    of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    too fancy.

    Regards, Peter.

    Peter Jason, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Peter Jason wrote:
    > I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    > camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    > lens.
    >
    > But the light meter is completely broken and
    > I can't get it fixed.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    > of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    > too fancy.
    >
    > Regards, Peter.

    e-Bay

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 31, 2006

  3. Peter Jason

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Peter Jason <> wrote:
    > I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    > camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    > lens.
    >
    > But the light meter is completely broken and
    > I can't get it fixed.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    > of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    > too fancy.

    I really like my Sekonic L-208 Twinmate. It is a classic
    style analogue meter, but is really small and has a modern
    sensor and electronics.

    It is $94.95 at B&H photo.

    <www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&sku=200224&is=REG>

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Dec 31, 2006
  4. Peter Jason wrote:
    > I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    > camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    > lens.
    >
    > But the light meter is completely broken and
    > I can't get it fixed.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    > of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    > too fancy.
    >
    > Regards, Peter.

    Uhfortunately, because of the rarity of non-automatic-exposure cameras
    these days, the simple not-too-fancy lightmeters have become extinct in
    the market place. Those sold new today are fairly pricey.

    Many camera shops sell used merchandice, and I have seen used
    lightmeters at some of my local camera shops. Try there.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Dec 31, 2006
  5. On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:53:29 -0800, Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:

    > Peter Jason wrote:
    >> I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    >> camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    >> lens.
    >>
    >> But the light meter is completely broken and
    >> I can't get it fixed.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    >> of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    >> too fancy.
    >>
    >> Regards, Peter.

    > Uhfortunately, because of the rarity of non-automatic-exposure cameras
    > these days, the simple not-too-fancy lightmeters have become extinct in
    > the market place. Those sold new today are fairly pricey.
    >
    > Many camera shops sell used merchandice, and I have seen used
    > lightmeters at some of my local camera shops. Try there.

    Also, try eBay. Or your local newspaper classifieds under the Used Photo
    heading(s). Or any of the number of used camera stores with a web site.
    Get a copy of Shutterbug magazine or go to their web site:
    http://www.shutterbug.com/ It has tons of ads and listings for such
    stores as well as a classified section for private party sales.

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Dec 31, 2006
  6. Peter Jason

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:37:56 +1100, "Peter Jason" <>
    wrote:

    >I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    >camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    >lens.
    >
    >But the light meter is completely broken and
    >I can't get it fixed.
    >
    >Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    >of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    >too fancy.
    >
    >Regards, Peter.

    If you have a digital camera maybe using the readout,
    say in the 'P' or 'M' mode,
    can give you a ballpark figure to transfer to the Contax.

    irwell, Dec 31, 2006
  7. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    "irwell" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:37:56 +1100, "Peter
    > Jason" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    >>camera working again because of its fast
    >>f1.5
    >>lens.
    >>
    >>But the light meter is completely broken
    >>and
    >>I can't get it fixed.
    >>
    >>Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    >>of small light meter to use instead.
    >>Nothing
    >>too fancy.
    >>
    >>Regards, Peter.
    >>

    > If you have a digital camera maybe using
    > the readout,
    > say in the 'P' or 'M' mode,
    > can give you a ballpark figure to transfer
    > to the Contax.

    Sadly the digital camera (an OlympusE500)
    will not indicate f-stops lower than the lens
    attached to it at the time, which in my case
    is either f-3.8, or f-4.0.

    I can't seem to find a really low f-stop lens
    for this camera, in the Zuiko range anyway.

    Peter Jason, Jan 1, 2007
  8. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    Many thanks for all replies.

    Regards

    Peter Jason, Jan 1, 2007
  9. Peter Jason

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:29:40 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

    >> If you have a digital camera maybe using the readout,
    >> say in the 'P' or 'M' mode, can give you a ballpark figure
    >> to transfer to the Contax.

    > Sadly the digital camera (an OlympusE500)
    > will not indicate f-stops lower than the lens
    > attached to it at the time, which in my case
    > is either f-3.8, or f-4.0.

    Being able to deal with that is almost literally a no-brainer,
    assuming you know how apertures and shutter speeds are related. One
    stop of aperture is equal to one stop of shutter speed. So if you
    want to shoot at f/2.0, see what shutter speed the Olympus suggests
    using at f/4.0. That's a two stop difference in aperture (f/2.0 ->
    f/2.8 -> f/4.0), so since the f/2.0 aperture would let in 2 stops
    worth more light, you'd shorten the Olympus's shutter speed by two
    stops as well. If you're not familiar with the different standard
    shutter speeds and apertures long understood by film camera users,
    it would be a good idea to memorize them, which can be quite easy if
    you see the mathematical relationships between them. Adjacent
    shutter speeds differ by a factor of 2 and adjacent apertures by a
    factor of 1.4 (1.414... is the square root of 2). One stop
    differences are represented by:

    Shutter speeds:
    1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000

    Apertures:
    f/1.0, f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4.0, f/5.6, f/8.0, f/11, f/16, f/22

    So if the E500 indicated 1/60th sec. at f/4.0, the Contax IIIa
    could be set to use f/2.0 at 1/250th sec. or f/1.5 at 1/500th sec.
    (f/1.5 is close enough to f/1.4)

    The E500 is an overly expensive and large camera to use as a light
    meter though. A small P&S that shows the apertures and shutter
    speeds that would be used can be just as useful, and some are even
    smaller and less expensive than many present day light meters.

