digital images?
    >From: "Nils Rostedt"
    >Date: 9/30/03 9:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" wrote ...
    >> What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner?

    >What?
    >>

    >Both. A hard disc for quick access and CD-ROMs for archival backup. I just
    >added a 120 GB hard disc. Installation was a piece of cake and they are very
    >inexpensive nowadays. I suggest you get one with 3 year warranty.
    >
    >Nils

    Good idea. Thank you for your prompt reply.

    ArtKramr, Sep 30, 2003
  6. "Nils Rostedt" <> wrote in message

    > "ArtKramr" wrote ...
    > > What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner?

    > I suggest you get one with 3 year warranty.

    Why? If your HDD has crashed and your images have gone, how is the warranty
    going to get them back?

    --
    M Stewart
    Malcolm Stewart, Sep 30, 2003
  7. ArtKramr

    Nils Rostedt Guest

    "Malcolm Stewart" wrote
    > > "ArtKramr" wrote ...
    > > > What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD

    burner?

    > > I suggest you get one with 3 year warranty.

    > Why? If your HDD has crashed and your images have gone, how is the

    warranty
    > going to get them back?

    If it crashes, obviously not.

    But the manufacturer obviously has more trust in the 3 year version,
    therefore I feel safer that it won't crash.

    When I bought the aforementioned HDD, a Hitachi (former IBM) drive I first
    got by mistake a version with only 1 year warranty. I exchanged it for a
    same series HDD with 3 year warranty. The cost difference was only about 10
    dollars. The new HDD is substantially heavier built, so there is apparently
    a reason behind the different warranty periods.

    I also at the time happened to see some rumors about HDDs tending to fail
    just after the warranty expired. Now I have a safer feeling at least ;-)

    Nils
    Nils Rostedt, Sep 30, 2003
  8. ArtKramr

    Lisa Horton Guest

    ArtKramr wrote:

    > What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner? What?

    I've been backing up to CD Rom, but the pictures and projects keep
    growing and it's time consuming to burn CD after CD. I'm going to
    redundant hard disk backup. When I get all the parts gathered, it will
    be:

    120gb external disk for main storage.
    120gb internal disk in my little used desktop for first backup.
    120gb third disk, hot swap internal or external, store in a different
    location

    That way, backups take very little time, are immediately accessible, and
    it would take three hard disk failures at the same time to lose data,
    and that's not very likely.

    I'll probably end up backing up to DVD-R as well.

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Sep 30, 2003
  9. ArtKramr

    Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:53:54 +0100, "Malcolm Stewart"
    <> wrote:

    >"Nils Rostedt" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ArtKramr" wrote ...
    >> > What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner?

    >> I suggest you get one with 3 year warranty.

    >Why? If your HDD has crashed and your images have gone, how is the warranty
    >going to get them back?

    Don't ever think that mechanical failure of a drive is the only way to
    lose pictures. Earlier this year after nothing more than a normal
    bootup I found a complete drive of photos wiped clean and unformatted.
    Fortunately I'd copied it on to a removeable drive a couple of days
    previously (as well as having backups on cd, but not quite so up to
    date). This was the start of a period of multiple and various hardware
    problems eventually leading to a motherboard replacement.

    But I don't trust cds (and now dvds) either since having a batch of 10
    known brand name discs become unreadable over a period of a year. So
    now I always burn on to two different brands.

    MJ
    , Sep 30, 2003
  10. ArtKramr

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On 30 Sep 2003 16:14:46 GMT, (ArtKramr) found these
    unused words floating about:

    >What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner? What?
    >

    >Arthur Kramer
    >344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    >Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    Camera to internal 160 GB 'storage' and workarea.
    Computer has a 40 GB for porgrams, etc.
    Images weeded and 'contact sheet' made.
    Filed onto CDR - 'master and working' discs ('untouched')

    Worked images and projects also stored onto external 160 Maxtor USB.
    Final projects burned to CDR.
    Work area 'cleared' of extra variations and tests periodically.

    Contact sheets (when enough) onto CDR separately as off-line resource.
    J. A. Mc., Sep 30, 2003
  11. ArtKramr

    Bowser Guest

    I use the HD only for temporary storage. HD will crash, eventually. It's a
    gaurantee. When I accumulate enough to fill a DVD-R disc, I burn the DVD,
    and then catalog the DVD using Extensis Portfolio, which creates an image
    library that very searchable, and customizable. I also copy the DVD for
    off-site storage.

    I was using CD-R, but burning all the time got old fast.

    Bowser, Oct 1, 2003
  12. ArtKramr

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:37:48 +0100, wrote:

    > Don't ever think that mechanical failure of a drive is the only way to
    > lose pictures.

    Amen to that. Some months ago I got my first digital camera, a Nikon
    CoolPix 5000. I've been using it mostly for snaps (though I've now sold
    several shots to magazines take with it). I won't bore you with the
    details, but I've been revamping my IT setup, with my main machine moving
    to Linux. So I was having CD-writing issues for a while and hadn't got
    around to installing backup systems. For the time being, I was storing the
    digital images temporarily on a Jaz cart (some people will be raising their
    eyebrows and saying "oh-oh" at this point). My intention was to write them
    to CDs (two sets) at some point when I'd finished messing with the IT
    setup.

