    does one connection suffer more problems than the other?

    I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
    Thanks for any advice.
    notme, Jan 29, 2005

  2. notme

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:38:05 +1300, notme wrote:

    > I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to install.
    > I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free up a slot.
    >
    > As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem but
    > I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial or USB
    > modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance - does one
    > connection suffer more problems than the other?
    >
    > I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only. Thanks for any
    > advice.

    USB modems are dependent on software drivers and may use some of
    your CPU's processing time (more of an issue with slower PCs).

    Serial modems require nothing more than a good COM port (that
    can be set to a high enough baud rate, eg. 115,200 baud).

    IMHO only get a USB one if you have no serial COM ports available.

    Murray Symon.
    Murray Symon, Jan 30, 2005

  3. notme

    XPD Guest

    "notme" <> wrote in message
    > I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to
    > install. I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free
    > up a slot.
    >
    > As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
    > but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
    > or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
    > does one connection suffer more problems than the other?
    >
    > I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
    > Thanks for any advice.

    Go serial.
    USB seems to fall over all the time with modme devices....
    XPD, Jan 30, 2005
  4. notme

    Tim Guest

    Serial. Without a doubt.

    Tim, Jan 30, 2005
  5. notme

    notme Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:37:08 +1300, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >Serial. Without a doubt.

    Thanks everyone for your unanimous advice. Serial it is.
    notme, Jan 30, 2005
  6. notme

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:31:56 +1300, notme wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:37:08 +1300, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Serial. Without a doubt.
    >>

    > Thanks everyone for your unanimous advice. Serial it is.

    USB. Easier to install, and more common. Serial is becoming a thing of the
    past and many computers are starting to appear with zero serial ports.

    --

    .... Brendan

    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/01/2005 11:19:14 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jan 30, 2005
  7. notme

    -=rjh=- Guest

    notme wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:37:08 +1300, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Serial. Without a doubt.
    >>

    > Thanks everyone for your unanimous advice. Serial it is.

    Seriously, I'd go ethernet if at all practical. And use Freesco on an
    old PC as a firewall.

    But I'd use a serial external modem on that box :) or PCI or ISA.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 30, 2005
  8. notme

    Fishb8 Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message news:41fcbe2a$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > notme wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:37:08 +1300, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Serial. Without a doubt.
    >>>

    >> Thanks everyone for your unanimous advice. Serial it is.

    > Seriously, I'd go ethernet if at all practical. And use Freesco on an old
    > PC as a firewall.
    >
    > But I'd use a serial external modem on that box :) or PCI or ISA.

    Hi Notme
    Since I went ADSL, I've got a Dynalink 1456VQE serial modem unused. Works
    MUCH better than a USB or PCI modem.
    Contact me if you want to buy.
    Fishb8, Jan 30, 2005
  9. notme

    Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:00:20 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > But I'd use a serial external modem on that box :) or PCI or ISA.

    I use an external serial modem attached to an old computer that I've set
    up as my network firewall, with ethernet to my other computers.

    It has been utterly reliable since I set it up, and the only time I've
    needed to reboot it were when I've installed updates which require a
    reboot.

    Divine

    --
    "Outlook is the security equivalent of wearing condoms with the ends cut
    off - for greater comfort and ease of use."
  10. notme

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > It has been utterly reliable since I set it up, and the only time I've
    > needed to reboot it were when I've installed updates which require a
    > reboot.
    >

    > Divine

    But, wait, you're using Linux........ which NEVER needs updates..... let
    alone NEVER needs rebooting?

    Do you actually enjoy publically contradicting yourself - on a daily basis?
    Ryan Jacobs, Jan 31, 2005
  11. notme

    Thor Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> It has been utterly reliable since I set it up, and the only time I've
    >> needed to reboot it were when I've installed updates which require a
    >> reboot.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    > But, wait, you're using Linux........ which NEVER needs updates..... let
    > alone NEVER needs rebooting?
    >
    > Do you actually enjoy publically contradicting yourself - on a daily
    > basis?

    What sort of crap are you talking, the speed of the updates are why linux is
    streets ahead of microsoft as far as security goes. Linux also sometimes
    needs a reboot, like when you intall a new kernel, not everytime you
    install the slightest new update or program or more likely everytime you
    get a new worm.
    Thor, Jan 31, 2005
  12. notme

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >

    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> It has been utterly reliable since I set it up, and the only time I've
    >>> needed to reboot it were when I've installed updates which require a
    >>> reboot.
    >>>

    >>> Divine
    >>>

    >> But, wait, you're using Linux........ which NEVER needs updates..... let
    >> alone NEVER needs rebooting?
    >>
    >> Do you actually enjoy publically contradicting yourself - on a daily
    >> basis?

