External HD Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Luke O'Malley, Jun 7, 2007.

  1. Well I've heard about it; now I am going to scream!

    I am using a Toshiba Satellite LapTop running XP Home SP2 (NTFS). I
    was running a program called AcuteFinder which identifies duplicate
    files, and then you can delete them or not. I was working with a
    two very large folders (about 68,000 files) on the external HD and
    the program had passed the identification phase and was now erasing
    the ones I had selected. I was doing a small portion, that is, I
    was erasing about 700 files. It seems my laptop overheated and
    abruptly shut down - bang! Everything went instantly black (it
    happen twice before on two occasions. I though I had cured the
    problem.). At the time I was working on these two folders on my
    external HD(FAT32). It is a WD 250g Book HD and has the built in
    facility so that it shuts down when the computer does. 'Naturally'
    it shut down also.

    When I rebooted the laptop I could no longer access the HD; the msg
    said it was not formatted!!! Upon retrying the msg said the path
    did not exist. When I go to 'My Computer' it shows the drive. Is
    there anything I can do short of some form of self-mutilation or
    suicide?

    Someone suggested that a program calle "GetBack' could solve my
    problem. Is there any way of 'formatting' just the section of the
    HD where it seems to be missing? Any other programs that might be
    helpful will be a gift to me. Please help!

    Goodwill,
    Luke
    Luke O'Malley, Jun 7, 2007

  2. Luke O'Malley

    PeeCee Guest

    "Luke O'Malley" <> wrote in message
    > Well I've heard about it; now I am going to scream!
    >
    > I am using a Toshiba Satellite LapTop running XP Home SP2 (NTFS). I
    > was running a program called AcuteFinder which identifies duplicate
    > files, and then you can delete them or not. I was working with a
    > two very large folders (about 68,000 files) on the external HD and
    > the program had passed the identification phase and was now erasing
    > the ones I had selected. I was doing a small portion, that is, I
    > was erasing about 700 files. It seems my laptop overheated and
    > abruptly shut down - bang! Everything went instantly black (it
    > happen twice before on two occasions. I though I had cured the
    > problem.). At the time I was working on these two folders on my
    > external HD(FAT32). It is a WD 250g Book HD and has the built in
    > facility so that it shuts down when the computer does. 'Naturally'
    > it shut down also.
    >
    > When I rebooted the laptop I could no longer access the HD; the msg
    > said it was not formatted!!! Upon retrying the msg said the path
    > did not exist. When I go to 'My Computer' it shows the drive. Is
    > there anything I can do short of some form of self-mutilation or
    > suicide?
    >
    > Someone suggested that a program calle "GetBack' could solve my
    > problem. Is there any way of 'formatting' just the section of the
    > HD where it seems to be missing? Any other programs that might be
    > helpful will be a gift to me. Please help!
    >
    > Goodwill,
    > Luke

    Luke

    Hard drive's can completely scramble sections of themselves if you power
    them off in the middle of a write.
    Programs like 'GetBack' or 'PC Inspector' "may" get "some" of your files
    back, but most of them work on the premise the file has been just deleted.
    Dealing with a scrambled FAT (File allocation table) is another kettle of
    fish altogether.

    Do "not" use any utility that will "fix" errors on the drive until you are
    certain no more can be done to recover your files. Fix utilities write data
    to the drive. You can almost guarantee any thing written to the drive in
    these circumstances will just complicate matters.

    If the data is at all mission critical then cut your losses and take the
    drive to a data recovery expert.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 7, 2007