External HDD - Power supply - What do I need?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Aug 4, 2008.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter
    (probably thrown out during a shift recently).

    However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the
    drive enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to
    check with you all as to what it means!

    It reads:

    12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)

    Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
    looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).

    It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
    plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and
    two amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?

    If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
    determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long
    as the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if
    it is rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on
    that!!

    Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits ;-)

    Thanks,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Aug 4, 2008

  2. Alan

    Mark C Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in news:g766jm$t4g$:

    > 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
    > ... so I am thinking that as long as the supply I plug in can
    > deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if it is rated higher.
    > However, I would like to get a second opinion on that!!

    Yes, correct.
    As long as the supply is rated 2A output or higher it's good to go.

    The other variable is is it a centre-positive or centre-negative
    plug? A little picture on the enclosure should explain which.

    (The text: "(Set at 1.5A)" doesn't make any sense tho...
    WHAT is set at 1.5A?)

    Mark

    Mark C, Aug 4, 2008

  3. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter
    > (probably thrown out during a shift recently).
    >
    > However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the
    > drive enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to
    > check with you all as to what it means!
    >
    > It reads:
    >
    > 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
    >
    > Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
    > looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).
    >
    > It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
    > plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and
    > two amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?
    >
    > If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
    > determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long
    > as the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if
    > it is rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on
    > that!!
    >
    > Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits ;-)

    As someone else said, you need to ensure if the polarity is correct too!

    IE is the centre pin +ive or -ive.

    (Just in case you didn't get the other post).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Aug 4, 2008
  4. Alan

    J Brockley Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message news:g766jm$t4g$...

    > Hi All,
    >
    > We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter (probably
    > thrown out during a shift recently).
    >
    > However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the drive
    > enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to check with
    > you all as to what it means!
    >
    > It reads:
    >
    > 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
    >
    > Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
    > looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).
    >
    > It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
    > plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and two
    > amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?
    >
    > If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
    > determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long as
    > the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if it is
    > rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on that!!
    >
    > Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits ;-)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    >
    > Alan.

    Switch mode power supply is your best bet for getting 12v at up to 2A
    rating.

    Try here http://www.surplustronics.co.nz

    J Brockley, Aug 4, 2008
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > "Alan" <> wrote in news:g766jm$t4g$:
    >
    >> 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
    >> ... so I am thinking that as long as the supply I plug in can
    >> deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if it is rated higher.
    >> However, I would like to get a second opinion on that!!

    > Yes, correct.
    > As long as the supply is rated 2A output or higher it's good to go.
    >
    > The other variable is is it a centre-positive or centre-negative
    > plug? A little picture on the enclosure should explain which.
    >
    > (The text: "(Set at 1.5A)" doesn't make any sense tho...
    > WHAT is set at 1.5A?)
    >
    > Mark

    Hi Mark,

    The only 'picture' was the DC symbol.

    What would happen if I found a supply that was 12V DC output of at
    least 2A but was the wrong way round (positive - negative) and plugged
    it in?

    Would it just not work, or would it cause harm?

    Not sure what the '(Set at 1.5A)' means, but that is what it says on
    the end of the line that read, in full, as '12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A
    (Set at 1.5A)' perhaps it means that 1.5A is okay, but 2A is better?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Aug 4, 2008
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >> What would happen if I found a supply that was 12V DC output of at
    >> least 2A but was the wrong way round (positive - negative) and
    >> plugged
    >> it in?
    >>
    >> Would it just not work, or would it cause harm?

    > Untold harm.
    >
    > Fixed width font time:
    > _
    > / \
    > +ve -------o |------ -ve
    > \_/
    >
    > Look for a symbol like that.
    >
    >> Not sure what the '(Set at 1.5A)' means, but that is what it says
    >> on the end of the line that read, in full, as '12V (DC Symbol)
    >> 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)' perhaps it means that 1.5A is okay, but 2A is
    >> better?

    > Dunno, that seems ambiguous.
    >
    > Not having enough power running a drive can be very bad for your
    > data.
    >
    > Whatever supply you use should be (well) regulated.

    Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
    label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:

    http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png

    It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
    on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
    think means that it is centre-positive.