    > What sort of crap are you talking, the speed of the updates are why linux
    > is
    > streets ahead of microsoft as far as security goes. Linux also sometimes
    > needs a reboot, like when you intall a new kernel, not everytime you
    > install the slightest new update or program or more likely everytime you
    > get a new worm.

    No offence to you dood (or any other sincere linux user), ironically, Im
    also a linux user..........

    But I was digging the knife into the resident one-eyed idiot known as
    Divine........

    ...... because, his total one-eyed attitude blinds him to reality.......and
    the reality is..... nah **** that - I'm not rehashing old news..... I just
    enjoy exposing Divine's ignorance......
    Ryan Jacobs, Jan 31, 2005
  13. notme

    Thor Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    >>> But, wait, you're using Linux........ which NEVER needs updates..... let
    >>> alone NEVER needs rebooting?
    >>>
    >>> Do you actually enjoy publically contradicting yourself - on a daily
    >>> basis?

    >> What sort of crap are you talking, the speed of the updates are why linux
    >> is
    >> streets ahead of microsoft as far as security goes. Linux also sometimes
    >> needs a reboot, like when you intall a new kernel, not everytime you
    >> install the slightest new update or program or more likely everytime you
    >> get a new worm.

    > No offence to you dood (or any other sincere linux user), ironically, Im
    > also a linux user..........
    >
    > But I was digging the knife into the resident one-eyed idiot known as
    > Divine........
    >
    > ..... because, his total one-eyed attitude blinds him to reality.......and
    > the reality is..... nah **** that - I'm not rehashing old news..... I
    > just enjoy exposing Divine's ignorance......

    Sort of fair enough but posting from the ultimate crap newsreader doesn't
    lend a lot of credibility to your words.
    Thor, Jan 31, 2005
  14. notme

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    >>> What sort of crap are you talking, the speed of the updates are why
    >>> linux
    >>> is
    >>> streets ahead of microsoft as far as security goes. Linux also sometimes
    >>> needs a reboot, like when you intall a new kernel, not everytime you
    >>> install the slightest new update or program or more likely everytime you
    >>> get a new worm.

    >> No offence to you dood (or any other sincere linux user), ironically, Im
    >> also a linux user..........
    >>
    >> But I was digging the knife into the resident one-eyed idiot known as
    >> Divine........
    >>
    >> ..... because, his total one-eyed attitude blinds him to
    >> reality.......and
    >> the reality is..... nah **** that - I'm not rehashing old news..... I
    >> just enjoy exposing Divine's ignorance......

    > Sort of fair enough but posting from the ultimate crap newsreader doesn't
    > lend a lot of credibility to your words.

    FFS, here we go again........

    so fucking what if i am currently using OE? Get your fucking head outa yer
    arse!

    Sometimes, i use Fotre Agent......

    Whatever fucking client I use , my system Is totally secure! - Because I
    secured it - and I continue to secure it - alas that differs me from the
    rest - but it doesnt mean your ignorance makes my choice of a client harmful
    to you!!!!!!!!!!!

    GET THIS THRU YOUR FUCKING IGNORANT HEAD - EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT
    INSECURITES (INSERT YOUR YOUR FLAVOUR OF INGNORANCE HERE) IS NOT NECESSARILY
    TRUE

    FOAD

    Ignorant fucking moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ryan Jacobs, Jan 31, 2005
  15. Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > Whatever fucking client I use , my system Is totally secure! - Because I
    > secured it - and I continue to secure it - alas that differs me from the
    > rest - but it doesnt mean your ignorance makes my choice of a client harmful
    > to you!!!!!!!!!!!
    > GET THIS THRU YOUR FUCKING IGNORANT HEAD - EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT
    > INSECURITES (INSERT YOUR YOUR FLAVOUR OF INGNORANCE HERE) IS NOT NECESSARILY
    > TRUE
    > FOAD
    > Ignorant fucking moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    wow... this must be that akward moment just after you hear your
    neighbours arguing, and you're standing at their front door... well this
    sucks.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 31, 2005
  16. notme

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >> Whatever fucking client I use , my system Is totally secure! - Because I
    >> secured it - and I continue to secure it - alas that differs me from the
    >> rest - but it doesnt mean your ignorance makes my choice of a client
    >> harmful to you!!!!!!!!!!!
    >> GET THIS THRU YOUR FUCKING IGNORANT HEAD - EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT
    >> INSECURITES (INSERT YOUR YOUR FLAVOUR OF INGNORANCE HERE) IS NOT
    >> NECESSARILY TRUE
    >> FOAD
    >> Ignorant fucking moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > wow... this must be that akward moment just after you hear your neighbours
    > arguing, and you're standing at their front door... well this sucks.

