External USB Hard drive help required

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by A, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. A

    A Guest

    I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.

    Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.

    However I've noticed a couple of things:

    1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    there's no files on the HDD

    2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    detect it.

    This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.

    I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
    be ok.

    Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.
    A, Feb 2, 2006

  2. A

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:52:49 +1300, A <> wrote:

    >I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    >The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    >think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
    >
    >Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
    >
    >However I've noticed a couple of things:
    >
    >1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    >there's no files on the HDD
    >
    >2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    >comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    >FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    >from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    >detect it.
    >
    >This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
    >
    >I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
    >be ok.
    >
    >Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    >back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    >chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    How big are your files, and what file system are you using on the drive?
    I'd guess seeing as Win ME can access the drive you're using FAT.
    If the files are larger than 4gb and you're using Fat32 or Fat16 then that may
    be your problem.

    Try using NTFS.
    Craig Shore, Feb 2, 2006

  3. A

    Rider Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message

    > I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    > The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    > think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
    >
    > Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
    >
    > However I've noticed a couple of things:
    >
    > 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    > there's no files on the HDD
    >
    > 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    > comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    > FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    > from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    > detect it.
    >
    > This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
    >
    > I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
    > be ok.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    > back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    > chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    The joys of trying to save a couple of bucks by buying offshore.

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 2, 2006
  4. "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "A" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    >> The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    >> think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
    >>
    >> Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
    >>
    >> However I've noticed a couple of things:
    >>
    >> 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    >> there's no files on the HDD
    >>
    >> 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    >> comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    >> FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    >> from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    >> detect it.
    >>
    >> This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
    >>
    >> I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
    >> be ok.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    >> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    >> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.
    >>

    > The joys of trying to save a couple of bucks by buying offshore.
    >
    > Rider

    i've imported lots of times, and saved thousands. The joy of spending that
    extra cash rather than the local distributor :)
    news.xtra.co.nz, Feb 2, 2006
  5. A

    EMB Guest

    A wrote:

    > Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    > back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    > chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    Try setting the drives to CS or MASTER - different cases seem to have
    different requirements in this way.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 2, 2006
  6. A

    MarkH Guest

    A <> wrote in news::

    > I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    > The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    > think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
    >
    > Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
    >
    > However I've noticed a couple of things:
    >
    > 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    > there's no files on the HDD
    >
    > 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    > comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    > FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    > from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    > detect it.
    >
    > This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
    >
    > I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
    > be ok.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    > back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    > chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
    enclosure like this one: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2
    This is a well made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought
    for myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have yet
    to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).

    I have also come across people who have bought a cheap enclosure locally
    and then had problems. But you tend to get that with cheap junk.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Feb 2, 2006
  7. A

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > A <> wrote in
    >

    >> I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    >> The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    >> think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
    >>
    >> Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
    >>
    >> However I've noticed a couple of things:
    >>
    >> 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    >> there's no files on the HDD
    >>
    >> 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    >> comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    >> FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    >> from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    >> detect it.
    >>
    >> This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
    >>
    >> I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems
    >> to be ok.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    >> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    >> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    > My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
    > enclosure like this one:
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2 This is a well
    > made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought for
    > myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have yet
    > to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).
    >
    > I have also come across people who have bought a cheap enclosure
    > locally and then had problems. But you tend to get that with cheap
    > junk.

    I've seen that enclosure pictured many times but it's always the same
    picture. I don't have any luck with the manufacturers link on that page,
    perhaps you can tell me; Does it have little feet? I'm thinking of heat
    dispersion / airflow around the case. I know how hot modern HDDs can get,
    especially in summer.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006
  8. A wrote:
    > I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    > The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    > think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
    >
    > Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
    >
    > However I've noticed a couple of things:
    >
    > 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    > there's no files on the HDD

    Are the files in the "Recycle Bin" ?

    > 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    > comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    > FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    > from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    > detect it.
    >
    > This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
    >
    > I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
    > be ok.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    > back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    > chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    I'd guess the drive/case want's more power than is available from your USB
    ports. Are there other USB devices you can disconnect ? Can you power the
    drives externally rather than through the USB port ?
    Mark Robinson, Feb 3, 2006
  9. A

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:17:35 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    >> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    >> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    > I'd guess the drive/case want's more power than is available from your USB
    > ports. Are there other USB devices you can disconnect ? Can you power the
    > drives externally rather than through the USB port ?

