External harddrives?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. In article <3f162e9d$>, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    >backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    >have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    >What should I watch for?

    What about an external CD writer instead. Probably better if it's for backups
    ?

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Joy, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Joy Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    message news:CaqRa.5347$...
    > In article <3f162e9d$>, "Joy" <> wrote:
    > >They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > >backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    > >have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > >What should I watch for?

    > What about an external CD writer instead. Probably better if it's for

    backups

    But it can't back up 4 gigs, can it.
    Joy

    Joy, Jul 17, 2003
  4. Bruce Sinclair

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f1631a0$...

    > "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    > message news:CaqRa.5347$...
    > > In article <3f162e9d$>, "Joy" <> wrote:
    > > >They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > > >backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy

    and
    > > >have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > > >What should I watch for?

    > > What about an external CD writer instead. Probably better if it's for

    > backups
    >
    > But it can't back up 4 gigs, can it.
    > Joy

    A DVD writer will do 4 Gigs plus a bit more.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > > They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > > backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy

    and
    > > have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > > What should I watch for?
    > > Joy
    > >

    > Have you thought about a DVD writer? They are becoming more affordable

    LOL
    I should've looked at your post first.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 17, 2003
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Joy Guest

    > > They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > > backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy

    and
    > > have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > > What should I watch for?
    > > Joy
    > >

    > Have you thought about a DVD writer? They are becoming more affordable

    No I haven't. All three pc.s have cdwrite drives and I thought only one
    year ago, that these, which I installed myself, would be the best way to
    store and exchange data. However, the data has grown to such a degree that
    this method is insufficient and a pain to keep track of. So could the
    altenative be a DVD drive, oh my gosh, if you take a few months off reading
    pc stuff, you're suddenly ignorant again (like me!).
    Joy

    Joy, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Bruce Sinclair

    Joy Guest

    > > They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > > backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy

    and
    > > have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > > What should I watch for?
    > > Joy
    > >

    > Have you thought about a DVD writer? They are becoming more affordable

    And again, just a quick on the internet indicated that a firewire device
    would need to be installed on each pc to cope with the new DVD technology.
    Have you any idea of the cost?
    Joy

    Joy, Jul 17, 2003
  8. Bruce Sinclair

    colinco Guest

    In article <3f162e9d$>, Joy wrote...
    > They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    > have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > What should I watch for?
    > Joy

    Are these PCs in different locations or networked together? You could
    backup individual PCs to others on the same network. Short of fire or
    theft that would be one answer. Portable HDs are vulnerable to rough
    handling.

    colinco, Jul 17, 2003
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    lily Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f165901$...

    > "Acid" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Joy" <> wrote in message

    > > > They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to

    do
    > > > backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy

    > and
    > > > have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > > > What should I watch for?
    > > > Joy
    > > >

    > > Have you thought about a DVD writer? They are becoming more affordable

    > And again, just a quick on the internet indicated that a firewire device
    > would need to be installed on each pc to cope with the new DVD technology.
    > Have you any idea of the cost?
    > Joy

    ~$70 buys a USB2 or Firewire PCI card
    USB1 is a bit slow for backing up 4GB
    Best value would probably be to network yr 3 pcs and backup to one internal
    drive

    lily, Jul 17, 2003
  10. Bruce Sinclair

    back again Guest

    Roger Johnstone <> wrote in news:20030717192701975+1200
    @news.inv.ihug.co.nz:

    @clear.net.
    >> nz...
    >>>
    >>> "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>> in message news:CaqRa.5347$...

    like

    >> and

    >>> backups
    >>>
    >>> But it can't back up 4 gigs, can it.
    >>> Joy

    >> A DVD writer will do 4 Gigs plus a bit more.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > But it can't back up 5 gigs, can it.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Seriously though, while I only use a CD writer myself, a FireWire or

    USB
    > 2 hard drive is generally much faster and available in much larger
    > capacities. If you're worried about making multiple incremental

    backups
    > and storing them off-site, then a removable disk like a CD is

    obviously
    > better. But if you're the sort who just wants to make a backup in the
    > unlikely event that something happens to the computer, an external

    hard
    > drive is
    > very handy.

