External storage media and thoughts on back-ups

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Breedo, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Breedo

    Breedo Guest

    I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to back-up
    client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
    burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options that
    would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's speed,
    so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage device
    speeds compare to internal burners in general?

    Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on older
    machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
    figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
    issues.

    For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do you
    typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues with
    older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a burner
    (or an old, slow one)? What do you do?

    Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    -Breedo_
    Breedo, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Breedo

    Cndrakes Guest

    Breedo wrote:
    > I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to back-up
    > client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
    > burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options that
    > would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's speed,
    > so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage device
    > speeds compare to internal burners in general?
    >
    > Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on older
    > machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
    > figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
    > issues.
    >
    > For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do you
    > typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues with
    > older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a burner
    > (or an old, slow one)? What do you do?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    > -Breedo_

    I hope this will help: on older machines I use a maxtor 120g external HD
    with Pci and Firewire connections. I either use a serial to usb adapter
    or use a pci firewire card or pci usb card transfer of files is quick
    even on older machines I did find a isa card a while ago with 1 usb slot on
    Cndrakes, Jul 23, 2005

  3. Breedo

    Breedo Guest

    "Cndrakes" <> wrote in message
    > Breedo wrote:
    > > I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to

    back-up
    > > client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
    > > burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options

    that
    > > would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's

    speed,
    > > so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage

    device
    > > speeds compare to internal burners in general?
    > >
    > > Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on

    older
    > > machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
    > > figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
    > > issues.
    > >
    > > For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do

    you
    > > typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues

    with
    > > older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a

    burner
    > > (or an old, slow one)? What do you do?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    > > -Breedo_
    > >

    > I hope this will help: on older machines I use a maxtor 120g external HD
    > with Pci and Firewire connections. I either use a serial to usb adapter
    > or use a pci firewire card or pci usb card transfer of files is quick
    > even on older machines I did find a isa card a while ago with 1 usb slot

    on

    So you're adding the firewire or usb connections by inserting a pci card
    into the persons machine, right? Any issues with installing drivers? How
    comfortable are your clients with you installing the card into their system?
    If you're going inside their machine and adding something, would it be any
    faster/better/more efficient to just have an extra internal HD that you
    could temporarily install?

    Thanks for your input! Just trying to look at this from all angles and pick
    your brains a bit :)
    -Breedo_
    Breedo, Jul 23, 2005
  4. Breedo

    Andrew Tang Guest

    While it not be an acceptable media for archival purposes, rewritable media
    does serve well for daily (or weekly) backups. They are generally rated for
    up to 1,000 writes and therefore cost effective and environmentally
    friendly. Heat is the biggest cause of deterioration so store them
    accordingly especially when used for mid term data storage.

    I personally would go for USB 2.0 external DVD with DVD RW media (5540
    kbyte/second nominal at 4x).

    Andrew Tang, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Breedo

    Pat Guest

    Breedo wrote:
    > I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to back-up
    > client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
    > burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options that
    > would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's speed,
    > so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage device
    > speeds compare to internal burners in general?
    >
    > Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on older
    > machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
    > figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
    > issues.
    >
    > For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do you
    > typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues with
    > older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a burner
    > (or an old, slow one)? What do you do?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    > -Breedo_

    I'd just get an external hard drive enclosure with USB 2.0. If for some
    reason they don't have USB, just take the hard drive out and hook it up
    internally.

    It sounds like all you're doing is temporary "backups" for customer's
    data if they need to have Windows reinstalled or just to be on the safe
    side, so I don't see the point in doing anything complicated like tape
    backups.
    Pat, Jul 23, 2005