    It would be even better if this power pack uses cheap sealed lead acid
    battery as a power source.

    It's very frustrating when the flash cannot keep up with the camera.

    peter, May 12, 2004

  2. peter

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "peter"

    >Is there a power pack for canon 550EX that will recycle the flash faster
    >than canon's transistor pack E?

    The Quantuum battery packs do a good job, that's what I'm using (and what
    many/most of the wildlife pros use in the field). Here's a good write-up on
    the four different models with specs for recycle times, # of charges, etc.
    Wife and I have the Turbo Z and the Turbo C ... the "C" can power the 550EX and
    a 10D at the same time.

    http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/turbo/default.asp

    >It would be even better if this power pack uses cheap sealed lead acid
    >battery as a power source.

    "Cheap" is not the operative word for the Quantuum's :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 12, 2004

  3. peter

    Robertwgross Guest

    Peter wrote:
    >Is there a power pack for canon 550EX that will recycle the flash faster
    >than canon's transistor pack E?

    You don't want to shoot faster than that. The flash tube can overheat if you
    flash too many times in a short period. That leads to tube failure.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, May 12, 2004
  4. "peter" <> wrote in

    > Is there a power pack for canon 550EX that will recycle the flash faster
    > than canon's transistor pack E?
    >
    > It would be even better if this power pack uses cheap sealed lead acid
    > battery as a power source.
    >
    > It's very frustrating when the flash cannot keep up with the camera.

    Have a look at http://www.aljacobs.com/universal_battery_packs.htm

    Beats hell out of Quantum's prices, and they're virtually the same
    thing. I use a similar one for my Canon 380EX and Sunpak MX440AF flashes,
    works great. I used an old coiled cord from an electric razor, slighter
    neater in the field.

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain

    Al Denelsbeck, May 12, 2004
  5. (Robertwgross) writes:

    > Peter wrote:
    > >Is there a power pack for canon 550EX that will recycle the flash faster
    > >than canon's transistor pack E?

    > You don't want to shoot faster than that. The flash tube can overheat if you
    > flash too many times in a short period. That leads to tube failure.

    Yeah, I burned out a consumer level flash during a photo session (not Canon),
    so I can tell you head the cautions in the manufacturer's literature.

    If you are needing flash in rapid sucession, it might be better to use studio
    strobes and the appropriate battery rather than a flash. For example, Alien
    Bees and White Lightning strobes have a battery (Vagabond) that goes for ~ $600
    for a strobe + battery, and JTL has their Mobilight strobes that include a
    battery and car charger for $300 - 400.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, May 12, 2004
  6. peter

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> Peter wrote:
    >>
    >> Is there a power pack for canon 550EX that will recycle the flash faster
    >> than canon's transistor pack E?

    > (Robertwgross) writes:
    >
    > You don't want to shoot faster than that.

    Yes we do :)

    > The flash tube can overheat if you flash too many times in
    > a short period. That leads to tube failure.

    This is a concern, but is usually not a problem with a powerful flash like the
    550EX unless you have a very fast motor drive and are dumping almost all the
    charge every frame. The manual says if you're using most or all of the charge
    (ie, shooting manually at 1/1 or 1/2) you can shoot up to 15 frames in rapid
    succession before worrying about overheating. At 1/4 - 1/8 power up to 20
    shots, and at 1/16 - 1/32 power up to 40 continuous shots (pg 44, 93 in my copy
    of the 550EX manual).

    I use my Turbo Z mainly for wildlife when I need fill flash so the power
    requirement is often low, since my normal flash exposure compensation for fill
    is -1.3 stops. Typically there's a burst of activity which you want to capture
    so you need fast recharge, but the activity doesn't last long so there's little
    risk of burning out a tube. With my Canon 1Ds I can only shoot about 20
    frames/minute anyway (3 fps burst) due to the time it takes to clear the write
    buffer so it's not a problem with that body. I'm buying a 1D Mark II as soon
    as I can get one though and that puts more stress on the flash and battery
    since it can do 20 RAW frames in about 2 1/2 seconds so I'll need to be more
    careful with that body. Even the most powerful battery pack won't be able to
    keep up if much charge is dumped, at these frame rates.

    The Turbo Z and C (and 2x2) models recharge 2x - 3x as fast as the Canon E pack
    (~1.4 or 1.5 sec max vs 3-5 sec) and have the added advantage that you can use
    them with other flashes if you buy a different cord. Also the 2x2 and C models
    let you power both the flash and a digital camera at the same time.

    This is clearly a case of a third party solution being better than what Canon
    offers. I've met probably a dozen of the best known professional bird
    photographers and every one of them who used fill flash had Quantum battery
    packs, FWIW.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 12, 2004