    ASAAR, Jan 1, 2007
  10. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:29:40 +1100, Peter
    > Jason wrote:
    >
    >>> If you have a digital camera maybe using
    >>> the readout,
    >>> say in the 'P' or 'M' mode, can give you
    >>> a ballpark figure
    >>> to transfer to the Contax.

    >> Sadly the digital camera (an OlympusE500)
    >> will not indicate f-stops lower than the
    >> lens
    >> attached to it at the time, which in my
    >> case
    >> is either f-3.8, or f-4.0.

    > Being able to deal with that is almost
    > literally a no-brainer,
    > assuming you know how apertures and shutter
    > speeds are related. One
    > stop of aperture is equal to one stop of
    > shutter speed. So if you
    > want to shoot at f/2.0, see what shutter
    > speed the Olympus suggests
    > using at f/4.0. That's a two stop
    > difference in aperture (f/2.0 ->
    > f/2.8 -> f/4.0), so since the f/2.0
    > aperture would let in 2 stops
    > worth more light, you'd shorten the
    > Olympus's shutter speed by two
    > stops as well. If you're not familiar with
    > the different standard
    > shutter speeds and apertures long
    > understood by film camera users,
    > it would be a good idea to memorize them,
    > which can be quite easy if
    > you see the mathematical relationships
    > between them. Adjacent
    > shutter speeds differ by a factor of 2 and
    > adjacent apertures by a
    > factor of 1.4 (1.414... is the square root
    > of 2). One stop
    > differences are represented by:
    >
    > Shutter speeds:
    > 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250,
    > 1/500, 1/1000
    >
    > Apertures:
    > f/1.0, f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4.0, f/5.6,
    > f/8.0, f/11, f/16, f/22
    >
    > So if the E500 indicated 1/60th sec. at
    > f/4.0, the Contax IIIa
    > could be set to use f/2.0 at 1/250th sec.
    > or f/1.5 at 1/500th sec.
    > (f/1.5 is close enough to f/1.4)
    >
    > The E500 is an overly expensive and large
    > camera to use as a light
    > meter though. A small P&S that shows the
    > apertures and shutter
    > speeds that would be used can be just as
    > useful, and some are even
    > smaller and less expensive than many
    > present day light meters.

    We live & learn.
    I am new to photography.
    Thanks

    Peter Jason, Jan 1, 2007
  11. Peter Jason

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:44:30 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

    > We live & learn.
    > I am new to photography.
    > Thanks

    You're welcome.

    ASAAR, Jan 1, 2007
  12. Peter Jason

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:29:40 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

    > "irwell" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:37:56 +1100, "Peter
    >> Jason" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    >>>camera working again because of its fast
    >>>f1.5
    >>>lens.
    >>>
    >>>But the light meter is completely broken
    >>>and
    >>>I can't get it fixed.
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    >>>of small light meter to use instead.
    >>>Nothing
    >>>too fancy.
    >>>
    >>>Regards, Peter.
    >>>

    >> If you have a digital camera maybe using
    >> the readout,
    >> say in the 'P' or 'M' mode,
    >> can give you a ballpark figure to transfer
    >> to the Contax.

    > Sadly the digital camera (an OlympusE500)
    > will not indicate f-stops lower than the lens
    > attached to it at the time, which in my case
    > is either f-3.8, or f-4.0.
    >
    > I can't seem to find a really low f-stop lens
    > for this camera, in the Zuiko range anyway.

    Extrapolate - ie if the smallest fstop on your digi. is F11 and you want
    to use f22 then slow your shutter speed down to a quarter of the indicated
    value - it is really easy.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.

    Neil Ellwood, Jan 1, 2007
  13. Peter Jason

    tomm42 Guest

    On Dec 30 2006, 6:37 pm, "Peter Jason" <> wrote:
    > I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    > camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    > lens.
    >
    > But the light meter is completely broken and
    > I can't get it fixed.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    > of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    > too fancy.
    >
    > Regards, Peter.

    Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
    portable. it's one problem is that it measures reflected light only.
    Used one the last time I traveled with my Leicas, it was very accurate.
    If you fell you need incident light readings get the Sekonic previously
    noted.
    I useds a Contax IIIa when I was in college, nice camera, but prone to
    shutter jams, has a real complex titanium blind shutter. Remember this
    camera is 50 years old.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 1, 2007
  14. tomm42 wrote:

    > Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
    > portable.

