    [1] http://www.barefeats.com/hard43.html

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Jan 14, 2005

  2. Asus http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/overview.htm offer a
    2 port SATA extension module which goes in an empty expansion card slot.

    It allows standard SATA drives to be connected externally. Illustration is
    in A8N-SLI Deluxe manual.

    --
    Jonah

    Sleepless in Seattle, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Mike

    JD Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as an "external SATA hard drive" without using an
    > external drive enclosure? I am looking for an external hard drive, much
    > like an external firewire drive, that uses SATA rather than firewire. Is
    > there such a hard drive? or would I have to buy an enclosure (such as
    > the Seritek 1EN2 [1]) to allow for this kind of setup?
    >
    > You see, I like the hot swappable, plug and play, and the portability
    > characteristics (as offered by firewire devices) but I also like the
    > faster speed of SATA. Is there such a drive that combines all of these
    > advantages without having to use an enclosure? I guess it could be
    > called a "hot swappable external SATA portable hard drive".
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > [1] http://www.barefeats.com/hard43.html

    IcyBox make a hard drive enclosure that takes the S-ATA interface
    however this will make no difference really as it will still connect Via
    USB or FireWire so the transfer speed will be According to USB or
    FireWire type that you chose.

    S-ATA connectors are inside the pc on an adapter card or the motherboard
    itself as far as I am aware there is no such device for attaching S-ATA
    drives in the manner you describe.. i suppose you could extend the sata
    cable out of the back of the pc but it wont be hot swappable and you
    would have to do it to all the pc's you wish to connect it to
    .... A thought just occurred to me you can probably get a removable hard
    drive Caddy with a sata interface .. if not you could mod an ide one.

    JD, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Mike

    Thor Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    >> Is there such a thing as an "external SATA hard drive" without using an
    >> external drive enclosure? I am looking for an external hard drive, much
    >> like an external firewire drive, that uses SATA rather than firewire. Is
    >> there such a hard drive? or would I have to buy an enclosure (such as the
    >> Seritek 1EN2 [1]) to allow for this kind of setup?
    >>
    >> You see, I like the hot swappable, plug and play, and the portability
    >> characteristics (as offered by firewire devices) but I also like the
    >> faster speed of SATA. Is there such a drive that combines all of these
    >> advantages without having to use an enclosure? I guess it could be called
    >> a "hot swappable external SATA portable hard drive".
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> [1] http://www.barefeats.com/hard43.html
    >>

    > IcyBox make a hard drive enclosure that takes the S-ATA interface however
    > this will make no difference really as it will still connect Via USB or
    > FireWire so the transfer speed will be According to USB or FireWire type
    > that you chose.
    >
    > S-ATA connectors are inside the pc on an adapter card or the motherboard
    > itself as far as I am aware there is no such device for attaching S-ATA
    > drives in the manner you describe.. i suppose you could extend the sata
    > cable out of the back of the pc but it wont be hot swappable and you would
    > have to do it to all the pc's you wish to connect it to
    > ... A thought just occurred to me you can probably get a removable hard
    > drive Caddy with a sata interface .. if not you could mod an ide one.

    It may still be hot swappable even if he strings the cable inside to the
    SATA connector, since the SATA interface spec supports hot-swap.

    Thor, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Mike

    JD Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > It may still be hot swappable even if he strings the cable inside to the
    > SATA connector, since the SATA interface spec supports hot-swap.

    True enough .. personally I'd go for modding a IDE Caddy if a SATA one
    isnt available, It shouldent be to hard to switch over the power
    connector in the HD caddy (assuming its the SATA power connector, no
    need if it has a 3 pin molex) and as for changing the ide to sata that
    shouldent pose a problem assuming you can get hold of a SATA male
    connection (perhaps dismantling a IDE to SATA converter) it would make a
    far neater solution to the problem and if you make more than one "caddy
    / Tray" you can hot swap till your hearts content.

    JD, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > It allows standard SATA drives to be connected externally. Illustration is
    > in A8N-SLI Deluxe manual.

    How safe is it to use a "standard SATA drive" in an external manner? (I
    don't have the A8N-SLI Deluxe manual to see the illustration.) But
    thanks for pointing this out. I was hoping to find a SATA drive that was
    designed to be external. I guess this is not available yet.

    Thanks JD, Thor and Jonah for all this help. I guess this is the kind of
    technology we might see in the near future but for now if we want to use
    SATA drives externally we should probably have to use an enclosure
    http://www.barefeats.com/hard43.html or custom rig something ourselves
    as you all mentioned in your comments. I thought there might be an
    easier solution - maybe later some company will offer something like this.

    Thanks again!

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Jan 19, 2005