external portable HDDs/adapters

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Allistar, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Hi
    > im looking at setting up an exernal hardrive.
    > It seems to me the best option is to buy an external IDE Drive Adapter
    > and a hdd that uses a usb or firewire port.
    >
    > Does any one have any experience with these?
    > ive had a look around the web and the thing is that they all require an
    > external power source, are there any that can use the usb/firewire port
    > as the power source?
    > im running out of power plugs!
    >
    > any good places in NZ to purchase one from?
    >
    > cheers
    > Steve

    I have an external Maxtro 80Gb ieee1394 (aka firewire) drive on my home
    computer and it works fine. Unfortunately is does have it's own power
    source. I doubt you'll be able to get one that powers off the ieee1394
    adapter as from what I know the drive is a standard IDE drive wrapped in an
    ieee1394 interface, and would hence require 12 volts - which I doubt
    ieee1394 delivers. (I may be wrong though).

    It was a piece of cake to install, all I needed to do was load the ohci1394
    kernel module and mount the drive somewhere.

    Allistar.

    Steve, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Allistar

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Allistar" wrote
    > It was a piece of cake to install, all I needed to do was load the

    ohci1394
    > kernel module and mount the drive somewhere.

    heh, they work just as well in Windows too, in my experience.

    T.N.O., Oct 8, 2003
  4. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> "Allistar" wrote
    >> > It was a piece of cake to install, all I needed to do was load the

    >> ohci1394
    >> > kernel module and mount the drive somewhere.

    >> heh, they work just as well in Windows too, in my experience.

    > Only just as well?
    > I never had to load 1394 kernel modules on my Windows machines to get
    > access to firewire HDDs
    >
    > Isn't that "better"?
    >
    > ;-)

    It depends on how you look at it. I would rather not have stuff running
    unless it needs to be. I think it's great that I can recompile a kernel
    targetted for a particular chipset and decide which drivers are compiled in
    and which aren't. In my opinion that's better, but I can understand the
    point of view that it also adds more steps to getting new hardware to work.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 8, 2003

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 8, 2003
  6. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > im looking at setting up an exernal hardrive.
    > It seems to me the best option is to buy an external IDE Drive Adapter
    > and a hdd that uses a usb or firewire port.
    >
    > Does any one have any experience with these?
    > ive had a look around the web and the thing is that they all require an
    > external power source, are there any that can use the usb/firewire port
    > as the power source?
    > im running out of power plugs!
    >
    > any good places in NZ to purchase one from?

    I'd recommend the Maxtor external disks, I've got 3 of them now and no
    problems so far. They have a USB2 and a Firewire interfaces, and you can
    daisy chain them together

    THe last one I bought was a 250Gb for around $700

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 8, 2003
  7. "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in message

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > "Allistar" wrote
    > > > It was a piece of cake to install, all I needed to do was load the

    > > ohci1394
    > > > kernel module and mount the drive somewhere.

    > > heh, they work just as well in Windows too, in my experience.

    > Only just as well?
    > I never had to load 1394 kernel modules on my Windows machines to get

    access
    > to firewire HDDs
    >
    > Isn't that "better"?

    There are distributions that come with that pre compiled
    You have some good points to make about MS stuff vs Linux, but thats not one
    of them.

    Olson Johnson, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Allistar

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" wrote
    > Only just as well?
    > I never had to load 1394 kernel modules on my Windows machines to get

    access
    > to firewire HDDs
    > Isn't that "better"?

    yes sure Nathan... I guess it is.

    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  9. Allistar

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Allistar" wrote
    > It depends on how you look at it. I would rather not have stuff running
    > unless it needs to be.

    Good point, but on my home PC it is running bare, atleast compared to
    default.

    > I think it's great that I can recompile a kernel
    > targetted for a particular chipset and decide which drivers are compiled

    in
    > and which aren't.

    Umm, my machine running on my AMD motherboard, there are no Intel
    Motherboard drivers there, so I guess it is kinda the same :)

    > In my opinion that's better, but I can understand the
    > point of view that it also adds more steps to getting new hardware to

    work.

    More steps is annoying, but sometimes it is good, it keeps morons from doing
    things outside of their depth.

    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  10. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Allistar" wrote
    >> It depends on how you look at it. I would rather not have stuff running
    >> unless it needs to be.

    > Good point, but on my home PC it is running bare, atleast compared to
    > default.
    >
    >> I think it's great that I can recompile a kernel
    >> targetted for a particular chipset and decide which drivers are compiled

    > in
    >> and which aren't.