    Good point. I have read some place where the USB power supply is
    struggling to supply the power needed to drive a 3.5" HD. The ones i have
    seen all have been supplied with an external power supply. They work well
    like this.
    Gordon, Feb 3, 2006
  10. A

    MarkH Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:17:35 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    >>> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    >>> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    >> I'd guess the drive/case want's more power than is available from
    >> your USB ports. Are there other USB devices you can disconnect ? Can
    >> you power the drives externally rather than through the USB port ?

    > Good point. I have read some place where the USB power supply is
    > struggling to supply the power needed to drive a 3.5" HD. The ones i
    > have seen all have been supplied with an external power supply. They
    > work well like this.

    Since a 3.5" drive needs 12V + 5V and the USB port can only supply 5V I
    don't know of any 3.5" HDD enclosure that can power the drive from the USB
    port.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Feb 3, 2006
  11. A

    MarkH Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >> My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
    >> enclosure like this one:
    >> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2 This is a well
    >> made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought for
    >> myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have yet
    >> to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).
    >>

    > I've seen that enclosure pictured many times but it's always the same
    > picture. I don't have any luck with the manufacturers link on that
    > page, perhaps you can tell me; Does it have little feet? I'm thinking
    > of heat dispersion / airflow around the case. I know how hot modern
    > HDDs can get, especially in summer.

    It has 4 tiny rubber feet. If you want more airflow then it would be a
    trivial matter to get some larger self adhesive rubber feet.

    The construction is from a substantial chunk of aluminium which acts as a
    reasonable heatsink.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Feb 3, 2006
  12. A

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:16:34 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > MarkH wrote:

    >> My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
    >> enclosure like this one:
    >> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2 This is a well
    >> made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought for
    >> myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have yet
    >> to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).
    >>
    >> I have also come across people who have bought a cheap enclosure
    >> locally and then had problems. But you tend to get that with cheap
    >> junk.

    > I've seen that enclosure pictured many times but it's always the same
    > picture. I don't have any luck with the manufacturers link on that page,
    > perhaps you can tell me; Does it have little feet? I'm thinking of heat
    > dispersion / airflow around the case. I know how hot modern HDDs can get,
    > especially in summer.

    While placing the unit vertically will help disapate the heat, I would
    suggest that misfits concern is not a problem. To put another way the HD
    in the enclosure is not worse off than it is in a typical PC case.

    If the HD is mounted onto/between a metal surface which is a good heat
    sink then most of the heat will be disappated this way. Think of the spark
    plug in the internal combustion engine. It sinks it heat into the engine
    block it is screwed into. Air cooling is secondary.
    Gordon, Feb 3, 2006
  13. A

    A Guest

    On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:57:56 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >The joys of trying to save a couple of bucks by buying offshore.
    >
    >Rider

    You win some and you lose some. I'm well up overall but I generally
    stick to low value items. These days though its probably cheaper to
    buy off trademe.
    A, Feb 3, 2006
  14. A

    A Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 22:07:56 +1300, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >How big are your files, and what file system are you using on the drive?
    >I'd guess seeing as Win ME can access the drive you're using FAT.
    >If the files are larger than 4gb and you're using Fat32 or Fat16 then that may
    >be your problem.
    >
    >Try using NTFS.

    The external drive is running FAT32. Files are 300MB and stop after
    around 100MB.

    Seems its a victim of the Delayed Write Failed error which seems to be
    a fairly common problem but with a large number of possible causes.

    I did find one website (which I've since lost) which talked about the
    cheap USB2 chips that these external drives use that cause problems
    but it had more of a Linux bent to the article.
    A, Feb 3, 2006
  15. A wrote:
    > The external drive is running FAT32. Files are 300MB and stop after
    > around 100MB.
    >
    > Seems its a victim of the Delayed Write Failed error which seems to be
    > a fairly common problem but with a large number of possible causes.
    >
    > I did find one website (which I've since lost) which talked about the
    > cheap USB2 chips that these external drives use that cause problems
    > but it had more of a Linux bent to the article.