    I use an external USB2 drive quite a bit, and it is convenient, but a
    DVD-RW drive would be very useful too, because it allows you to keep
    backups of different machines/users on seperate media, allows you to
    easily incrementally add to your capacity at minimal cost (approx $15
    per DVD+RW 4.7GB disk, less for one off archives to DVD+R media), and
    means if you drop the drive, the other backup copies will still be
    readable in a DVD-reader unit.

    I'm being tempted by an HP DVD+RW drive @ $360+GST :)

    Mark

    back again, Jul 17, 2003
  11. Bruce Sinclair

    Robert Guest

    External hard disk dies - no backups for any PC's.

    Robert, Jul 17, 2003
  12. Bruce Sinclair

    Joy Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > External hard disk dies - no backups for any PC's.

    Good point.
    Joy

    Joy, Jul 17, 2003
  13. Bruce Sinclair

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:59:04 +1200, "Acid" <> wrote:

    >"Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f162e9d$...
    >> They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    >> backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    >> have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    >> What should I watch for?
    >> Joy
    >>

    >Have you thought about a DVD writer? They are becoming more affordable

    Looking on the Paradigm site: ICE ME320U2 USB2 to IDE external hard
    drive enclosure, $126 including USB2 cable (all PCs would need USB).

    Seagate Barracuda 5400.1 40Gb drive, $128.

    Loads cheaper than a DVD writer, especially an external one.

    GraB, Jul 17, 2003
  14. Bruce Sinclair

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <3f1631a0$>, says...

    > "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    > message news:CaqRa.5347$...
    > > In article <3f162e9d$>, "Joy" <> wrote:
    > > >They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > > >backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    > > >have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > > >What should I watch for?

    > > What about an external CD writer instead. Probably better if it's for

    > backups
    >
    > But it can't back up 4 gigs, can it.

    If you need to back up that much regularly you should be looking at a
    tape drive.

    Mainlander, Jul 17, 2003
  15. Bruce Sinclair

    MarkH Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in news:3f162e9d$:

    > They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    > have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > What should I watch for?
    > Joy

    I have an external USB2 HDD enclosure. I can transfer about 1GB/minute
    when connected to USB2, but it takes about 17 minutes per GB when
    connecting it to a USB1.1 port.

    If you need to back up several GB from each PC you will really want them to
    all have USB2. You should be able to get a USB2 PCI card for under $50 (If
    you can’t then contact me and I’ll get you one).

    You also need either two HDDs or you could transfer the data to another PC,
    a backup on one single disk is not really safe enough. One option is to
    maintain a backup server with a tape drive and to copy the data on the
    external drive to the backup server, which in turn backs it up to tape.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jul 17, 2003
  16. Bruce Sinclair

    Joy Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message news:3f162e9d$...
    > They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    > backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    > have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    > What should I watch for?
    > Joy

    I'd like to add to this message by saying that the reason for this flurry of
    activity is that we have been asked to find a copy of work done seven years
    ago because of a pc network meltdown somewhere else in the country. Despite
    gathering up all floppys from every conceivable nook and cranny we can't
    find any copies. The pc's we owned then have either been donated or
    reformated and it seems the work needs to be done again. SHAME. It brought
    home to us that we have been lucky not to have suffered the same fate.
    Joy

    Joy, Jul 17, 2003
  17. In article <3f1631a0$>, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote in
    >message news:CaqRa.5347$...
    >> In article <3f162e9d$>, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >> >They seem quite expensive but I'm thinking of buying one tomorrow to do
    >> >backups on different pcs. I'm hoping that I can use it like a floppy and
    >> >have different partitions for different pc's. Is this possible.
    >> >What should I watch for?

    >> What about an external CD writer instead. Probably better if it's for

    >backups
    >
    >But it can't back up 4 gigs, can it.

    Not in 1 hit AFAIK. Maybe you need a DVD writer ? ... think that will.
    Do you need image backups ?

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 21, 2003