    Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)

    USB External drive any recommendations?

    maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?

    Craig Sutton, Nov 5, 2008

  2. In message <gerqeb$v23$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)

    How about automatically copying stuff to a server volume over the network?

    > USB External drive any recommendations?

    Get an enclosure, put in a drive of your choice.

    > maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?

    USB is the present, eSATA seems to be the future, not sure there's much need
    for FireWire in this case.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2008

  3. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > In message <gerqeb$v23$>, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)

    > How about automatically copying stuff to a server volume over the network?

    Its only the one pc being backed up

    >> USB External drive any recommendations?

    > Get an enclosure, put in a drive of your choice.

    any recommendation? model brand etc.

    How about units such as the seagate Freeagent?

    Craig Sutton, Nov 5, 2008
  4. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Sutton" typed:
    >>> USB External drive any recommendations?

    > any recommendation? model brand etc.
    >
    > How about units such as the seagate Freeagent?

    From what I hear through the grapevine the Seagate FreeAgent external drives
    aren't very good, especially when it comes to eSATA inplimentation. Current
    wisdom seems to be that putting a Seagate drive into a Vantec NexStar 3
    enclosure http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345450 is
    about the best setup. I have a NexStar 3 sitting in my "Shopping cart" at
    Ascent, just waiting for the funds to buy it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2008
  5. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Sutton" typed:

    >> any recommendation? model brand etc.
    >>
    >> How about units such as the seagate Freeagent?

    > From what I hear through the grapevine the Seagate FreeAgent external
    > drives aren't very good, especially when it comes to eSATA inplimentation.
    > Current wisdom seems to be that putting a Seagate drive into a Vantec
    > NexStar 3 enclosure
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345450 is about
    > the best setup. I have a NexStar 3 sitting in my "Shopping cart" at
    > Ascent, just waiting for the funds to buy it.

    That sounds good is there a model that also has ethernet?
    USB2/Esata/Ethernet would be ultimate without going into the OMG price
    range.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 5, 2008
  6. Craig Sutton

    EMB Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)
    >
    > USB External drive any recommendations?
    >
    > maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?

    An ethernet attached one so it can be left physically remote from the
    machine being backed up.

    EMB, Nov 5, 2008
  7. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:4911e8bb$...
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >> Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)
    >>
    >> USB External drive any recommendations?
    >>
    >> maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?
    >>

    > An ethernet attached one so it can be left physically remote from the
    > machine being backed up.

    Yes handy but most likely device would be removed from the premises daily.

    I think I see one at pp.co.nz with USB and Ethernet but no Esata?

    more looking required..

    Craig Sutton, Nov 5, 2008
  8. In message <ges0ch$3b3$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > USB2/Esata/Ethernet would be ultimate without going into the OMG price
    > range.

    Ethernet would require some kind of network protocol--now you're talking a
    NAS device, not just an external hard drive.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2008
  9. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <gerqeb$v23$>,
    says...
    > Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)
    >
    > USB External drive any recommendations?
    >
    > maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?

    I think your choice between a removable USB notebook drive vs. 3.5"
    (normal) drive based USB device, is their respective capacity - and how
    much data you have to backup.

    IMO, you need at bare minimum, two of - so you are rotating the media at
    least once.

    Don't forget your capacity requirements on the drives might depend on
    any decision to store "a few backups" on each device (ie not just one
    (day's) worth).

    I've had no problems with a number of manufactures - they've all worked,
    and worked well - using backup s/w such as ntbackup and image based
    products (Paragon Drive Backup and Acronis True Image).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 5, 2008
  10. Craig Sutton

    John Little Guest

    On Nov 5, 10:56 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    > Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)

    You imply a hard disc backup, daily. This has the obvious flaw that
    if you screw your data one day, but only discover the fact the next,
    you may have overwritten the backup you need.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 5, 2008
  11. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Dave Doe" typed:
    > In article <gerqeb$v23$>,
    > says...
    >> Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)
    >>
    >> USB External drive any recommendations?
    >>
    >> maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?