    Perhaps it would be worth disabling write caching.
    Mark Robinson, Feb 3, 2006
  16. A

    ~misfit~ Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> MarkH wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
    >>> enclosure like this one:
    >>> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2 This is a well
    >>> made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought for
    >>> myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have
    >>> yet to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).
    >>>

    >> I've seen that enclosure pictured many times but it's always the same
    >> picture. I don't have any luck with the manufacturers link on that
    >> page, perhaps you can tell me; Does it have little feet? I'm thinking
    >> of heat dispersion / airflow around the case. I know how hot modern
    >> HDDs can get, especially in summer.

    > It has 4 tiny rubber feet. If you want more airflow then it would be
    > a trivial matter to get some larger self adhesive rubber feet.

    Ok, yeah, bigger ones sound better.

    > The construction is from a substantial chunk of aluminium which acts
    > as a reasonable heatsink.

    Ahuh. However a heatsink is only as good as it's ability to lose the heat it
    absorbs. If there isn't good airflow around the enclosure it's not going to
    take that long to reach close to the same temp as the drive if used for any
    length of time. Then it'll start to act as an insulator.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  17. A

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:16:34 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> MarkH wrote:

    >>> My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
    >>> enclosure like this one:
    >>> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2 This is a well
    >>> made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought for
    >>> myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have
    >>> yet to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).
    >>>
    >>> I have also come across people who have bought a cheap enclosure
    >>> locally and then had problems. But you tend to get that with cheap
    >>> junk.

    >> I've seen that enclosure pictured many times but it's always the same
    >> picture. I don't have any luck with the manufacturers link on that
    >> page, perhaps you can tell me; Does it have little feet? I'm
    >> thinking of heat dispersion / airflow around the case. I know how
    >> hot modern HDDs can get, especially in summer.

    > While placing the unit vertically will help disapate the heat, I would
    > suggest that misfits concern is not a problem. To put another way the
    > HD in the enclosure is not worse off than it is in a typical PC case.

    What is a typical PC case? Most typical PC cases I see that today, designed
    to use modern, heat-producing HDDs have fans or mountings for fans to cool
    the HDD/s. All my 7,200 rpm drives are fan cooled and the only one I've seen
    in a PC recently that wasn't failed very quickly.

    > If the HD is mounted onto/between a metal surface which is a good heat
    > sink then most of the heat will be disappated this way. Think of the
    > spark plug in the internal combustion engine. It sinks it heat into
    > the engine block it is screwed into. Air cooling is secondary.

    And the engine block is then cooled by a water jacket and radiator. Without
    that cooling it would eventually reach a similar temperature to the
    sparkplug. Hence my question about the enclosure and how well it loses heat.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  18. A

    Rob J Guest

    In article <POBEf.455884$>,
    says...
    > Gordon <> wrote in
    >
    > > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:17:35 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:
    > >
    > >> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    > >>
    > >> I'd guess the drive/case want's more power than is available from
    > >> your USB ports. Are there other USB devices you can disconnect ? Can
    > >> you power the drives externally rather than through the USB port ?

    > > Good point. I have read some place where the USB power supply is
    > > struggling to supply the power needed to drive a 3.5" HD. The ones i
    > > have seen all have been supplied with an external power supply. They
    > > work well like this.

    > Since a 3.5" drive needs 12V + 5V and the USB port can only supply 5V I
    > don't know of any 3.5" HDD enclosure that can power the drive from the USB
    > port.

    Electronics can step up the voltage but the current limitation could be
    a problem.
    Rob J, Feb 4, 2006
  19. A

    thingy Guest

    A wrote:
    > I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
    > The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
    > think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
    >
    > Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
    >
    > However I've noticed a couple of things:
    >
    > 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
    > there's no files on the HDD
    >
    > 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
    > comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
    > FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
    > from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
    > detect it.
    >
    > This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
    >
    > I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
    > be ok.
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
    > back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
    > chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

    My experiense with external "no-brand" usb drives is poor, do they have
    a firewire connection? if so buy a dse firewire card for $35...

    I would suggest you get a seagate ext firewire/usb2 drive as a
    set....more reliable....works with Macs, Linux and win2k.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Feb 4, 2006