    Disk Into Drive F:"

    I've Googled the problem,but have yet to find a solution.

    I'm running a P4,WinXP with 768 mb's RAM.

    Armitage, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Armitage

    Peaches Guest

    "Armitage" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a 300 GB external HD connected to my computer via USB;the drive
    > worked like a charm until yesterday when I installed a new printer which
    > also connects to my computer via USB.
    >
    > Now when I try to access the drive I get a prompt that says "Please Insert
    > Disk Into Drive F:"
    >
    > I've Googled the problem,but have yet to find a solution.
    >
    > I'm running a P4,WinXP with 768 mb's RAM.

    Probably a resource conflict:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575/en-us

    Peaches, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Armitage

    Dan Evans Guest

    >I have a 300 GB external HD connected to my computer via USB;the drive
    > worked like a charm until yesterday when I installed a new printer which
    > also connects to my computer via USB.
    >
    > Now when I try to access the drive I get a prompt that says "Please Insert
    > Disk Into Drive F:"

    Is it a photo printer with a card reader built in? If so then the printer is
    being recognised first, so the card reader is being allocated a drive letter
    before the external drive.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 19, 2006
  4. Armitage

    Armitage Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "Armitage" <nomail@thisaddress> wrote in message
    > >I have a 300 GB external HD connected to my computer via USB;the drive
    > > worked like a charm until yesterday when I installed a new printer which
    > > also connects to my computer via USB.
    > >
    > > Now when I try to access the drive I get a prompt that says "Please

    Insert
    > > Disk Into Drive F:"

    > Is it a photo printer with a card reader built in?

    Yes,it is a photo printer with a card reader.

    >If so then the printer is
    > being recognised first, so the card reader is being allocated a drive

    letter
    > before the external drive.

    After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
    external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
    How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?

    Armitage, Apr 19, 2006
  5. Armitage

    Ulf Seibelt Guest

    Armitage wrote:

    > After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
    > external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
    > How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?

    How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844

    Ulf

    Ulf Seibelt, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Armitage

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:44:29 +0200, Ulf Seibelt wrote:

    > Armitage wrote:
    >>
    >> After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
    >> external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
    >> How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?
    >>

    > How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844

    Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction or
    make a malfuncting drive function once again?

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Armitage

    Ulf Seibelt Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:

    > > Armitage wrote:
    > >>
    > >> After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for the
    > >> external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
    > >> How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?
    > >>

    > > How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844
    > >

    > Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction or
    > make a malfuncting drive function once again?

    It would not. I assume that the drive has no problem at all.
    It only seemed to "Armitage" that it doesn't work because he
    tried to access F: but this is its card reader now.

    Ulf Seibelt, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Armitage

    Armitage Guest

    "Ulf Seibelt" <> wrote in message
    > Meat Plow wrote:

    for the

    again?

    > > > How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844
    > > >

    > > Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction

    or
    > > make a malfuncting drive function once again?

    > It would not. I assume that the drive has no problem at all.
    > It only seemed to "Armitage" that it doesn't work because he
    > tried to access F: but this is its card reader now.

    You would be correct.
    The HD functioned just fine,but I could not access it,after changing the
    drive letter to G: I am now able to access the drive.

    Thanks for the help.

    Armitage, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Armitage

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:44:29 +0200, Ulf Seibelt wrote:
    >
    >> Armitage wrote:
    >>>
    >>> After doing a bit of poking around I noticed that the drive letter for
    >>> the
    >>> external hard drive has been changed from F: to G:
    >>> How do I correct this problem and get the external drive working again?
    >>>

    >> How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844
    >>

    > Why would changing the drive letter make an external drive malfunction or
    > make a malfuncting drive function once again?

    It's not malfunctioning, but the OP is wanting to access the drive through
    F:\ where the USB drive was before, but now F:\ is an empty card reader.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 19, 2006