    > I think your choice between a removable USB notebook drive vs. 3.5"
    > (normal) drive based USB device, is their respective capacity - and
    > how much data you have to backup.
    >
    > IMO, you need at bare minimum, two of - so you are rotating the media
    > at least once.

    In that case, the cheapest option would be the Vantec NexStar Hard Drive
    Dock:

    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=364933
    http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/295

    Not as elegant as the Nexstar 3 but, as long as you're not completely
    ham-fisted, you can buy (relatively) cheap desktop (or laptop) HDDs and drop
    them in the dock / rotate as needed. Just get a few of those plastic
    clamshell HDD protectors (or something similar) to keep the HDDs in while
    they're not docked.

    Of course, use Seagate HDDs for the 5 year warranty and reliability.

    From memory I believe that Thermaltake (?) make a similar dock.

    <google google>

    Yep:
    http://www.everythingusb.com/thermaltake-blacx-se-usb-hard-drive-dock-15530.html
    Has the benefit of a USB hub built-in but no eSATA connection. I think that
    the added speed of eSATA would be appreciated after a few backups.

    (I've considered the NexStar Dock myself but, for my more permanent needs, I
    wouldn't be happy unless I mounted a fan on the side / back of it and that
    could get ugly. For "copy and carry" backups on a budget it'd be great
    though.)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2008
  12. In message
    <>, John
    Little wrote:

    > This has the obvious flaw that if you screw your data one day, but only
    > discover the fact the next, you may have overwritten the backup you need.

    For any document where you need to keep different versions, use a
    version-control system.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2008
  13. Craig Sutton

    Mutlley Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <gerqeb$v23$>,
    >says...
    >> Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)
    >>
    >> USB External drive any recommendations?
    >>
    >> maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?

    >I think your choice between a removable USB notebook drive vs. 3.5"
    >(normal) drive based USB device, is their respective capacity - and how
    >much data you have to backup.
    >
    >IMO, you need at bare minimum, two of - so you are rotating the media at
    >least once.
    >
    >Don't forget your capacity requirements on the drives might depend on
    >any decision to store "a few backups" on each device (ie not just one
    >(day's) worth).
    >
    >I've had no problems with a number of manufactures - they've all worked,
    >and worked well - using backup s/w such as ntbackup and image based
    >products (Paragon Drive Backup and Acronis True Image).

    I have found that not all external USB drives are equal. I have one
    here that works fine when Windows is running but if I use a Ghost or
    Acronis boot disk they will not recognize the drive so you can't
    restore your image backup.. . Another external drive works fine..

    Mutlley, Nov 5, 2008
  14. In message <>, Mutlley wrote:

    > I have found that not all external USB drives are equal. I have one
    > here that works fine when Windows is running but if I use a Ghost or
    > Acronis boot disk they will not recognize the drive so you can't
    > restore your image backup.. . Another external drive works fine..

    I believe the Acronis boot disc, at least, is Linux-based. Any way to get a
    command line on the thing? Then you can try commands like lsusb, check the
    contents of /sys/block etc to figure out what's going on.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2008
  15. Craig Sutton

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, mutley2000
    @hotmail.com says...
    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <gerqeb$v23$>,
    > >says...
    > >> Looking for best the way to back up an office machine.(daily)
    > >>
    > >> USB External drive any recommendations?
    > >>
    > >> maybe something with future options Esata, Firewire?

    > >I think your choice between a removable USB notebook drive vs. 3.5"
    > >(normal) drive based USB device, is their respective capacity - and how
    > >much data you have to backup.
    > >
    > >IMO, you need at bare minimum, two of - so you are rotating the media at
    > >least once.
    > >
    > >Don't forget your capacity requirements on the drives might depend on
    > >any decision to store "a few backups" on each device (ie not just one
    > >(day's) worth).
    > >
    > >I've had no problems with a number of manufactures - they've all worked,
    > >and worked well - using backup s/w such as ntbackup and image based
    > >products (Paragon Drive Backup and Acronis True Image).

    > I have found that not all external USB drives are equal. I have one
    > here that works fine when Windows is running but if I use a Ghost or
    > Acronis boot disk they will not recognize the drive so you can't
    > restore your image backup.. . Another external drive works fine..