    Can I check that with someone else here?

    Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
    relevance too?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Aug 5, 2008
  7. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Alan" typed:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> What would happen if I found a supply that was 12V DC output of at
    >>> least 2A but was the wrong way round (positive - negative) and
    >>> plugged
    >>> it in?
    >>>
    >>> Would it just not work, or would it cause harm?

    >> Untold harm.
    >>
    >> Fixed width font time:
    >> _
    >> / \
    >> +ve -------o |------ -ve
    >> \_/
    >>
    >> Look for a symbol like that.
    >>
    >>> Not sure what the '(Set at 1.5A)' means, but that is what it says
    >>> on the end of the line that read, in full, as '12V (DC Symbol)
    >>> 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)' perhaps it means that 1.5A is okay, but 2A is
    >>> better?

    >> Dunno, that seems ambiguous.
    >>
    >> Not having enough power running a drive can be very bad for your
    >> data.
    >>
    >> Whatever supply you use should be (well) regulated.

    > Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
    > label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:
    >
    > http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png
    >
    > It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
    > on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
    > think means that it is centre-positive.
    >
    > Can I check that with someone else here?

    Done. Indeed, centre positive.

    > Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
    > relevance too?

    Dunno. I've seen it on devices before. At a guess (like you need that) I'd
    say that it means that the power going into the enclosure should be isolated
    from the mains.

    Good luck,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2008
  8. On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:28:42 +1200, Alan <> wrote in

    > Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
    > label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:
    >
    > http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png
    >
    > It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
    > on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
    > think means that it is centre-positive.
    >
    > Can I check that with someone else here?

    You are correct - centre-positive.

    > Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
    > relevance too?

    That indicates that the appliance is double-insulated - which is of little
    relevance in this context.

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 5, 2008
  9. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thanx to everyone!

    Alan, Aug 5, 2008
  10. Alan

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-08-04, Alan <> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > We have an external HDD for which we have lost the power adapter
    > (probably thrown out during a shift recently).
    >
    > However, we have a plethora of power supplies lying around, and the
    > drive enclosure states what it needs I think. I would just like to
    > check with you all as to what it means!
    >
    > It reads:
    >
    > 12V (DC Symbol) 0-2.0A (Set at 1.5A)
    >
    > Now I know that 12V means it needs a 12 volt supply, and the symbol I
    > looked up and it means Direct Current (of course).
    >
    > It is the amperage that I am concerned about. Does it mean that I can
    > plug in any supply that puts out 12V DC at anything between zero and
    > two amps? Is the 1.5A the recommended output?
    >
    > If I recall correctly from many years ago at school, the device would
    > determine its power draw (in amps), and so I am thinking that as long
    > as the supply I plug in can deliver enough amps, it doesn't matter if
    > it is rated higher. However, I would like to get a second opinion on
    > that!!
    >
    > Only other issue is trying all the plugs to find one that fits ;-)

    No it is not, polarity is.

    Gordon, Aug 5, 2008
  11. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > Alan wrote:
    >

    >> Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
    >> label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:
    >>
    >> http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png
    >>
    >> It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
    >> on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
    >> think means that it is centre-positive.
    >>
    >> Can I check that with someone else here?

    > Clear as anything to me, yes, center positive, which is pretty much
    > the norm for things since the outter of the jack is normally tied to
    > the chassis.
    >
    >> Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
    >> relevance too?

    > Yes, it means its double insulated, which is also the norm for things
    > like that. Why its on the HDD tho is a mystery, since it specifically
    > refers to appliances that are mains powered, not DC powered.
    >
    > I would suggest getting a double insulated PSU (most are) just incase
    > they are indicating a requirement for it for grounding issues.

    Good to know that my guess at what the symbol meant wasn't too far from the
    mark. (Not that I advocate relying on guesswork when it comes to things
    electrical.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2008
  12. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I found a power supply in our collection that looks like it will be
    fine, but just to be as sure as I can, I figured I'd come back here to
    see what you think.