    One day, I had trouble opening some files on the Jaz while running Linux.
    To check, I rebooted the machine under WinXP and went off to get a drink.
    When I got back, I found that Windows had automatically run a chkdsk. On
    the screen was a window saying something along the lines of: "We found a
    folder with some problems - but don't worry, we fixed the problem - we
    deleted the directory! Aren't we clever?". Several months worth of digital
    images - gone.

    Well, not quite. I immediately removed the Jaz cart and put it in a safe
    place while I bought and downloaded a copy of OnTrack Data Recovery. With
    that, I managed to get hundreds of files back - probably about 70% of what
    was on the cart and, luckily, about 95% of the really important pictures. I
    really fixed the CD-writing problem fast after that.

    I now have a new photo library machine (alas running WinXP because Linux
    doesn't offer the kinds of programs I need for photo stuff). This has a
    120Gb drive. After a photo session, I write all the files from the camera
    to two CDs plus the hard drive. Pictures I select to go into the library
    get the same treatment (so there are, effectively, six copies of such
    images on five media). I'm planning to get an external hard drive to mirror
    the internal one, and am also seriously looking at RAID systems.
    Steve, Oct 1, 2003
  13. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > But I don't trust cds (and now dvds) either since having a batch of 10
    > known brand name discs become unreadable over a period of a year. So
    > now I always burn on to two different brands.

    Care to mention the brand?

    Hardman Knott
    Hardman Knott, Oct 1, 2003
  14. ArtKramr

    JIM Guest

    "Hardman Knott" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >

    > > But I don't trust cds (and now dvds) either since having a batch of 10
    > > known brand name discs become unreadable over a period of a year. So
    > > now I always burn on to two different brands.

    > Care to mention the brand?

    Yea, particularly the brand of the batch of 10 that failed.

    Jim
    JIM, Oct 1, 2003
  15. ArtKramr

    Jankins Guest

    I'm in the business - the IBM 7,200 drives ranging from 15GB to 60GB *ALL*
    failed within or just outside of the warranty period. 40+ drives - 10
    different batches. There is apparently now a firmware upgrade for those
    drives available. We haven't tried it as we replaced all those drives with
    Western Digital.

    On a side note, we were the first company to report a failed Western Digital
    Serial drive failure - figure out of thousands if not tens of thousands. .
    ..we have about 30 of these out in customer computers with no reports. The
    one that failed was on our internal very high-end server. . .damn the luck
    (RAID 5, but still a PITA).

    Dan

    Jankins, Oct 1, 2003
  16. In article <>,
    " Jankins" <> wrote:

    > I'm in the business - the IBM 7,200 drives ranging from 15GB to 60GB *ALL*
    > failed within or just outside of the warranty period. 40+ drives - 10
    > different batches. There is apparently now a firmware upgrade for those
    > drives available. We haven't tried it as we replaced all those drives with
    > Western Digital.
    >
    > On a side note, we were the first company to report a failed Western Digital
    > Serial drive failure - figure out of thousands if not tens of thousands. .
    > .we have about 30 of these out in customer computers with no reports. The
    > one that failed was on our internal very high-end server. . .damn the luck
    > (RAID 5, but still a PITA).
    >
    > Dan

    Again -- what brand of CDRs have had failures?

    Hardman Knott
    Hardman Knott, Oct 1, 2003
  17. ArtKramr

    Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:52:58 GMT, Hardman Knott
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >wrote:
    >

    >> But I don't trust cds (and now dvds) either since having a batch of 10
    >> known brand name discs become unreadable over a period of a year. So
    >> now I always burn on to two different brands.

    >Care to mention the brand?
    >
    >Hardman Knott

    Samsung

    MJ
    , Oct 2, 2003
  18. ArtKramr

    Guest

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:29:19 GMT, "JIM" <>
    wrote:

    >"Hardman Knott" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> > But I don't trust cds (and now dvds) either since having a batch of 10
    >> > known brand name discs become unreadable over a period of a year. So
    >> > now I always burn on to two different brands.

    >> Care to mention the brand?

    >Yea, particularly the brand of the batch of 10 that failed.
    >
    >Jim

    Samsung, but I can't remember anything more specific than that - it
    was around 3 years ago. It took me several evenings trying to read
    them to pull the pictures and other stuff off, switching between 3 cd
    drives. Some were taking 2 or 3 hours to read. Only 1 out of the 10
    was a total loss. I had more on this brand which were ok but
    nevertheless, obviously, I copied them.

    MJ
    , Oct 2, 2003
  19. ArtKramr

    Stewy Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner?

    What?

    No media is 100% safe. CDRs get trodden on, dropped or toasted in the sun.
    Hard-drives can last anywhere from 3 months to around 5 years.
    Backing up on CDR or DVDR, then re-organizing on CDR/DVDR is the cheapest
    way, however if you have an external HDD too, access will be faster.
    Stewy, Oct 2, 2003
  20. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Extra hard disc to store digital images?
    >From: "Stewy"
    >Date: 10/2/03 7:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the best way to store digital imgaes? Extra hard disc? CD burner?

    >What?
    >>

    >No media is 100% safe. CDRs get trodden on, dropped or toasted in the sun.
    >Hard-drives can last anywhere from 3 months to around 5 years.
    >Backing up on CDR or DVDR, then re-organizing on CDR/DVDR is the cheapest
    >way, however if you have an external HDD too, access will be faster.

    Thank you.

    ArtKramr, Oct 2, 2003