    Heya Dave

    Well, after an absence of a few weeks, I thought.... hey I should return to
    nz.comp and catch up. I thought... I really MUST make an effort NOT to piss
    of people this time round........

    ...... alas....... I didnt last very long, lol.
    Ryan Jacobs, Jan 31, 2005
  17. Ryan Jacobs said the following on 31/01/2005 10:44 p.m.:
    > "Thor" <> wrote in message

    >>>No offence to you dood (or any other sincere linux user), ironically, Im
    >>>also a linux user..........
    >>>
    >>>But I was digging the knife into the resident one-eyed idiot known as
    >>>Divine........
    >>>
    >>>..... because, his total one-eyed attitude blinds him to
    >>>reality.......and
    >>>the reality is..... nah **** that - I'm not rehashing old news..... I
    >>>just enjoy exposing Divine's ignorance......

    >>Sort of fair enough but posting from the ultimate crap newsreader doesn't
    >>lend a lot of credibility to your words.
    >>

    > FFS, here we go again........
    >
    > so fucking what if i am currently using OE? Get your fucking head outa yer
    > arse!
    >
    > Sometimes, i use Fotre Agent......
    >
    > Whatever fucking client I use , my system Is totally secure! - Because I
    > secured it - and I continue to secure it - alas that differs me from the
    > rest - but it doesnt mean your ignorance makes my choice of a client harmful
    > to you!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > GET THIS THRU YOUR FUCKING IGNORANT HEAD - EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT
    > INSECURITES (INSERT YOUR YOUR FLAVOUR OF INGNORANCE HERE) IS NOT NECESSARILY
    > TRUE
    >
    > FOAD
    >
    > Ignorant fucking moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Slow down, breath remember the Village Idiot principle.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Jan 31, 2005
  18. notme

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >>> Whatever fucking client I use , my system Is totally secure! - Because I
    >>> secured it - and I continue to secure it - alas that differs me from the
    >>> rest - but it doesnt mean your ignorance makes my choice of a client
    >>> harmful to you!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>> GET THIS THRU YOUR FUCKING IGNORANT HEAD - EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT
    >>> INSECURITES (INSERT YOUR YOUR FLAVOUR OF INGNORANCE HERE) IS NOT
    >>> NECESSARILY TRUE
    >>> FOAD
    >>> Ignorant fucking moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    >> wow... this must be that akward moment just after you hear your
    >> neighbours arguing, and you're standing at their front door... well this
    >> sucks.
    >>

    > Heya Dave
    >
    > Well, after an absence of a few weeks, I thought.... hey I should return
    > to nz.comp and catch up. I thought... I really MUST make an effort NOT to
    > piss of people this time round........
    >
    > ..... alas....... I didnt last very long, lol.

    Further to this.....

    I'm actually having a civil conversation nz.general........

    .....my god.... have I totally lost the plot?
    Ryan Jacobs, Jan 31, 2005
  19. notme

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >
    >> Whatever fucking client I use , my system Is totally secure! - Because
    >> I secured it - and I continue to secure it - alas that differs me from
    >> the rest - but it doesnt mean your ignorance makes my choice of a
    >> client harmful to you!!!!!!!!!!!
    >> GET THIS THRU YOUR FUCKING IGNORANT HEAD - EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT
    >> INSECURITES (INSERT YOUR YOUR FLAVOUR OF INGNORANCE HERE) IS NOT
    >> NECESSARILY TRUE
    >> FOAD
    >> Ignorant fucking moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > wow... this must be that akward moment just after you hear your
    > neighbours arguing, and you're standing at their front door... well this
    > sucks.

    How TF did this thread go from a simple question about modem
    connectivity to a flamefest about Linux? Unbelievable.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 31, 2005
  20. notme

    Thor Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message

    Well no of course there are no insecurites in windows, just exploits at
    every turn. For what reason did you lose your temper. Posting from outlook
    express and saying you are a linux user sort of says contradiction in terms
    to me. Great that you keep your system secure, you are one of the few
    unfortunately, which is why the worms spread so far and fast, and while the
    shift is away from outlook express-address book hijacks it still one of the
    biggest causes of crap on the net.
    Thor, Jan 31, 2005