    This is the one I found that I think will meet my requirements (it is
    actually from another external HDD I think, albeit a different make /
    model):

    http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6288/powerpackrs8.png

    You might have to zoom in to 100% to get a good look at it - on my
    browser it 'fits to height' and doesn't scale very well. If using
    IE7, just click on the picture once and it'll zoom to 100% (haven't
    got FF on this machine so not sure with that off the top of my head).

    Looks good to me though:

    12V
    2A
    Centre-Positive

    I checked the connector (unplugged!), and it fits in physically, so
    that's all good.

    Unless anyone tells me otherwise, I guess I'll plug it in, stand back,
    and throw the switch on the wall socket and see what happens. If it
    all appears to be okay, I'll connect the USB up to an older PC (to be
    safe) and go from there.

    What do you think?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Aug 5, 2008
  13. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Alan" typed:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I found a power supply in our collection that looks like it will be
    > fine, but just to be as sure as I can, I figured I'd come back here to
    > see what you think.
    >
    > This is the one I found that I think will meet my requirements (it is
    > actually from another external HDD I think, albeit a different make /
    > model):
    >
    > http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6288/powerpackrs8.png
    >
    > You might have to zoom in to 100% to get a good look at it - on my
    > browser it 'fits to height' and doesn't scale very well. If using
    > IE7, just click on the picture once and it'll zoom to 100% (haven't
    > got FF on this machine so not sure with that off the top of my head).
    >
    > Looks good to me though:
    >
    > 12V
    > 2A
    > Centre-Positive

    Yep, looks good to me too.

    > I checked the connector (unplugged!), and it fits in physically, so
    > that's all good.
    >
    > Unless anyone tells me otherwise, I guess I'll plug it in, stand back,
    > and throw the switch on the wall socket and see what happens. If it
    > all appears to be okay, I'll connect the USB up to an older PC (to be
    > safe) and go from there.
    >
    > What do you think?

    I'd plug it in and hit the switch. Seems like a perfect match.

    Good luck (not that you should need it...).
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2008
  14. On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:22:26 +1200, Alan <> wrote in

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I found a power supply in our collection that looks like it will be
    > fine, but just to be as sure as I can, I figured I'd come back here to
    > see what you think.
    >
    > This is the one I found that I think will meet my requirements (it is
    > actually from another external HDD I think, albeit a different make /
    > model):
    >
    > http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6288/powerpackrs8.png
    >
    > You might have to zoom in to 100% to get a good look at it - on my
    > browser it 'fits to height' and doesn't scale very well. If using
    > IE7, just click on the picture once and it'll zoom to 100% (haven't
    > got FF on this machine so not sure with that off the top of my head).
    >
    > Looks good to me though:
    >
    > 12V
    > 2A
    > Centre-Positive
    >
    > I checked the connector (unplugged!), and it fits in physically, so
    > that's all good.
    >
    > Unless anyone tells me otherwise, I guess I'll plug it in, stand back,
    > and throw the switch on the wall socket and see what happens. If it
    > all appears to be okay, I'll connect the USB up to an older PC (to be
    > safe) and go from there.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Sounds good to go. Just wait for the smoke to clear. (joke!)

    --
    - Nic.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 6, 2008
  15. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Mark Robinson" typed:
    > Alan wrote:
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> I found a power supply in our collection that looks like it will be
    >> fine, but just to be as sure as I can, I figured I'd come back here
    >> to see what you think.
    >>
    >> This is the one I found that I think will meet my requirements (it is
    >> actually from another external HDD I think, albeit a different make /
    >> model):
    >>
    >> http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6288/powerpackrs8.png
    >>
    >> You might have to zoom in to 100% to get a good look at it - on my
    >> browser it 'fits to height' and doesn't scale very well. If using
    >> IE7, just click on the picture once and it'll zoom to 100% (haven't
    >> got FF on this machine so not sure with that off the top of my head).
    >>
    >> Looks good to me though:
    >>
    >> 12V
    >> 2A
    >> Centre-Positive
    >>
    >> I checked the connector (unplugged!), and it fits in physically, so
    >> that's all good.
    >>
    >> Unless anyone tells me otherwise, I guess I'll plug it in, stand
    >> back, and throw the switch on the wall socket and see what happens. If it
    >> all appears to be okay, I'll connect the USB up to an older PC
    >> (to be safe) and go from there.
    >>
    >> What do you think?

