    am i right in thinking he could buy a modem which would store the faxes and
    then transfer to pc when switched on? if so what make/model?
    Cheers, Eggy
    Egbert Nobacon, Oct 18, 2004

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    18 Oct 2004 21:06:02 +0100, "Egbert Nobacon" <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Hi I have a mate who wishes to receive faxes but whose pc is not always on.
    >am i right in thinking he could buy a modem which would store the faxes and
    >then transfer to pc when switched on? if so what make/model?
    >Cheers, Eggy

    Not that I am aware of. Fax machines are cheap, archaic pieces of
    electronic gear and you can buy one for about (or near) as muxh as an
    external modem, so you might as well pick up one of those.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Egbert Nobacon

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:06:02 +0100, Egbert Nobacon wrote:

    >Hi I have a mate who wishes to receive faxes but whose pc is not always on.
    >am i right in thinking he could buy a modem which would store the faxes and
    >then transfer to pc when switched on? if so what make/model?
    >Cheers, Eggy

    www.google.com and some searches like

    modem fax memory
    modem fax offline
    modem receive fax offline

    <groan>
    pretty much how you asked your question in the 1st place
    </groan>

    Finds some matches, the 1 I remember from years ago is because of the
    distinctive case.

    http://www.digicom.it/digisit/schedpro.nsf/enprodottiidx/tizianomemorypro?opendocument
    however a bit of Google on your part should produce other
    hits/suppliers.

    Me
    why?, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Egbert Nobacon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Hi I have a mate who wishes to receive faxes but whose pc is not
    >| always on. am i right in thinking he could buy a modem which would
    >| store the faxes and then transfer to pc when switched on? if so what
    >| make/model?
    >| Cheers, Eggy

    Another option would be the free or low cost electronic services that allow
    users to send faxes, then they are picked up when your mate checks his email
    on the computer...

    www.efax.com
    http://www.faxaway.com/
    http://www.dailyedeals.com/connect/fax.htm

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Egbert Nobacon

    Conor Guest

    In article <41742226$0$29190$>, Egbert
    Nobacon says...
    > Hi I have a mate who wishes to receive faxes but whose pc is not always on.
    > am i right in thinking he could buy a modem which would store the faxes and
    > then transfer to pc when switched on? if so what make/model?

    3 Com/ US Robotics did one called the Message CEntre if I remember the
    name correctly.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.
    Conor, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Egbert Nobacon

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:02:45 +0100, Conor wrote:

    >In article <41742226$0$29190$>, Egbert
    >Nobacon says...
    >> Hi I have a mate who wishes to receive faxes but whose pc is not always on.
    >> am i right in thinking he could buy a modem which would store the faxes and
    >> then transfer to pc when switched on? if so what make/model?

    >3 Com/ US Robotics did one called the Message CEntre if I remember the
    >name correctly.

    That was the other name I was thinking about but didn't see it on the
    USR UK site.

    It's called the 'Message Modem'.

    Me
    why?, Oct 19, 2004