    Nonsense! The only meter you will ever need in your lifetime is the world
    famous Pentax SpotmeterV.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jan 1, 2007
  15. Peter Jason

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 07:07:09 -0800, tomm42 wrote:

    > On Dec 30 2006, 6:37 pm, "Peter Jason" <> wrote:
    >> I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    >> camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    >> lens.
    >>
    >> But the light meter is completely broken and
    >> I can't get it fixed.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    >> of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    >> too fancy.
    >>
    >> Regards, Peter.

    > Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
    > portable. it's one problem is that it measures reflected light only.
    > Used one the last time I traveled with my Leicas, it was very accurate.
    > If you fell you need incident light readings get the Sekonic previously
    > noted.
    > I useds a Contax IIIa when I was in college, nice camera, but prone to
    > shutter jams, has a real complex titanium blind shutter. Remember this
    > camera is 50 years old.

    Any reason not to get a Lunapro SBC if he can find one? Mine is
    designed primarily to do incident but it does reflected with a built-in
    dome and with an attachment does spot as well.

    Watch out for the older non SBC lunapro--the first time I dropped that one
    once it died instantly, the SBC model (with which I replaced it) uses a
    different circuit design that allows a much less fragile movement and
    greater sensitivity besides--it's been working fine for 20 years--if
    you're not careful with the switch position though it's a battery-eater.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jan 1, 2007
  16. On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:23:29 -0500, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > tomm42 wrote:
    >
    >> Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
    >> portable.

    > Nonsense! The only meter you will ever need in your lifetime is the world
    > famous Pentax SpotmeterV.

    I hope you were being facetious; otherwise, your statement is that of
    one who is either naive or deluded.

    A spot meter is a highly specialized tool, not suitable as a general use,
    "first" meter for anyone, especially one who has little or no knowledge of
    metering techniques. The OP IS better off following the recommendation
    and finding a used Pilot II, and probably would have no need of another
    except as a replacement, if the original one failed.

    Stef

    Stefan Patric, Jan 1, 2007
  17. Peter Jason

    Guest

    Peter Jason wrote:
    > I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    > camera working again because of its fast f1.5
    > lens.
    >
    > But the light meter is completely broken and
    > I can't get it fixed.
    >
    > Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
    > of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
    > too fancy.

    Check out any older small camera store that's been in business for a
    while. When the meter on my favorite F died some years ago I found a
    Gossen LunaPro with all the accessories and cases for under forty
    bucks. I still use it today.

    , Jan 1, 2007
  18. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in
    message

    > On Dec 30 2006, 6:37 pm, "Peter Jason"
    > <> wrote:
    >> I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
    >> camera working again because of its fast
    >> f1.5
    >> lens.
    >>
    >> But the light meter is completely broken
    >> and
    >> I can't get it fixed.
    >>
    >> Can anyone advise me where to get some
    >> sort
    >> of small light meter to use instead.
    >> Nothing
    >> too fancy.
    >>
    >> Regards, Peter.

    > Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter.
    > Small, simple, ultra
    > portable. it's one problem is that it
    > measures reflected light only.
    > Used one the last time I traveled with my
    > Leicas, it was very accurate.
    > If you fell you need incident light
    > readings get the Sekonic previously
    > noted.
    > I useds a Contax IIIa when I was in
    > college, nice camera, but prone to
    > shutter jams, has a real complex titanium
    > blind shutter. Remember this
    > camera is 50 years old.
    >
    > Tom

    Yes, mother bought it in the 1950s for family
    slides and we found it in a drawer after she
    died. It was only used for about 3 years
    before 1960. It is in pristine condition,
    except for the light meter.

    Peter Jason, Jan 1, 2007
  19. Peter Jason

    Justin C Guest

    In article <>,
    Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

    > tomm42 wrote:
    >
    > > Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
    > > portable.

    > Nonsense! The only meter you will ever need in your lifetime is the world
    > famous Pentax SpotmeterV.

    I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned already but I used to have
    (don't know where it is now so I'm in the market for another one now) a
    Weston Master. These are small and don't need batteries, the
    photo-electric cell takes care of that.

    I also own a Gossen Lunasix 3F which, compared to the Weston, is huge.
    And it takes a PP9 battery. Great though it is, when I want to travel
    light, it's too damn big and bulky.

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.

    Justin C, Jan 2, 2007
  20. Peter Jason

    Paul Bartram Guest

    <> wrote

    > Check out any older small camera store that's been in business for a
    > while. When the meter on my favorite F died some years ago I found a
    > Gossen LunaPro with all the accessories and cases for under forty
    > bucks. I still use it today.

    I saw a Wesson (Weston?) Master V in a store window recently for $40. I had
    one of those in 1970, but the sensor died.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jan 2, 2007