    > Is it very heavy ? (like is has a lump of iron in it)
    >
    > If so I'd be careful. I can't see the word 'regulated' on it anywhere.
    >
    > If it's reasonably light it should be well worth a go as it will be an
    > electronic switch mode device and will be regulated.

    That got me curious so I looked at all my in-use power supplies that I could
    see the labels of (cordless phone, 24" LCD TV, ADSL modem/router...) and
    about 18 others that I have in a drawer, including old Commodore computer
    in-line PSUs, and not one of them had the word "regulated" on it. Some were
    very heavy for their size. One did say "stabilised" though.

    Now my back hurts, it was a bottom drawer. :-(

    (Oh dear, lateral thinking can be a worry at times. I had visions of a
    sketch artist who only draws backsides after writing the last line.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 6, 2008
  16. On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:13:37 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote in <news:489908d1$>:

    > [...]
    > Now my back hurts, it was a bottom drawer. :-(
    >
    > (Oh dear, lateral thinking can be a worry at times. I had visions of a
    > sketch artist who only draws backsides after writing the last line.)

    What an absolute bummer!

    --
    - Nic.
    (grinning, ducking, running)

    .... Catastrophe: Award for the cat with the nicest bum.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 6, 2008
  17. Alan

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-04, Alan <> wrote:

    > What would happen if I found a supply that was 12V DC output of at
    > least 2A but was the wrong way round (positive - negative) and plugged
    > it in?
    >
    > Would it just not work, or would it cause harm?

    if yer lucky 'just not work'.
    otherise permanent damage.

    Panasonic makes cordless phones with the centre conductor negative but
    pretty much everything else has centre positive, the panasonic phones
    smoke a bit if you give them centre positive, but they seem to
    survive it if it's not for too long.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Aug 7, 2008
  18. Alan

    Jasen Betts Guest

    > Okay, I went back and you are all right (of course!) so I scanned the
    > label with the symbol on it, but it is hard to see:
    >
    > http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3910/posornegmm6.png

    > It really is there if you look closely, but hard to see due to being
    > on black - you might have to zoom in, but there is a symbol that I
    > think means that it is centre-positive.

    Centre positive, yes.

    > Is the thing on the left (two squares, one inside the other) of any
    > relevance too?

    This means it's Double-insulated, and the output is not grounded.
    This is good as the pc itself is grounded and so by not having a
    ground path through the psu you wont get ground loops. through the
    drive.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Aug 7, 2008
  19. Alan

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-05, Alan <> wrote:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I found a power supply in our collection that looks like it will be
    > fine, but just to be as sure as I can, I figured I'd come back here to
    > see what you think.
    >
    > This is the one I found that I think will meet my requirements (it is
    > actually from another external HDD I think, albeit a different make /
    > model):
    >
    > http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6288/powerpackrs8.png

    looks good. a quick google for the model number suggests that it's
    compatible with atleast some external drives, which means the 12V
    well enough regulated to operate disk drives.

    > You might have to zoom in to 100% to get a good look at it - on my
    > browser it 'fits to height' and doesn't scale very well. If using
    > IE7, just click on the picture once and it'll zoom to 100% (haven't
    > got FF on this machine so not sure with that off the top of my head).

    In mozilla I got a scroll-bar straight-off, and clicking scales it,

    > I checked the connector (unplugged!), and it fits in physically, so
    > that's all good.
    >
    > Unless anyone tells me otherwise, I guess I'll plug it in, stand back,
    > and throw the switch on the wall socket and see what happens. If it
    > all appears to be okay, I'll connect the USB up to an older PC (to be
    > safe) and go from there.
    >
    > What do you think?

    go for it!

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Aug 7, 2008
  20. Alan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:13:37 +1200, ~misfit~ <>
    > wrote in <news:489908d1$>:
    >

    >> [...]
    >> Now my back hurts, it was a bottom drawer. :-(
    >>
    >> (Oh dear, lateral thinking can be a worry at times. I had visions of
    >> a sketch artist who only draws backsides after writing the last
    >> line.)

    > What an absolute bummer!

    LMAO!
    --