    > Umm, my machine running on my AMD motherboard, there are no Intel
    > Motherboard drivers there, so I guess it is kinda the same :)

    I mean recompiling the major parts of the operating system (and applications
    that run on it) to take advantage of instructions one CPU family has over
    another, therefore improving efficiency and performance.

    >> In my opinion that's better, but I can understand the
    >> point of view that it also adds more steps to getting new hardware to

    > work.
    >
    > More steps is annoying, but sometimes it is good, it keeps morons from
    > doing things outside of their depth.

    Indeed.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Steve wrote:
    > Hi
    > im looking at setting up an exernal hardrive.
    > It seems to me the best option is to buy an external IDE Drive Adapter
    > and a hdd that uses a usb or firewire port.
    >
    > Does any one have any experience with these?
    > ive had a look around the web and the thing is that they all require
    > an external power source, are there any that can use the usb/firewire
    > port as the power source?
    > im running out of power plugs!

    You can't power a hard drive from USB - it only provides 500milliwatts at 5
    volts.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 9, 2003
  12. Allistar

    Andrew Guest

    Only if you use 2.5" drives and drive enclosures

    However im not sure if there are any that do both usb + firewire

    Andrew, Oct 9, 2003
  13. Allistar

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Andrew" wrote
    > Only if you use 2.5" drives and drive enclosures
    > However im not sure if there are any that do both usb + firewire

    Actually I want one too... one for 2 1/2" drives, I have a spare 800MB drive
    that would suit this just perfect.
    Got a price, USB2 versions seem to be considerably dearer than USB1,
    understandable, but not needed in my case.

    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  14. Allistar

    Andrew Guest

    They are under $100 for usb 2 ones, just over $100 for firewire ones

    Andrew, Oct 9, 2003
  15. Allistar

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Allistar" wrote
    > I mean recompiling the major parts of the operating system (and

    applications
    > that run on it) to take advantage of instructions one CPU family has over
    > another, therefore improving efficiency and performance.

    ok, so I cant recompile, but XP takes advantage of sse and 3dnow from my
    CPUs, I cant think of anything else at the moment, but it may well support
    it :)

    > >> In my opinion that's better, but I can understand the
    > >> point of view that it also adds more steps to getting new hardware to

    > > work.

    > > More steps is annoying, but sometimes it is good, it keeps morons from
    > > doing things outside of their depth.

    > Indeed.

    one thing most tech people can agree on is, that "all users are abusers"

    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  16. Allistar

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Steve" wrote
    > ill be using for a spare drive for storage, maybe put an OS on it if its
    > bootable and use it for transfering data to clients PCs

    I have only seen a few PC's that support bootable USB drives, but luckily,
    all my home machines do :)

    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  17. Allistar

    Steve Guest

    are these external drives able to made bootable?
    and im thinking, what is the difference between the maxtor external hdd and
    having an external closure with a harddrive. like obviously the maxtor is a
    dedicated/fixed drive and with most enclosures it seems one can use any
    harddrive of any size. it seems cheaper aswell

    Steve, Oct 9, 2003
  18. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 09:09:01 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > I have an external Maxtro 80Gb ieee1394 (aka firewire) drive on my home
    > computer and it works fine. Unfortunately is does have it's own power
    > source. I doubt you'll be able to get one that powers off the ieee1394
    > adapter as from what I know the drive is a standard IDE drive wrapped in an
    > ieee1394 interface, and would hence require 12 volts - which I doubt
    > ieee1394 delivers. (I may be wrong though).

    Laptop drives are 5V only, but firewire/usb probably doesn't supply enough
    current (2A-3A)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 9, 2003
  19. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:55:52 +1300, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > I never had to load 1394 kernel modules on my Windows machines to get access
    > to firewire HDDs

    I can compile my kernels with that hardwired in too, but that makes it
    bigger, slower and less flexible (can't add new devices without rebooting)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 9, 2003
  20. Allistar

    MarkH Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in

    > "Andrew" wrote
    >> Only if you use 2.5" drives and drive enclosures
    >> However im not sure if there are any that do both usb + firewire

    > Actually I want one too... one for 2 1/2" drives, I have a spare 800MB
    > drive that would suit this just perfect.
    > Got a price, USB2 versions seem to be considerably dearer than USB1,
    > understandable, but not needed in my case.

    I have a 2.5" enclosure with a 40GB HDD, it uses USB2 and gets its power
    from that USB connection.

    Works well and the enclosure cost me less than 100 bucks.

    How thick is your spare 800MB drive? My enclosure wont work with the
    thicker drives, only the thinner ones (9.5mm?).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Oct 12, 2003