    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    http://www.nrkn.com/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Nik Coughin, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Nik Coughin wrote:
    > I am thinking about getting a TV tuner for my laptop, probably an external
    > USB one at this point. Have done a little Googling but was interested in
    > hearing about people's personal experiences, recommendations etc.

    make sure it is a USB2 one, as the USB1 are limited by the available
    bandwidth. Other than that, I'd be interested in what you end up with
    once you get it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    JohnO Guest

    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am thinking about getting a TV tuner for my laptop, probably an external
    > USB one at this point. Have done a little Googling but was interested in
    > hearing about people's personal experiences, recommendations etc.
    >
    > Thanks heaps,
    >
    > Nik Coughlin
    > --
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    > http://www.nrkn.com/
    > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

    I've got a Pinnacle PCTV Pro external USB2 one. It's areally nice unit, and
    does onboard hardware MPEG2 encoding. You can specify capture quality,
    resolution, format etc and it comes with the usual software for
    timeshifting, scheduled recording etc.

    However the unit has become unreliable. It seems to hang after operating of
    a period of time - say half an hour or so. It never used to do this so I'm a
    bit mystified and pissed off with it now.
    JohnO, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Nik Coughin

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "JohnO" <> wrote in

    > However the unit has become unreliable. It seems to hang after
    > operating of a period of time - say half an hour or so. It never used
    > to do this so I'm a bit mystified and pissed off with it now.

    Usual symptom of heat. Don't put it on top of your monitor. :)

    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Nik Coughin

    JohnO Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "JohnO" <> wrote in
    >
    > > However the unit has become unreliable. It seems to hang after
    > > operating of a period of time - say half an hour or so. It never used
    > > to do this so I'm a bit mystified and pissed off with it now.
    > >

    > Usual symptom of heat. Don't put it on top of your monitor. :)
    >
    > Ciao, Dave

    Yeah, I figured on heat too so made sure it had air all around it but still
    has the problem. Might have to put it next to a fan!
    JohnO, Jun 2, 2004