    Indeed that probably depends on the "USB capability" of the device,
    however I've (personally anyway) not come across any that are *not*
    recognised at post BIOS boot (maybe check yer BIOS options for USB
    compatability modes that you can change and re-check for the drive
    visibility).

    Brings up another caveat I think, re USB drive devices - yer need to buy
    what you need pretty much straight off. In a year's time, may not be
    able to add the same devices. So... yer get anothe manufacturer, and
    guess what, it shows up as a different drive letter when you plug it in,
    and yer backup is effectively broken. (Yes I've tried re-assigning the
    "old" drive letter via Disk Managment - it doesn's "stick" :( Short of
    it, throw away the drives and go with a set of new ones.

    Maybe other things to consider:
    * the 3.5" drives in an enclosure don't exactly fit in yer pocket! or
    even the admin girl's handbag (unless it's a good size one).
    * the 3.5" drives are (AFAIK) externally powered (not quite as
    conventient as powering off the 2nd USB port per most notebook (2.5"
    drives). That said, you need *two* spare USB ports for most 2.5" USB
    drives (though plenty of externally powered ones are available).
    * and an important point (IMO): the notebook drives can take a knock or
    two - they are way more robust than yer 3.5" drives. If you have to go
    for a big drive (eg 750Gb) and think 3.5" is the your best option,
    handle them like glass!

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 6, 2008
  16. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "oneofus" <> wrote in message news:4911fdcd$...
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> "EMB" <> wrote in message

    >>> An ethernet attached one so it can be left physically remote from the
    >>> machine being backed up.

    >> Yes handy but most likely device would be removed from the premises
    >> daily.
    >>
    >> I think I see one at pp.co.nz with USB and Ethernet but no Esata?
    >>
    >> more looking required..
    >>

    > How much do you need to back up ?

    The current machine only has an 80 gig hd but new pc is coming. Which will
    probably have a 500 gig as standard.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 6, 2008
  17. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > In message <ges0ch$3b3$>, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >
    >> USB2/Esata/Ethernet would be ultimate without going into the OMG price
    >> range.

    > Ethernet would require some kind of network protocol--now you're talking a
    > NAS device, not just an external hard drive.

    There are actually 2 other pcs already networked they are old "clunkers" and
    don't have anything that needs backing up as yet but eventually they will
    also be replaced.

    Craig Sutton, Nov 6, 2008
  18. In message <geu8eu$dm2$>, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > There are actually 2 other pcs already networked they are old "clunkers"
    > and don't have anything that needs backing up as yet but eventually they
    > will also be replaced.

    Why not turn one of them into the backup server?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008
  19. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > As listed on DSE..
    >
    > Seagate FreeAgent PRO 500GB External Hard Drive

    Nice to see you recommending Linux, for a change. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2008
  20. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "ofn01" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Craig Sutton" typed:
    >>>
    >>> any recommendation? model brand etc.
    >>>
    >>> How about units such as the seagate Freeagent?

    >> From what I hear through the grapevine the Seagate FreeAgent external
    >> drives aren't very good, especially when it comes to eSATA
    >> inplimentation. Current wisdom seems to be that putting a Seagate
    >> drive into a Vantec NexStar 3 enclosure
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=345450 is
    >> about the best setup. I have a NexStar 3 sitting in my "Shopping
    >> cart" at Ascent, just waiting for the funds to buy it.

    > This is what I discovered when exploring the options. The FreeAgents
    > tend to overheat & also have flakey esata from the reviews I've seen
    > - though more recent ones are better - just look through newegg,
    > amazon, amazon.co.uk etc. to get an idea.
    >
    > I have two Nexstar 3's with seagate drives in them (leaving the
    > little grey SATAI jumper on, based on reviews) and connect via ESATA
    > with the AHCI drivers loaded. I use Vistas built in pc backup (which
    > I've tested restoring from) but Acronis True Image might be more your
    > thing.

    It seems that we both reached the same conclusions. They say fools seldom
    differ. -)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.